SportsWrath

Brad Wing

Lughead

I've been saying it for a long time, the CFL doesnt have a designated kicker and punter, they are just the same player.

Surprised the NFL hasnt tried to recruit a few of the guys up here since they can routinely punt and kick the ball 60+ yards.

In the early 60s the Giants had a halfback named Don Chandler who was also the punter and Placekicker. Eventually, he got traded to Green Bay, where he figured prominently in the first 2 Super Bowls.

http://goo.gl/images/c8H3Ef

True, but if you think about it, punting defenses are trying to go after the punter whereas fg/extra point defenses are jumping up trying to block the actual ball. How many roughing the kicker penalties have you seen on the kicker as opposed to the punter? My point is, if you had a hybrid guy, you'd still have to carry 2 in case the kicker/punter got hurt punting because now you don't have a kicker for extra points or f/g's. But yeah, all they do is kick, what's the difference if it's a punt or a f/g?

Punters drop kick the ball, field goal kickers have the ball placed in front of them. Punters are concerned with hang-time and direction, Kickers are going for distance and accuracy. CFL has a number of different rules and I don't know what the difference is in terms of the kicking game between the two leagues.

Punters drop kick the ball, field goal kickers have the ball placed in front of them. Punters are concerned with hang-time and direction, Kickers are going for distance and accuracy. CFL has a number of different rules and I don't know what the difference is in terms of the kicking game between the two leagues.

its still kicking. If you have the leg, it can be done

• 3 weeks later...

I just think they should sign Nas so we can give him shit and demand free stuff. They wouldn't have to pay him either so that is good for the cap right?

And we could always go for it on 4th down.

the guy has a talented leg, but a five cent head. As good as he is at punting, I think after you factor in his personal fouls and his mental lapses in other phases of the game (he's not a good holder) that he's a net negative.

Basically he sounds like the kind of guy that Reese would have loved, and that Gettleman is trying to phase out of the organization.

I still dont get how there isnt a player who can both punt and kick. Id imagine most teams would love the extra roster spot

What happens when he gets injured? Punter is usually back-up kicker and vice versa.

I bet Beckham could be a back-up kicker though.

What happens when he gets injured? Punter is usually back-up kicker and vice versa.

I bet Beckham could be a back-up kicker though.

One is strong legged beast who can kick like soccer - the punter is a ballerina type kicker who can fucking raise his leg wayyyyy above his head and twirl and baton and shit and needs some finessee and touch to kicks - depending on where you are punting from - unlike a kicker. Totally different skill sets to dedicate just one roster spot and then shit the bed in case of injury as you said.

One is strong legged beast who can kick like soccer - the punter is a ballerina type kicker who can fucking raise his leg wayyyyy above his head and twirl and baton and shit and needs some finessee and touch to kicks - depending on where you are punting from - unlike a kicker. Totally different skill sets to dedicate just one roster spot and then shit the bed in case of injury as you said.

Arent kickers and punters the same thing in college? Like no difference what so ever?

And the CFL has proven that a single player can have all those skills pretty easily.

It's why they are professional athletes because they are the top end of human condition, in most cases.