SportsWrath

Question about Seating, Game tickets and PLS.

Lughead

So I was looking at PLS's that were up for sale and I notice that this one guy's PLS (4 seats) were around $1000.00 per seat but there were no Game tickets available with these seats, yet other guys had PLS for sale and Game tickets were also Available for his seats. So how does this work? I buy a PLS then the game tickets separately. but If I have a PLS and there are no game tickets for those seats how do I get in to watch the game ? also If you purchase a PLS are you considered a season ticket holder? you "own" the seats but not the tickets? Do you make money off "owning" the seats and letting people who have tickets for those seats sit in them? It sounds like a double dip from the Giants /Metlife.

I do plan on going to my first game this year albeit through a bus tour . Probably will be first home game of the season.

The PSL gives you the right to purchase the tickets. When these scams were first invented the idea was that you kinda lease the seats and get right of first purchase for tickets in those seats for all kinds of events on the stadium but that doesn't really hold up on a stadium owned by two teams that each sell PSLs

Don't bother. The new stadium is actually worse than the old one and PSLs are a fucking joke. Unless you're a multimillionaire the Maras aren't interested in making the game an enjoyable experience for you.

Don't bother. The new stadium is actually worse than the old one and PSLs are a fucking joke. Unless you're a multimillionaire the Maras aren't interested in making the game an enjoyable experience for you.

As much as we love the Gints, Mara Jr is quite the little cockbag when it comes to business practices.

Not to mention the idiotic things he does as the head of the competition committee.

Guy is one of the few dull spots of the team.

Isn't there like an 800 year waiting list for season tickets anyway?

Used to be before the new stadium and PSLs. Now once your name is on the list they call you every offseason and practically beg you to buy tickets. Look at those stands during the games... many of the first tier sections are 1/3 empty, and the VIP section is often half empty or worse.

Mara fucked the golden goose. BiC is 100% right about him.

Fwiw I can barely watch games anymore cause of my work schedule. Most of the time I'm on WFAN or the Giants App.

I'm not really remembering where the PSLs came from. Did Mara start this or did it come from the Jets brass?

True, but for some reason (probably the blue colored shades I'm wearing) I can't see Mara being the one that initiated it. Part of me wants to believe he was forced at gunpoint to agree. (Not literally...)

I was always under the impression that things changed more (PSLs, parking prices through the roof) when Tisch bought in, rather than the younger Mara.

I was always under the impression that things changed more (PSLs, parking prices through the roof) when Tisch bought in, rather than the younger Mara.

More like after wellington died, cap came off the bottle then.

More like after wellington died, cap came off the bottle then.

This exactly. Wellington Mara said he wouldn't charge for them, he died, and his son decided to fleece the fans.

“One of the first things Bob Tisch told me when he came in was ‘Raise the revenue, cut the expenses–everything else in business is bull—-,’ ” John says.

• 4 weeks later...

The purpose of the PSLs is to limit the number of individuals that have season tickets which is good for business even if it does suck for fans.

Take me for instance, I have a decent seat in the lower level, almost never miss a home game and other than tickets and parking bought 2 or 3 bottles of water all year. think I'm what they are looking for? Hell no. Far better to have a company own the seats and use the for entertaining clients or rewarding employees. Guy goes to 1 game every 3 or 4 years with his kid is going to drop hundreds on food and apparel and shit.

I always knew the PSL charge and the ticket cost were two separate expenses to the 'fan' buying the seats. The only question I ever had was whether the PSL fee was an annual fee or a one-time, upfront fee? In other words, are people actually shelling out the 1000's of dollars in PSL fees each year to reserve the right to buy that specific ticket...and then pay for the 8 tickets on top of that?

The other benefit that has come up in the past is in the case of a home playoff game...PSL/season ticket holders often get first dibs, leaving few available for the non-PSL fan...

As it is, I'm 4 hours away so it'd never make sense for me. I did have my name come up when the new stadium was built and I seriously thought about relocating closer given I wasn't tied down like I am now. But the PSL was like 10K for each ticket (I would've wanted a pair at least because you want to take at least one person with you - or sell a pair, selling a single would be more difficult I'd think). I think the tickets would've run at least $120 each or so where I was being offered, so $240 x 8...that's another 2K there. Throw in parking and tailgate food and you'd be looking at probably 4K annually. I thought, if they discounted the tickets slightly because of the PSL and if I had a job lined up already in the northern Jersey area...then I would've likely swung it. But then again, that's a hell of a lot of money for tickets to what is essentially just a game.

Oh, and given my luck, the Giants would've sucked hard for the next 20 years making the games I would've gone to, suck all the more. I like the fact that I'm undefeated in the games I've attended. Wait...if that's the case, the Maras should just give me season tickets. We'd never lose again!

240 x 10. They make you buy two preseason games too. If I had the money and getting out of the parking lot didn't take 90 minutes I'd be happy to be a season ticket holder but fuck all that

I will say, there is value to the gameday experience at the stadium with 80,000 people having that one thing in common. The camaraderie and good times...sharing of tailgate food and drink...sharing of stories surrounding your fandom of the team...it's just a very cool experience that's unlike any other. That...that's the draw to season tickets...you can go and know who you're meeting up with, you can make and see old friends. You can't get that from watching from your couch.

That said, asking effectively $25K for that...it's just not worth it anymore...especially in today's economy where it just seems like cost increases continue to outpace paycheck increases.

For $48,000 I could get a low end Mercedes, well equipped, and still get some change back.

I love the Giants, but 48 grand??? Fuck that.

When they first started charging for PSLs, this guy came on the radio... don't remember if it was Sirius or WFAN... explained that he was mid-thirties, and he and his wife were Wall Street lawyers, and while he wouldn't tell what they made he said they both made six-figure salaries and probably did better than 99% of the households in the country. He says, 'there's a forty-year waiting list for tickets... but finally, I get the call I've been dreaming of my whole life. There are tickets available for Giants games, and they only want 25K per seat for a PSL."

Guy explains how excited he is... then bounces it off his wife, who replies, "are you out of your fucking mind?"

He then goes on to say, "I'm doing better than 99% of the people in this country... and if I can't afford tickets... who exactly are they going to sell them to?"

John Mara made his fortune on the backs of people like my old man... who had season tickets for the Polo Grounds... then Yankee Stadium... then Giants Stadium. 40+ years of spending his hard-earned money watching the team he loved... which eventually became the family weekend outing... way too many good times in that stadium, moments I'll remember with my family until the day I die. But God forbid the Maras charge a reasonable price to keep the seats that he had for all those years... those corporate assholes are too important... now we watch on our big-screen TV at a fraction of a cost of PSLs, but I don't think any of us would trade that TV for the moments we shared in those Giants Stadium seats. Since that day, I haven't spent a dime on Giants or NFL products (but I will buy Chinese rip-offs).

That is why John Mara is a douche. Fuck him.