SportsWrath

Flowers is a bust

UK-Giantsfan

I don't like to call someone a bust only in their second season.

But they need to at the very least bring in true competition for him next season and be open to moving him.

I do think his worst case scenario for him is pro bowl right guard.

I'm not sure why he refuses to initiate contact. He's a very passive pass blocker. He needs to attack with the hands rather than allowing guys to build up steam and run past him.

This.

This definitely caught my attention... of course DEs will be faster than you.. you need to knock them back and mess up their routes to your qb... No I don't think he's a bust... I'm just wondering who the fuck is coaching these guys.

This.

This definitely caught my attention... of course DEs will be faster than you.. you need to knock them back and mess up their routes to your qb... No I don't think he's a bust... I'm just wondering who the fuck is coaching these guys.

Agreed! And I thought the guy had a nasty, mean demeanor but I guess I was mistaken. He's more like the Pillsbury Dough Boy, hoo hoo.

Agreed! And I thought the guy had a nasty, mean demeanor but I guess I was mistaken. He's more like the Pillsbury Dough Boy, hoo hoo.

No he does have a nasty demeanor... it's not there this season... Idk wtf but hopefully he can get it together.. also the coaches finally decided to give him some help in the 2nd half and it worked.

They keep talking about his poor hand placement and they showed an example last night, one of the times he was beaten. Isn't that something that should be fixable through coaching, practice and repetitions? Don't think they change horses midstream but gotta think they reassess during the off-season.

waiting so long to get to the pass rusher was a new development, to my eyes. Sloppy with his hands, that's not new. Lunging at the pass rusher, that's not new. But playing like an effeminate newcomer to the sport, that is not like him to this point.

I hope that was some sort of bizarre aberration, or he was severely ill last night, or.... something.

This.

Hey I heard few complaints about Mike Solari when he was hired and a lot of them concerning the relationship between Pat Flaherty and Flowers. Flowers likes the new coach and few people like what they are seeing from Flowers. IMO, Flowers will be fine and the expectations from the fanbase were ridiculously high.

Hey I heard few complaints about Mike Solari when he was hired and a lot of them concerning the relationship between Pat Flaherty and Flowers. Flowers likes the new coach and few people like what they are seeing from Flowers. IMO, Flowers will be fine and the expectations from the fanbase were ridiculously high.

I don't know if us fans expecting a first round pick not to suck can be termed as "ridiculously high"... I just see our OL in general playing worse that it did last year... and just like we (at least I did) called for Fewel to be fired for his vanilla defense, I think the same can be said of the OL coach.. whoever he is...

I don't know if us fans expecting a first round pick not to suck can be termed as "ridiculously high"... I just see our OL in general playing worse that it did last year... and just like we (at least I did) called for Fewel to be fired for his vanilla defense, I think the same can be said of the OL coach.. whoever he is...

Exactly.

Expecting the 9th overall pick to perform at a high level is not an unrealistic expectation.

Exactly.

Expecting the 9th overall pick to perform at a high level is not an unrealistic expectation.

Ok time for some Perspective

This would be year 2 for Flowers in the NFL and he has spent all of his time at the Left Tackle position.

Will Beatty was drafted in 2009, started playing at LT in 2012. David Diehl was drafted in 2003 and started playing LT in 2007. Tyron Smith was drafted in 2011 and started playing left tackle in 2012. They had time to adjust to playing at the NFL level and then adjust to playing the hardest position on the offensive line.

Flowers does not suck, he is simply developing at a pace Giants fans wish was faster.

This would be year 2 for Flowers in the NFL and he has spent all of his time at the Left Tackle position.

Will Beatty was drafted in 2009, started playing at LT in 2012. David Diehl was drafted in 2003 and started playing LT in 2007. Tyron Smith was drafted in 2011 and started playing left tackle in 2012. They had time to adjust to playing at the NFL level and then adjust to playing the hardest position on the offensive line.

Flowers does not suck, he is simply developing at a pace Giants fans wish was faster.

I think what we're bitching about his regression more than anything else. He was better last year than he is now... he definitely has what it takes to be a top tier LT.... We need better coaches for his position.

I think what we're bitching about his regression more than anything else. He was better last year than he is now... he definitely has what it takes to be a top tier LT.... We need better coaches for his position.

Oddly he is actually playing better this year according to the stats people. Of course we're the ones watching the games and we experience his penalties and see them. Development isn't always a straightforward process, sometimes there sidesteps and setbacks.

That's a fair point, but respectfully, Diehl and Beatty weren't the ninth overall pick. Tyron Smith was a Pro Bowler at this point in his career, and he was drafted later than Flowers was.

You don't draft a guy that high with the expectation that in three or four years they'll develop into a quality NFL player. A top ten pick needs to come in and produce at a high level. Flowers hasn't done that.

Flowers probably won't be any good, because "Flowers" is not a football name. If he changes his last name to something really manly... maybe "Cowher..."he might have a chance.

he's getting less help this year.

And I can't be the only one wondering what the point of a TE is if that TE is just going to release freely into his route, without so much as a chip on the defensive end.

True indeed... I noticed our TEs and RBs never bother to chip any defenders...

That's a fair point, but respectfully, Diehl and Beatty weren't the ninth overall pick. Tyron Smith was a Pro Bowler at this point in his career, and he was drafted later than Flowers was.

You don't draft a guy that high with the expectation that in three or four years they'll develop into a quality NFL player. A top ten pick needs to come in and produce at a high level. Flowers hasn't done that.

Flowers probably won't be any good, because "Flowers" is not a football name. If he changes his last name to something really manly... maybe "Cowher..."he might have a chance.

Tyron Smith was picked 9th overall in the 2011 draft and he made the pro bowl in his third year. I don't put much stock when someone makes the pro bowl because it has always been popularity contest. Plenty of players make the probowl because they made it the year before.

Tyron Smith was a better prospect coming out of college than Ereck Flowers. We have seen players coming out of college just not as prepared as the ones that have come before them.