SportsWrath

Our GM is seriously fucking awesome.

Sephiroth

Taylor was the second-worst ranked pass rusher last year.

The LB we let go was the third-best ranked LB in free agency, grading out higher than anybody on the roster.

Stunner, I know.

Taylor was the second-worst ranked pass rusher last year.

The LB we let go was the third-best ranked LB in free agency, grading out higher than anybody on the roster.

Stunner, I know.

In a free agent LB market highlighted by the likes of Te'o and a 147 year old Ware.

lol

Taylor had 7 sacks in a part time role in 2015. Yes, he had a bad year last year. But he is really long, the prototype the Giants like. 6'7" 266 lbs. Last year he was the starter. This year he won't be. If he doesn't perform, he'll be behind Okwara and Avery Moss. This is a good signing, at least to have that depth going into camp. Really low risk, big upside.

Hodges is not that great. He MAYBE would've been our 5th best linebacker on the team (big maybe). If he was that great, he would've been signed back near the start of free agency, not at the end of May.

Taylor had 7 sacks in a part time role in 2015. Yes, he had a bad year last year. But he is really long, the prototype the Giants like. 6'7" 266 lbs. Last year he was the starter. This year he won't be. If he doesn't perform, he'll be behind Okwara and Avery Moss. This is a good signing, at least to have that depth going into camp. Really low risk, big upside.

Hodges is not that great. He MAYBE would've been our 5th best linebacker on the team (big maybe). If he was that great, he would've been signed back near the start of free agency, not at the end of May.

Taylor had a decent year two years ago, and a bad one last year. His other two years in the league from what I've heard were also nondescript. He had a 39.1 grade from PFF (that's bad).

Hodges had a better PFF grade than any Giants linebacker on the team. He had an 82.4 (that's good!) He'd be an immediate upgrade over literally any linebacker on the team, and again, graded out higher than any Giants linebacker. He also had a rather quiet career before this one.

I'm not sure I completely trust PFF so take that with a grain of salt, but it does go to show that Reese once again seems not to care about an entire UNIT of the team, instead choosing to sign marginal backups at positions of strength. On a team stacked at DE with Pierre-Paul, Vernon, and promising young players like Okwara, Wynn, Odigizuwa, and Moss, we signed the second-worst DE in football instead of a decent-to-good linebacker. I guess when your best player in the unit is the unstoppable Johathan Casillas (68 PFF grade) you're all set and don't need to upgrade there. Looking forward to Jason Witten over the middle for 13.

Taylor had a decent year two years ago, and a bad one last year. His other two years in the league from what I've heard were also nondescript. He had a 39.1 grade from PFF (that's bad).

Hodges had a better PFF grade than any Giants linebacker on the team. He had an 82.4 (that's good!) He'd be an immediate upgrade over literally any linebacker on the team, and again, graded out higher than any Giants linebacker. He also had a rather quiet career before this one.

I'm not sure I completely trust PFF so take that with a grain of salt, but it does go to show that Reese once again seems not to care about an entire UNIT of the team, instead choosing to sign marginal backups at positions of strength. On a team stacked at DE with Pierre-Paul, Vernon, and promising young players like Okwara, Wynn, Odigizuwa, and Moss, we signed the second-worst DE in football instead of a decent-to-good linebacker. I guess when your best player in the unit is the unstoppable Johathan Casillas (68 PFF grade) you're all set and don't need to upgrade there. Looking forward to Jason Witten over the middle for 13.

I still don't understand this argument.

Witten had his best years against the Giants in '07 when they arguably had their best LB in decades.

This year the Cowboys literally did nothing against the Giants offensively.

TE's werent a problem for this defense, lack of any sort of pressure on the QB was.

Witten had his best years against the Giants in '07 when they arguably had their best LB in decades.

TE's werent a problem for this defense, lack of any sort of pressure on the QB was.

We matched up very well against the Cowboys last season.

That's my argument.

Why does it take 10+ years to get a good linebacker on this team?

All those Super Bowl wins keep messing with our draft selection

This and players getting old. then those years of all the injuries and keeping people who just weren't worth the wait. we're lucky right now the team is where it is.

We pass on good LBs in the draft and free agency regularly.

Yes I know, yet we keep on winning. With Spagnuolo running the defense, we are talking about someone who knows the value of the linebacker in a defense. If there was a linebacker out there Spagnuolo needed, we would have signed or drafted one. He really must have a lot more faith in our linebackers than we do.

Yes I know, yet we keep on winning. With Spagnuolo running the defense, we are talking about someone who knows the value of the linebacker in a defense. If there was a linebacker out there Spagnuolo needed, we would have signed or drafted one. He really must have a lot more faith in our linebackers than we do.

We do?

Because since the Super Bowl season, our record has been 39-41. Last year was pretty awesome and that's only a losing record by one game, but coincidentally, we had our worst group of linebackers in the four years since the Super Bowl. Last year's guys were serviceable, but I don't see any of them as playmakers.

At the end of the day, Zach Cunningham and Gerald Hodges are probably going to make a lot more plays for their teams than Devin Taylor and Duke InYourNacho, who may not even make the team. I don't understand why we keep passing on good talent on a very needy unit for average-to-bad talent on the stacked ones.

I think our LBs are serviceable and they work well in Spag's D....but I get it that you want a stud, an all pro type back there and who wouldn't? Apparently, they wanted the guy who went to the Bears last year but when that didn't happen, they decided the guys they had were a better fit for their system than anyone else they could have picked in the later rounds. Looking at how the D has developed, maybe they're right. In this D, pass rush from front 4 and secondary are main staples. On some downs, there is only 1 LB on the field, other times, there are 2. Conversely, there are often 5 DBs or even 6. I'm sure they'd love to have a stud blitzing LB but again, who wouldn't? They don't just get delivered to your complex by Fed Ex. And I doubt Spags was banging on the table on draft day, screaming for an LB.

If our LBers were so fucking shitty - how come our Run D was top notch last year. Maybe Spags scheme has something to do with it - they know best. Lets let the experts do their best and lets see how we do. Its not like everyone in the organisation only wants to fucking destroy it and it is us Avengers on Sportswrath who are the only people who know how to save it now is it???

If our LBers were so fucking shitty - how come our Run D was top notch last year. Maybe Spags scheme has something to do with it - they know best. Lets let the experts do their best and lets see how we do. Its not like everyone in the organisation only wants to fucking destroy it and it is us Avengers on Sportswrath who are the only people who know how to save it now is it???

I just think if I'm able to squat 1200 lbs I work a little more on that 100lb bench press.