SportsWrath

Good article by Vacchiano on looking at the Cowboys when rebuilding the team

JMFP

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/vacchiano-glory-giants-follow-cowboy-article-1.2015712

Few things over the last two decades could make the entire Giants organization smile quite like a failure by Cowboys owner Jerry Jones. It wasn’t just that the teams were bitter rivals, either. They always believed, as the late Wellington Mara once said, that “It’s nice to see arrogance humbled” too.

That’s why it’s doubly painful for them that while the Giants are being humbled this season, the Cowboys are in contention for the NFC East title. Even worse: If the Giants want to find their way back into contention in the future, they might want to think about following Jones’ plan:

1. BE PATIENT WITH HEAD COACH
What the Cowboys did: Jason Garrett hasn’t had a winning record in his three full years as Cowboys coach (8-8 every time), nor has he been to the playoffs. Yet Jones remarkably resisted the urge to impulsively pull the plug and throw money at a big name such as Mike Shanahan, Bill Cowher or Jeff Fisher. He showed patience few knew he had.

What the Giants should do: Hard as it might be to do if (when) the Giants miss the playoffs for the fifth time in six seasons, it might be worth giving Tom Coughlin another shot. Management loves everything about him and the players still believe in him. Why risk their future on whoever this year’s hot assistant turns out to be when they already have a winner with two Super Bowl rings?

2. STICK WITH FRANCHISE QB
What the Cowboys did: Tony Romo has been a lightning rod for everything that’s gone wrong in Dallas the last decade, but Jones’ support never wavered. He even resisted his own temptation to draft Johnny Manziel in April. And now, Romo is repaying him with yet another stellar season at age 34.

What the Giants should do: Enough with the delay. It’s time to lock up Eli Manning to a long-term contract. He may have been terrible at times last season, but until his five-interception nightmare on Sunday he was very good this year. Why ponder a future without him? He’s one of just eight active Super Bowl-winning quarterbacks. Teams should never give those up.

3. DON’T OVERSPEND ON ONE PREMIER PASS RUSHER
What the Cowboys did: It wasn’t easy for the Cowboys to cut DeMarcus Ware in March, but injuries and age were creeping up on him, and cutting him saved more than $7 million in cap space. Ware had averaged 13 sacks a season in nine years in Dallas, and the Cowboys didn’t replace him (they have just 16 sacks this season). Instead they spent that money elsewhere, and their defense is still good enough to be ranked 15th in the league.

What the Giants should do: Jason Pierre-Paul doesn’t have Ware’s resume, but he is 25, so he’ll cost far more than the three-year, $30 million deal Ware got from the Broncos. Maybe he’ll regain his form of 2011 (when he had 16.5 sacks), but the Giants can find better value — such as Robert Ayers, who leads the Giants with five sacks while playing on a two-year, $3.75 million deal.

4. BUILD THE DEFENSE FROM THE BACK TO THE FRONT
What the Cowboys did: Two years before they released Ware, the Cowboys drafted CB Morris Clairborne (now on IR) in the first round and signed CB Brandon Carr to a five-year, $50 million deal. They realized not only that the NFL was becoming a pass-happy league, but that with quarterbacks throwing the ball more quickly than ever, a good secondary was becoming more important than a strong pass rush.

What the Giants should do: They already started this process, signing cornerbacks Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and Walt Thurmond (now on IR). Now they can’t abandon it. They’ll need to re-sign Thurmond and Prince Amukamara, who had been their best corner before he got hurt, and either re-sign S Antrel Rolle or spend to replace him.

5. REBUILD THE OFFENSIVE LINE AND RUN, RUN, RUN!
What the Cowboys did: This is hard to believe, but before the Cowboys used the ninth pick of the 2011 draft on T Tyron Smith, they hadn’t used a first-rounder on an offensive lineman since 1981. Now three of their last four No. 1s have been good O-linemen (including C Travis Frederick in 2013 and G Zack Martin in 2014) and as a result they’re suddenly the No. 2 rushing team in the league.

What the Giants should do: RT Justin Pugh (2013) was the first OL the Giants took in the first round since 1999. Meanwhile, many of their mid-to-late-round picks (James Brewer, Brandon Mosley) failed. They need to continue the rebuilding project they started in the offseason by drafting center/guard Weston Richburg and signing guard Geoff Schwartz. They definitely need at least one more interior lineman.

All they are is 7-3 and on Sunday you'll see very little difference between them and the Giants. They lost 2 of their last 3 games, 2 at home and beat the Jags in London. You might want to look at the Eagles or Chiefs or Colts when it comes to rebuilding.

All they are is 7-3 and on Sunday you'll see very little difference between them and the Giants. They lost 2 of their last 3 games, 2 at home and beat the Jags in London. You might want to look at the Eagles or Chiefs or Colts when it comes to rebuilding.

This.

I'd leave out the Colts though. They might be the luckiest NFL franchise in history. They haven't had to worry about the most important position in like 20 years.

This.

I'd leave out the Colts though. They might be the luckiest NFL franchise in history. They haven't had to worry about the most important position in like 20 years.

That's true... Jesus they've been very lucky... If I recall correctly before Manning they were the modern day raiders of the NFL.

The Cowboys turnaround started when they made an effort to focus on the OL. Tyron Smith, Travis Frederick, and Zach Martin.

This. on the offensive side of the ball of course... both lines need retooling.

The Cowboys?

Seriously, we're having this discussion?

How about we wait and see if they have a late-season collapse and end up a disappointing 8-8 again before we start looking to the likes of Jerry Jones to decide how to build the Giants. Holy shit... the fucking Cowboys...

The Cowboys?

Seriously, we're having this discussion?

How about we wait and see if they have a late-season collapse and end up a disappointing 8-8 again before we start looking to the likes of Jerry Jones to decide how to build the Giants. Holy shit... the fucking Cowboys...

Look let's not confuse issues here.. the Cowboys sucked major balls for years and years and we loved it... early in the season I told my best friend who's a Boys' fan that his team has gone back to what got them the trophies in the 90s... a very strong OL, a solid QB, start WR and a strong running game...

I agree with most of the article except #1....Retaining the coach....with Jerra there aren't too many top end coaches willing to work for that poser...particularly with him as GM..

C. Wgaon .

I disagree with #1 and #2. That might work in a situation where your head coach is under 50 and your QB still has 5 good years left... in other words, it works for the Cowboys. Our biggest problem is that Reese isn't very good at drafting college players. By the time we get that squared away (we need a new GM), Coughlin and Eli will both be ready to retire. Best-case scenario is a three-year plan.

Coughlin and Eli are expected to win with these guys now, but the problem is these guys stink.

Blow it up.

As far as the Cowboys go...(1) it's nice to see the offensive line of the 90's get the recognition they deserve (Emmit was way overrated) and (2) that's about the only thing they've done that we should take as an example.

Exactly... IMHO he (Emmit) was mediocre and that line did it for him. But you know the legend that was Emmit was built when they shot him up with pain killers so he could play with a separated shoulder against the Giants in that playoff game. The things the players did with their bodies back then...

Exactly... IMHO he (Emmit) was mediocre and that line did it for him. But you know the legend that was Emmit was built when they shot him up with pain killers so he could play with a separated shoulder against the Giants in that playoff game. The things the players did with their bodies back then...

...they answer for now I'm sure (to finish your sentence).

Emmitt had incredible vision, I'll give him that. But aside from that, he was very much average. To those Cowboys fans who claim ES was the best ever...I simply ask them how many yards they think Barry Sanders or Walter Payton or Jim Brown would have behind the same offensive line. Barry Sanders could've set the career rushing bar 100s, if not 1000's, of yards above where Emmit left it with that offensive line.

The part about building the D from back to front makes a lot of sense. Especially safeties.

Eh, you can go either way on that one. Build front 7 so secondary only has to be mediocre because the running game/QB are under constant pressure or build the secondary so that the front 7 can focus solely on the run/rushing QB.

As far as the Cowboys go...(1) it's nice to see the offensive line of the 90's get the recognition they deserve (Emmit was way overrated) and (2) that's about the only thing they've done that we should take as an example.

Agreed.

But honestly... who didn't know that championship teams are built around the O-line (besides Reese, I mean).

Eh, you can go either way on that one. Build front 7 so secondary only has to be mediocre because the running game/QB are under constant pressure or build the secondary so that the front 7 can focus solely on the run/rushing QB.

i think the new wave has a very strong secondary. Seattle, AZ, Indy, etc.

...they answer for now I'm sure (to finish your sentence).

Emmitt had incredible vision, I'll give him that. But aside from that, he was very much average. To those Cowboys fans who claim ES was the best ever...I simply ask them how many yards they think Barry Sanders or Walter Payton or Jim Brown would have behind the same offensive line. Barry Sanders could've set the career rushing bar 100s, if not 1000's, of yards above where Emmit left it with that offensive line.

Agree...just imagine Barry Sanders on a consistent playoff team... he would be the greatest RB like ...like EVER... ;)

Fuck Emmit receding hairline ugly leprechaun arrogant asshole with an 8 inch dildo... Never like the asshole

i think the new wave has a very strong secondary. Seattle, AZ, Indy, etc.

Giants (on paper) this offseason. We seemed to have the okay, but not great, defensive line; that with a dominant secondary, could have been quite good. But the secondary got beat to hell and the defensive line wasn't as good as we thought/hoped.

Agree...just imagine Barry Sanders on a consistent playoff team... he would be the greatest RB like ...like EVER... ;)

As has been mentioned, even without the Dallas line, Sanders IS the best RB of modern day. Game has changed too much to really compare to heavily to the Jim Brown days, but Sanders would still hold his own I'd think.

Dallas's secondary was terrible and was losing them games by themselves, they had to overhaul it and even now it's just okay.

And some of those guys overhauled were first round draft picks such as Mike Jenkins.

Claiborne has been a bust considering they drafted up for him.