SportsWrath

Giants sign G Patrick Omameh

Mr. P

Then again, here's Rotoworld's take:

Giants signed OG Patrick Omameh, formerly of the Jaguars.

Omameh struggled mightily as the Jaguars' starting left guard last season, and the Jags replaced him immediately in free agency with Andrew Norwell. So the Giants are picking up the Jaguars' scraps.

They said the same things about Shaun O'Hara, Rich Seubert, and Kevin Boothe. This is a Gettleman pick.

We'll see what that's worth. I'm certainly not counting on this guy as a starter.

They are saying 3year deal for starter money.

You gotta be kidding! For Christ Sake, WHY????? I doubt he's any better than what we have. This is very depressing. We're rolling the dice that we get the good Solder and not the one who stunk it up much of last year and now we add a documented dumpster guy and commit to him for three years?????? Eli might decide to retire after all.

You gotta be kidding! For Christ Sake, WHY????? I doubt he's any better than what we have. This is very depressing. We're rolling the dice that we get the good Solder and not the one who stunk it up much of last year and now we add a documented dumpster guy and commit to him for three years?????? Eli might decide to retire after all.

The problem is outside if just trading away high round draft picks, or players on the team, there isnt much out there to fix the problem.

The Giants could invest everything in the draft for a handful of good ones but miss else on getting talent on other holes on the team.

But really this FA pool doesnt have much help in terms of better upgrades, just slightly or more on par, but what else can the Giants do?

The problem is outside if just trading away high round draft picks, or players on the team, there isnt much out there to fix the problem.

The Giants could invest everything in the draft for a handful of good ones but miss else on getting talent on other holes on the team.

But really this FA pool doesnt have much help in terms of better upgrades, just slightly or more on par, but what else can the Giants do?

Yep and our problems wont be a 1 year fix.... we dumoed guys who suck and replaced them with equal or better... not sure who here doesnt think Solder is an upgrade over Flowers... and Flowers may actually do very well at RT... Brett is our center who is better than Richburg...

Solder is definitely an up grade over Flowers. He did have some problems last year, but they seemed to coincide with some personal problems he was having with the health of his son. He was lights out from game 9 to the Super Bowl.

Some are saying he could end up being a top 5 LT. Obviously that would make this more then worth it.

I think they should have definitely past on Pat though. At least for that contract. 3 years? We are rolling the dice on this one for sure, with little reason to believe it will pan out. This would normally be a great back up signing, but obviously that isnt the case here.

They should have never agreed to a no trade clause in Elis contract. We would have had all the money needed to get the best FAs in the league. Then either drafted a QB or give Web a shot.

Yeah, Solder is an upgrade over Flowers. That's a pretty low bar......and as I said yesterday, Solder's been both pretty good and pretty bad at different times, so him being a consistent, solid LT for us is no slam dunk, even though he's getting paid like it is. But the Omameh signing is just effing awful. Yes, I know we're not winning the Super Bowl this year, so save your cap money for players who can help you get better. You don't commit three years to a journeyman caliber player the Panthers were desperate to replace! The whole line needed an upgrade. We've probably achieved that at LT. The rest is just as bad. The line needs some beef, not more hamburger helper.

Yeah, Solder is an upgrade over Flowers. That's a pretty low bar......and as I said yesterday, Solder's been both pretty good and pretty bad at different times, so him being a consistent, solid LT for us is no slam dunk, even though he's getting paid like it is. But the Omameh signing is just effing awful. Yes, I know we're not winning the Super Bowl this year, so save your cap money for players who can help you get better. You don't commit three years to a journeyman caliber player the Panthers were desperate to replace! The whole line needed an upgrade. We've probably achieved that at LT. The rest is just as bad. The line needs some beef, not more hamburger helper.

I think Flowers moving to RT may help him and us... and I think Jones at center is pretty good... so it's not all that bad.

Even the Giants aren't sure it'll be Flowers at RT. He was told he's moving to the right side and "the best five OL's will play", so that shows how "highly" they think of Flowers. Jones was our Center last year, so no change there. He's likely a middle of the road Center, which makes him look pretty good on this line. The Guards, as of today, are still bottom feeders. That adds up to maybe a better brand of lousy - maybe. Sorry to be so negative here but I'm sorely disappointed so far. I need Nelson to make me feel better!

Even the Giants aren't sure it'll be Flowers at RT. He was told he's moving to the right side and "the best five OL's will play", so that shows how "highly" they think of Flowers. Jones was our Center last year, so no change there. He's likely a middle of the road Center, which makes him look pretty good on this line. The Guards, as of today, are still bottom feeders. That adds up to maybe a better brand of lousy - maybe. Sorry to be so negative here but I'm sorely disappointed so far. I need Nelson to make me feel better!

I understand what you're saying... my contention is free agency is just one of the ways teams improve their team... I think we've done that so far... now the draft coming and I trust they will get a stud guard in one of the 1st 2 rounds... and maybe one in a later round.... then there's June's cuts...

Omameh is 3 years, 15 million. Graded out at 53.6 as per PFF, good for #36 among guards.

Fluker graded out at 43.3, #56 among guards, and cost 3 million last season.

It sounds like we got more or less market value for him, though I agree he doesn't excite anyone or sound like a world-beater. Might be a "hold the fort" kind of guy until we can get some mid-round talent ready to start. Or again, might be a Gettleman diamond in the rough.

his cap number is 2.4 mil this year. If he repeats last season it will be an upgrade over fluker and it will be at a bargain rate too. These are the cheap flyers you gotta take when you have limited resources.

He could start...but if we sign the center we're looking at (name escapes me) and draft Nelson...it's possible he's just depth.

I'm just glad that the unit was recognized for its poor performance and moves are being made to address it. Not all the moves may pan out, but there's attempts being made as opposed to being blatantly ignored.