SportsWrath

With the 23rd pick in the draft, The NY Giants pick...

fringe

I have him top 5 he is coming from a Air Raid, but that didn't prevent Goff from going 1 last year.

Yep... Although I think the Patriots, Seahawks,and GB proved you don't have to have a top 5 pick... Eli's biggest drawback is he's very unathletic... which lead to a lot of sacks or INTs because he can't buy time... Still I appreciate him as QB and a classy person who's represented the Giants very well.

Eli has always been one of the least sacked QBs. He doesn't get enough credit for his short range mobility and pocket presense.

Couldn't agree more.

I look forward to when Eli Manning retires so the jackasses who complained so much about him can get that better QB. :laugh:

His pocket presence has significantly waned, though. Almost to the point of skittishness, at times. However, the Giants don't really do much to help him out or design plays that move the pocket. They don't use much playaction anymore either, which I find infuriating, because he's always been a good playaction passer. And the man CAN throw on the run when he isn't being run down but we will see maybe one or two designed QB rollouts all year.

His pocket presence has significantly waned, though. Almost to the point of skittishness, at times. However, the Giants don't really do much to help him out or design plays that move the pocket. They don't use much playaction anymore either, which I find infuriating, because he's always been a good playaction passer. And the man CAN throw on the run when he isn't being run down but we will see maybe one or two designed QB rollouts all year.

I think pro defenses have gotten so good at playing their assignments that vanilla play action doesn't have much truck these days. But you did see the Giants have some success with play action that involved pulling offensive linemen. Which comes with some risk of its own too, so I don't think anybody does it as much as they used to. And besides, with no running game to speak of, any play action can only help so much.

I see what you mean on the skittishness though... I had the same thought this year that he seemed to be hearing footsteps, really for the first time ever. Think back to 2011, and that was a bad OL, not 2014-2015 bad, but still bad, yet Eli wasn't fazed at all. I think this season all those years of bad offensive line play started to get into his head. Maybe a lack of trust in Flowers too. Certainly a lack of trust in the right side.

They don't have tackles who can block, have a mediocre Center and RG, and a B+ level LG only.

They don't have tackles who can block, have a mediocre Center and RG, and a B+ level LG only.

Well, that's unfortunate because they've invested a lot of resources to those guys.

I don't really understand what you guys want to happen. I guess we could just keep tossing high draft picks at the offensive line...but then our defense will eventually wane. Wait a second...

The line is league average and serviceable. However, Mcadoo did nothing with the design of the offense to mitigate the pressure or lack of run game. Not sure why our run offense revolved around sending our backs up the ass of the nearest lineman instead of maybe running off tackle, pulling guards, counters, etc.

Well, that's unfortunate because they've invested a lot of resources to those guys.

I don't really understand what you guys want to happen. I guess we could just keep tossing high draft picks at the offensive line...but then our defense will eventually wane. Wait a second...

The line is league average and serviceable. However, Mcadoo did nothing with the design of the offense to mitigate the pressure or lack of run game. Not sure why our run offense revolved around sending our backs up the ass of the nearest lineman instead of maybe running off tackle, pulling guards, counters, etc.

Yes... that's what Dallas did... it seems we haven't struck gold in the OL department outside of Pugh. And of course we can sign a proven FA for veteran presence just like we did with Mackenzie.

The problem is that college offensive linemen no longer come in prepared for the pro game. What they are asked to do is just too different at the pro level. And it just doesn't seem that we are developing our own talent to cover the difference.

It's hit or miss. If the stories are true then we would've had an all-pro rookie in Conklin if Tennessee didn't trade up.

The team is ready to win now, I'm not opposed to trading a second rounder for Thomas rather than gambling with another first round pick

It's hit or miss. If the stories are true then we would've had an all-pro rookie in Conklin if Tennessee didn't trade up.

The team is ready to win now, I'm not opposed to trading a second rounder for Thomas rather than gambling with another first round pick

Yeah there are maybe 2 or 3 linemen who come in each year even close to being ready to start day one and they usually go top 10. And fuck Tennessee.

LOL, driz, everything about that offense was built to mitigate the pressure and to work around the lack of a run game. quick drop/release pass plays, all goddamn day. No running game, so throw it 87 times a game.

And I did see far more pulling offensive linemen in the second half the season. That was a hallmark of their best play action too.

No.

LOL, driz, everything about that offense was built to mitigate the pressure and to work around the lack of a run game. quick drop/release pass plays, all goddamn day. No running game, so throw it 87 times a game.

And I did see far more pulling offensive linemen in the second half the season. That was a hallmark of their best play action too.

Yet the run game was designed around delayed handoffs that had running backs stopping in the backfield.

Zero rollouts, bringing in extra blockers, there was a lot that wasn't attempted to mitigate the pressure.

No.

Let's throw a couple more first rounders at it, then. The lines of the early 2000s were bad lines.

Ask the Broncos or the Seahawks about bad offensive lines. The Giants offensive line is middle of the pack. Give them a running back with more vision than Ray Charles and a more varied run offense they might have been able to run the ball, too.

I think they need to move Flowers, get a LT and that's it. I think Hart could be good inside at RG, who knows.

It doesn't make sense to me to try and solve LT with a rookie. Will Eli trust a rookie to protect his blindside out of the gate? Hart or Flowers at RG. The other at RT, and address LT with a proven vet in either free agency or trade. They need to win now. I think Richburg will be just fine. Maybe draft a OG in the 3rd, or RT in the 2nd for competition and the future only.

But trusting the draft to fix this line is a mistake. If we had a young building team, sure. But we have a QB and defense ready to win. Time to get some good pieces here to complete the puzzle.

Get a power RB and a legit WR to complement Odell on the right side. I think those you can go to the draft for. Get a nasty DT to replace Hankins. I'd prefer they keep him but if it's between Hankins or a top LT, give me the latter, and get a talented rookie to rush next to Snacks.

I think they need to move Flowers, get a LT and that's it. I think Hart could be good inside at RG, who knows.

It doesn't make sense to me to try and solve LT with a rookie. Will Eli trust a rookie to protect his blindside out of the gate? Hart or Flowers at RG. The other at RT, and address LT with a proven vet in either free agency or trade. They need to win now. I think Richburg will be just fine. Maybe draft a OG in the 3rd, or RT in the 2nd for competition and the future only.

But trusting the draft to fix this line is a mistake. If we had a young building team, sure. But we have a QB and defense ready to win. Time to get some good pieces here to complete the puzzle.

Get a power RB and a legit WR to complement Odell on the right side. I think those you can go to the draft for. Get a nasty DT to replace Hankins. I'd prefer they keep him but if it's between Hankins or a top LT, give me the latter, and get a talented rookie to rush next to Snacks.

If it was only that easy.

What tackles that are good make it to free agency? Also we do know Hart is not good

McKenzie was a big tackle who made it into FA.

Isnt Armstead a FA? He's probably a top 10 tackle.

Glenn cant be given the tag again so he has to hit the market, so he will cash in big.

Glenn and Armstead both signed long term deals.

Best OT available is Whitworth and he's 35 I hope the Giants look at Riley Reiff or just re-sign Newhouse.

There is some good guards available though like T.J Lang, Kevin Zeitler, Ronald Leary and Austin Pasztor. Brian Winters was mixed in this group but Jets just signed him to an extension for $8 mill per year