SportsWrath

Giants' Victor Cruz's new contract includes reduced salary and cap number

Mr. P

BOCA RATON, Fla. ‐ The Giants and wide receiver Victor Cruz agreed on a restructured contract several weeks back. It was inevitable.

After not playing for most of the past two seasons – and all of 2015 – Cruz's $9.9 million salary cap figure for 2016 was unrealistic. His $7.9 million base salary due was way more than any team would be willing to pay for a player who comes with such a substantial risk.

Cruz, 29, missed all of last season with a calf injury. The problem originally surfaced from overcompensation as he rehabbed form a torn patellar tendon in his knee suffered the previous year.

A renegotiated deal was always logical. It finally happened around the start of free agency.

And NJ Advance Media finally got a full look at the new deal on Tuesday. Here's what it looks like:

Terms: 3 years $21.5M ($2.4M guaranteed)

2016 details

$2.4M base salary

$1.9M vs. cap from previous salary cap proration

$3M roster bonus ($187.5K/game)

$100K workout bonus

Salary cap hit: $4.4 million

2017 details

$6.4M base salary

$1.9M vs. cap from previous salary cap proration

$1M roster bonus

$100K workout bonus

Salary cap hit: $9.4 million

2018 details

$7.4M base salary

$1M roster bonus

$100K workout bonus

Salary cap hit: $8.5 million

It's interesting to note that the final two years of Cruz's new deal was slightly altered from its previous version. Cruz was set to make $8.4 million in base salary in 2017 and '18. In the new deal, it's $7.4 million, with another $1 million available in the form of a roster bonus.

The roster bonus puts a deadline (some time early in the offseason) on when the Giants have to make a decision on Cruz's future in each of the next two years.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2016/03/victor_cruzs_renegotiated_contract_includes_reduce.html

4.4 is a lot more than I would've wanted. It's a little easier to swallow when you look at remaining free agents but we could've just cut him and signed kearse with the cap savings

It's a gamble worth taking at this point.. he may do very well for us again. As it stands he's a one hit wonder... and this is a show-me year.

He says he is in it with the Giants for the long haul. Cruz is a pretty mature down to earth guy with a good head on his shoulders. I think if he has a good season this year, he will still restructure to stay with the Giants.

I think he let his celebrity get to his head... and it distracted him from the game. I hope you're right that he has matured... but only time will tell.

Wasn't implicating him with immaturity.... More like he's more focused on football now than before.

He does seem a little childish about OBJ getting all the fame now. but I hope he comes back and uses it as a way to prove a point.

He says he is in it with the Giants for the long haul. Cruz is a pretty mature down to earth guy with a good head on his shoulders. I think if he has a good season this year, he will still restructure to stay with the Giants.

Probably because he has all his fashion contacts here. I'm sure if the Giants out right cut him he'll just retire. Hopefully the new strength and conditioning guy will get these guys doing proper lifting. I've never seen the Timex center training room but the new guy should just throw all the machines in the trash (well...actually keep the pulleys). Basic barbell and dumbbell lifting.

Probably because he has all his fashion contacts here. I'm sure if the Giants out right cut him he'll just retire. Hopefully the new strength and conditioning guy will get these guys doing proper lifting. I've never seen the Timex center training room but the new guy should just throw all the machines in the trash (well...actually keep the pulleys). Basic barbell and dumbbell lifting.

Yeah, they should burn that place to the ground and start from scratch. Too much bad juju.