SportsWrath

Texas Rangers News

Virginia Giant

A's are going to turn it up. They are too talented not to turn things around. They need Frank Thomas to step it up though.

Funny thing about Frank Thomas. Once the umps widened his strike zone to match the rest of the players, he stopped being a force. Overated. Did Beanie finally make a mistake?

• 1 month later...
Rangers just aquired Lee. Wow.

link

Looks pretty good if he can play defense. I don't follow him. I think they also need to get another starter. Maybe they should go after Pettitte since he'd probably like to stay in Texas.

The Brewers are trading slugger Carlos Lee to the Rangers as part of a multi-player deal, ESPN's Keith Law has learned. The Brewers are sending Lee, Nelson Cruz and a player to be named to Texas for reliever Francisco Cordero and outfielders Kevin Mench and Laynce Nix. Both teams are working on the medicials.

• 1 month later...
Thome in the tenth. Considering I completely forgot about drafting first basemen, I guess that is pretty good. But he is coming off elbow surgery and a poor season. So I see potential in him and he very well could be one of the steals of the draft. However, I want to get a guy that I can rely on more.

:LMAO:

• 3 weeks later...
Funny thing about Frank Thomas. Once the umps widened his strike zone to match the rest of the players, he stopped being a force. Overated. Did Beanie finally make a mistake?

No, you did. Thomas had a helluva year.

• 2 months later...

Rangers moves offseason 2006

* Signed P Vicente Padilla to 3 years $33 million with 4th year option at $12 million

* Signed CF Marlon Byrd to 1 year deal

* Signed CF Kenny Lofton to 1 year $6 million

* Signed P Eric Gange to 1 year $6 million

• 4 weeks later...

Latest News from Rangerville on Michael Young. Rangers are going to talk contract extension before the end the offseason. Mike is not overly eager to resign but said he will sit down and listen to any offers from the Rangers. He said if the Rangers want an extension they need to treat it like free agency because thats what it is. Bottom line, he wants to get paid and the Rangers damn well better give him a blank check.

Oh, he's signed through this year with club option for 2008 at 4 million dollars I think.

Latest News from Rangerville on Michael Young. Rangers are going to talk contract extension before the end the offseason. Mike is not overly eager to resign but said he will sit down and listen to any offers from the Rangers. He said if the Rangers want an extension they need to treat it like free agency because thats what it is. Bottom line, he wants to get paid and the Rangers damn well better give him a blank check.

Oh, he's signed through this year with club option for 2008 at 4 million dollars I think.

I thought he was a nicer guy...but this market now...oh boy.

I thought he was a nicer guy...but this market now...oh boy.

Yeah, it kinda dissappointed me how greedy he came off sounding in the article, but you know he's been well underpaid and has been a team guy the whole time, the Rangers should have really talked to him a couple years ago about restructuring his contract to make it more friendly to him. Hopefully we just have enough sense to pay him whatever he wants, normally I would't say that, but Mike is the ultimate Ranger, and needs to stay at all cost.

Here's the article BTW.

Young stepping up offseason workouts

All-Star shortstop in Texas working with hitting coach Jaramillo

By T.R. Sullivan / MLB.com

Michael Young has been excited by the Rangers' offseason moves, particularly the hiring of manager Ron Washington. (Linda Kaye/AP)

Related Links

• Young's career stats

• Spring Training tickets on sale now

• Buy a Young jersey

Rangers Headlines

• Young stepping up offseason workouts

• Rangers still waiting on lefty Mulder

• Rangers mailbag: Who will hit cleanup?

• Rangers Round Up tours Texas

• Rangers, Fox Sports Grill to host kickoff party

• More Rangers Headlines

MLB Headlines

• Gwynn, Ripken take New York by storm |

• Day of celebration continues for Gwynn |

• Flood of memories for Cal |

• Pedro not rushing his return

• Cardinals sign Mulder to two-year deal

• More MLB Headlines

ADVERTISEMENT

print this page | e-mail this page

• Young's bio, career stats

• Get your Spring Training tickets

• Shop for latest Rangers gear

ARLINGTON -- Spring Training is still over a month away, but on a cold January morning, the hands and wrists were still as quick as ever, and Michael Young was smacking the baseball all over the Rangers' indoor batting cage.

He has batted over .300 and collected over 200 hits in the past four seasons, but Young has already begun preparing to do it a fifth straight time. He spends his offseason at his California home, but is in Texas this week on personal business and to work with hitting coach Rudy Jaramillo.

"It's been a great offseason," Young said Tuesday while sharing batting cage time with Mark Teixeira and Ian Kinsler. "I'm putting everything I can into getting ready for the '07 season. I do most of my work at my home in California, but I want to have a good solid base going into Spring Training, and working with Rudy is always helpful."

Young's positive view of the offseason extends to what the Rangers have done as a team, from the hiring of manager Ron Washington to the moves general manager Jon Daniels made to improve the team.

In Young's mind, the Rangers are going to be a contender this season.

"Absolutely," Young said. "That's my only goal, winning in '07. We have great arms in the bullpen, we've strengthened the starting rotation and the offense is going to score runs. All we need to do is put it all together. I'm really looking forward to Spring Training."

Young was thrilled with the decision to hire Washington, who spent the past 11 seasons as a coach for the Oakland Athletics. Washington was hired on Nov. 6 to replace Buck Showalter.

"I love Wash," Young said. "He's going to be a very positive thing for our club. I have a great deal of admiration and respect for Wash. His energy level is going to be infectious and I expect all the guys to feed off that.

"I remember that first Spring Training [in 2004] when I switched to shortstop, and he was giving me tips from the third-base coaching box. It was nothing big, but I remember thinking, 'This is a guy who really cares about helping other players improve.' I had been playing shortstop for about a week, and the fact that he was willing to help out another player was very impressive."

Young was one of the first players that Washington met with after becoming manager.

"We just talked about what we need to do in '07," Young said. "I know people like to talk about the long-term future of the Rangers, but I know as a player the task at hand is the '07 season. Wash has some great ideas he wants to use in Spring Training, and he wanted my thoughts.

"He was open to new information. I like the fact that he's a player's manager in every sense of the word. In baseball, you feed off energy and you like to surround yourself with positive people. You don't get better than Ron Washington. You like the fact he believes in this team and these players and feels we can do great things."

Young has paid close attention to the Rangers' offseason moves. The winter started off badly with the departure of Gary Matthews Jr., Mark DeRosa, Adam Eaton, Carlos Lee and, eventually, catcher Rod Barajas as free agents.

But the Rangers have not just sat around and counted their losses. Pitcher Vicente Padilla was re-signed, while outfielders Kenny Lofton, Frank Catalanotto and Marlon Byrd, as well as reliever Eric Gagne, were added. Texas also addressed the starting rotation by acquiring pitcher Brandon McCarthy for Minor League pitchers John Danks, Nick Masset and Jacob Rasner.

"I think it's gone well," Young said. "We lost some key guys, but we have some guys who can compete for jobs, and Eric Gagne was a great addition to our bullpen. We have a young bullpen and there's no better guy to learn from than Eric Gagne. I think Brandon McCarthy has a chance to do great things, and I think we're all very excited to see what Robinson [Tejeda] can do for a full season.

"We have stability in our rotation. There's only one job open. I've gone into Spring Training before where we have just one guy and four jobs open."

The Rangers have lost some offensive firepower with the departure of Lee, DeRosa, Matthews and Barajas, but Young said he has no concerns about the offense.

"Absolutely no concerns," Young said. "We have some talented guys and we have some great additions. Lofton had a great year last season, Catalanotto had a great season, [Teixeira] and I should continue to do our jobs, I think Hank Blalock is going to rebound and have a great year and I think it's only a matter of time before Ian Kinsler takes off.

"Our offense is going to score runs."

The Rangers will likely try to do one more major move, and that's sign Young to a long-term contract extension. He is signed through this season with a $4 million option for 2008 that is a lock to be picked up by the Rangers.

But Daniels said the club would like to sit down with Young's agent, Dan Lozano, before the end of the offseason and talk about beyond 2008.

"My agent and I have talked about it, and we'll listen to what the team has to say and go from there," Young said. "We have a strong belief in where we are at and about where we fall in line as far as the marketplace. At the same time, we're willing to sit down with the team and listen to what they say."

There is a lot of work to be done. Young signed a four-year, $10.5 million contract at the start of the 2004 season with the option for 2008, and there's no doubt he has been well underpaid as a three-time All-Star shortstop. Young has made it clear that the next contract must be more in line with current market value.

"There's no doubt about that," Young said. "The first contract was advantageous for the team and that's fine. It was fine at the time. But if they want to talk about an extension, they need to treat it like free agency because that's exactly what it is."

The next move seems to be up to the Rangers. Young is in no hurry. Spring Training approaches, he is excited about baseball and his team again, and his focus is solely on the upcoming season.

"As an organization, I'm sure that's where they want my focus," Young said. "I'm a player and my responsibility is to help us win. That's what this season is all about. The '07 season is important to me, nothing else. I'm excited to get started."

Thing is, he is right.

Oh I know, I don't fault him a bit. But I always looked at his as a "I'd play this game for nothing" kinda guy, or a guy in the mold of Ripken, wanting to stay on the same team his entire career. But like i said, I don't fault him for wanting the $$.

Oh I know, I don't fault him a bit. But I always looked at his as a "I'd play this game for nothing" kinda guy, or a guy in the mold of Ripken, wanting to stay on the same team his entire career. But like i said, I don't fault him for wanting the $$.

At least he's not demanding Beckham money.

• 1 month later...

I figure with the 2007 regular season approaching i'd update this thread since Nem and the Mods were nice enough to leave it pinned for me.

I'll also do live games and game results during the season.

So, as for an update to where we are now.

Well, the big news is that Michael young has been resigned through 2013 with a 5 year $80 Million contract. now we can get to work on Teixeira.

Wilkerson Working His Way Back

Gold Looks Golden (Also Other Minor League News)

Soso's First Home Run of Spring

Teixeira Getting Work In

Tejada Looks Strong

Rangers Mailbag with T.R. Sullivan

The Rangers are 3-1 in Spring Training.

how does Sosa look? I am very curious on how he is going to do, post steroid hearing.

From what i can gather he's looking decent. Everyone says he's in stellar shape, just needs to exact his timing.

They said in batting practice he put 3 shots out that would have been past the visitors bullpen at Ameriquest