SportsWrath

How Tom Coughlin has failed the Giants

Treehugger

Can any of you guys blaming Reese for everything provide a list of recent players who have IMPROVED under Coach Coughlin?

One I can think of is Prince, who has progressed his play over his rookie year performance. Can any of you list any others? How many are WORSE players now than when they came out of college?

:Popcorn-emot: All the Reese...then Fewell... and now a lot of McAdoo hate... but very little for Tom Terrific... who only happens to be just the head coach... :whistling: Who is never responsible for lack of motivation... lack of creativity... and overall stagnation/regression from year to year...

Can any of you guys blaming Reese for everything provide a list of recent players who have IMPROVED under Coach Coughlin?

One I can think of is Prince, who has progressed his play over his rookie year performance. Can any of you list any others? How many are WORSE players now than when they came out of college?

Cruz has progressed his play

Can you name one player who's left and performed better elsewhere?

:Popcorn-emot: All the Reese...then Fewell... and now a lot of McAdoo hate... but very little for Tom Terrific... who only happens to be just the head coach... :whistling: Who is never responsible for lack of motivation... lack of creativity... and overall stagnation/regression from year to year...

I don't think I've criticized Reese, I think his offseason moves have been good.. the injuery bug is maddening... my gripe has been majorly directed at Fewel even when Gilbride was still here... Our D has sucked since Spags left and that leaves Fewel as the guilty party... Coughlin isn't that great... I think he takes too much credit when shit goes right and not enough blame when we suck donkey balls.

I think in general, Coughlin does a good job organizing and running the team. I think he'd be wise to let his assistants handle more of the details at times, but I can understand him being heavily involved in the offense given we have a new OC. I'd guess that Coughlin was the same way with Fewell when Fewell just started.

As for player development, the Giants have not been great (it's a good point you make). But, I think a lot of that is the player's responsibility. The coaches can provide the opportunity, but the players have to take advantage of it. It's tricky too, given what teams are allowed to do given the CBA/union.

At the end of the day, there is a ton of blame to go around for a team that hasn't done much of anything since winning the last superbowl.

Reese - has seemingly not drafted well. Again, need to compare his drafting performance against that of other GMs throughout the league to know for sure.

Coughlin - player development, holding coordinators responsible, being too loyal to certain veterans, not playing talented rookies,

Players - underperforming, being injury prone, being ill-prepared at gametime

Every issue identified doesn't have to be uniform across the board in every circumstance, but there are valid arguments to be made for each failure

Bradshaw, Bennett.

I think if you look at almost any barometer, Bradshaw's best years were in New York.

Bennett? He was a one-year rental that we couldn't afford... I'd hardly say we "developed" him. You could even say he was a bust BEFORE Coughlin and co. started coaching him.

Players that have improved under Tom Coughlin? How do you quantify that? Undrafted players turned into starters, well Victor Cruz and Henry Hynoski are doing ok. Taking players from small colleges and turning them into better players? Osi Umenyiora, Jason Pierre-Paul fit that criteria. Making veterans better players? Without question.

All the blame can be place on Jerry Reese, Tom Coughlin & his Staff, as well as the players. There is no one guy to blame and person to fire fix and firing everyone is a fan solution.

Tom Coughlin can coach and that isn't debatable.

How do you figure that? He's a shadow of the threat who blew up early in his career.

until this year he has progressed .actually tailed off last year but coming out of college he progressively has gotten better. (Which is what I thought was your question)

Developing players would actually fall on position coaches, would it not? If that's the case, then you have to wonder if that's where Coughlin has gotten old: specifically Flaherty and Nunn. Flaherty hasn't really developed a player since Koets, and Nunn hasn't gotten anything out of some high draft picks at defensive end. Defensive tackles are a different matter.

The defensive backfield coaches have done an overall good job--yeah, there's Hoseley, but there's Prince, McBride, Cooper Taylor (who looked good before IR), and Will Hill (at least on the field) while he was here. Can't really speak to the offensive coaches outside of Flaherty, since they were all shuffled/replaced this year. You guys are going to hate this, but you're going to have to give Gilbride Jr. some credit for getting anything out of Donnell/Fells, considering Pope's failure to do the same last year.

I think I've been fairly clear about my feelings about the LB coach over the last few years, lol.

I think we're watching a perfect storm of a GM drafting developmental picks (and not necessarily good ones), and position coaches that are no longer able to develop them. And ridiculous catastrophic injuries. With a massive amount of hubris after 2011, which really should have been an alarm, rather than a trophy.

until this year he has progressed .actually tailed off last year but coming out of college he progressively has gotten better. (Which is what I thought was your question)

His per 16 game numbers dropped for the third straight year

Unless the talent just isn't there to develop, in which case it'd fall on the scouting/GM.

That's my point though, guys like JPP, Randle and Moore showed buckets of talent coming into the league and haven't progressed, or have REGRESSED, under these coaches. I simply don't believe Reese & Co wiffed on almost every single draft pick. They're simply not ever realising their potential and developing into solid starters.

Honestly, without a major change I think we'll be saying the same about ODB in three years too.

That's my point though, guys like JPP, Randle and Moore showed buckets of talent coming into the league and haven't progressed, or have REGRESSED, under these coaches. I simply don't believe Reese & Co wiffed on almost every single draft pick. They're simply not ever realising their potential and developing into solid starters.

Honestly, without a major change I think we'll be saying the same about ODB in three years too.

I'd give Coughlin/Reese this offseason and next season, but if things don't improve drastically, I'd ask both to step down. If I'm ownership, both are on awfully short leashes. I don't know that it's even worth discussing who's more at fault...

Well shit someone owes Ron Dayne an apology for the lack of help in his career as a player and he is not the first person on that list or the last. Being great in college does not guarantee great in the NFL.

Well shit someone owes Ron Dayne an apology for the lack of help in his career as a player and he is not the first person on that list or the last. Being great in college does not guarantee great in the NFL.

Great job of missing the point. I'm not looking at college performance, but the talent they displayed as rookies that doesn't get developed as pros.

organizational failure from top to bottom. i really have a hard time finding anyone to give a pass to

Agreed.

We had the same problem last year in the microcosm of the offense. GIlly was so inept for so many years... and Eli was playing so bad... and the offense AS A WHOLE was so bad... that it became "well, is Eli bad because of Gilly's playcalling, because of shitty players, or because Eli is just bad?"