SportsWrath

Do you think

NeMesiS

New England has employed ball control and eating up clock with the running game and short passing game in recent years. The teams that score 50 points dont score 50 points on them.

New England has employed ball control and eating up clock with the running game and short passing game in recent years. The teams that score 50 points dont score 50 points on them.

That has more to do with the horribly underrated Patriots defence.

That has more to do with the horribly underrated Patriots defence.

I really dont think it does. That team was keeping the ball for 8-9 minutes a quarter. Considering a 60 minute game, the Patriots averaged about 38 minutes of possession to opponents 22. That is absolutely insane. You cant score points if you dont have the ball, which sounds like a John Madden quote.

An offense dedicated to Barkley with Evan Engram, Tate, and Shepard converting first downs is actually a really good defense against the higher scoring offenses and a logical evolution to the devotion to the passing game that other teams employ as it currently exists. Especially when defenses cant touch the quarterback or receivers without drawing fouls anymore. And now PI is reviewable.

I really dont think it does. That team was keeping the ball for 8-9 minutes a quarter. Considering a 60 minute game, the Patriots averaged about 38 minutes of possession to opponents 22. That is absolutely insane. You cant score points if you dont have the ball, which sounds like a John Madden quote.

An offense dedicated to Barkley with Evan Engram, Tate, and Shepard converting first downs is actually a really good defense against the higher scoring offenses and a logical evolution to the devotion to the passing game that other teams employ as it currently exists. Especially when defenses cant touch the quarterback or receivers without drawing fouls anymore. And now PI is reviewable.

Keep in mind thought offense score in less time then previous years.

Time of possession does not equoate to a good defense or a means of keeping the other team from scoring.

Not to mention in the regular season the Pats ratio was closer to 31 to 29 minutes of possesion.

Which shows me more that the defense did a better job getting the other team off the field in the playoffs which is eveident by the playoff leading 54 first downs by opposing teams.

Not saying that timeof possession is meaningless obviously if you can keep the other team off the field they won't score points but if it only takes them 2 minutes to score a TD but 8 minutes for your team to score a FG your not going to win many games.

But it does mean your team controls and even dictates the game. I dont think you can say on one hand other teams were scoring fast and that the Pats have a great defense.

But it does mean your team controls and even dictates the game. I dont think you can say on one hand other teams were scoring fast and that the Pats have a great defense.

I didnt say that to reference the pats defense was great just that it doesn't matter how long you control the ball if you can't stop the opposing team from passing on you.

The Patriots had the ball for over 40 mins of possession time which in your opinion was the best defence for a team like the Chiefs in the AFC championship game, but the Chiefs still hung 30 points because in the 20 minutes they had the ball they could score with ease and quickly.

That's my point ball control means nothing if you can't stop the other team from passing or if your team can't keep up with them.

You can't just didctate one side of the game and expect win.

Maybe not 2000 it's a passing league and you need to keep up with teams putting up 50 points a game.

However I can easily see Barkley getting 1000 rushing and receiving yards in a season, maybe even multiple years.

It's only a passing league until teams adjust and overload on DBs, then it's a running league again.. shit, we've seen a shift back to the running game in the last 2 or 3 years...

It's only a passing league until teams adjust and overload on DBs, then it's a running league again.. shit, we've seen a shift back to the running game in the last 2 or 3 years...

not yet we haven't..... rushing yards/attempts have been down year over year for like a decade now.

But I think your thought is correct in that when the league goes one direction, some teams will find success by going the opposite direction.

not yet we haven't..... rushing yards/attempts have been down year over year for like a decade now.

But I think your thought is correct in that when the league goes one direction, some teams will find success by going the opposite direction.

Correct.. my outlook is forward thinking which is why I see teams like the Cowboys, Giants, Rams, and now the Eagles heading back to the running game.. And that's my type of football anyway.