SportsWrath

Sooo...The Refs...The DRC call, wtf was that????

osi724dasack

For the helmet rule, behind the end zone counts as on the field. Has since the inception of the rule. It will ( and has) get called every time. They got it right. And as I said, he almost got a much more damaging penalty when he pointed at the defender on his way to the end zone. That one would have taken points off the board. Look, I love Odell. He's like no Giant I've seen in my 50something years of being a fan. And I have nothing against celebrations - not everybody is Barry Sanders. But I don't think it's asking too much to understand where to draw the line.

OK, lets nail this down. I actually found the official rule book (I don't think NFL.com has had it posted before).

(i) Removal of his helmet by a player in the field of play or the end zone during a celebration or demonstration, or during a confrontation with a game official or any other player.

Relevant definitions:

ARTICLE 3. END ZONE. The End Zone is the rectangle formed by the Goal Line, the End Line, and the Sidelines. The Goal Line and the pylons are in the End Zone.

ARTICLE 4. FIELD OF PLAY. The Field of Play is the rectangle formed by the Goal Lines and the Sidelines. It does not include the End Zone.

There is not a special carve out for 'behind the end zone', so lets set that to rest. That isn't the reason it was a valid flag.

What there is, is the language 'during a confrontation with a game official or any other player'.... my guess is that is why Beckham got flagged, although I don't recall him being near anybody....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmlJbxeLiK4

fast forward to about 4:30.... what do you think, does he have a confrontation with anybody?

Gentlemen, I don't know about that.....

OK, lets nail this down. I actually found the official rule book (I don't think NFL.com has had it posted before).

(i) Removal of his helmet by a player in the field of play or the end zone during a celebration or demonstration, or during a confrontation with a game official or any other player.

Relevant definitions:

ARTICLE 3. END ZONE. The End Zone is the rectangle formed by the Goal Line, the End Line, and the Sidelines. The Goal Line and the pylons are in the End Zone.

ARTICLE 4. FIELD OF PLAY. The Field of Play is the rectangle formed by the Goal Lines and the Sidelines. It does not include the End Zone.

There is not a special carve out for 'behind the end zone', so lets set that to rest. That isn't the reason it was a valid flag.

What there is, is the language 'during a confrontation with a game official or any other player'.... my guess is that is why Beckham got flagged, although I don't recall him being near anybody....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmlJbxeLiK4

fast forward to about 4:30.... what do you think, does he have a confrontation with anybody?

Gentlemen, I don't know about that.....

It looked like he yelled something at the official when he ran past. That was how it was being reported on the radio too, I didn't see the game.

He was sure yelling.... no idea what he said, but that must have been what it was, assuming it wasn't just an absurdly bad, or at best, ticky-tack call.

Heaven forbid a guy get fired up after scoring a TD, but... maybe he said something kind of shitty, I don't know.

And I've wondered about the way refs seem to be targeting Beckham... what has he said to those guys to draw that kind of response?

Ah yeah and the Beckham penalty in the endzone.

Beckham didn't bother with a celebration, took his helmet off and was not on the field then went to the sidelines.

Just another shitty call, no way around it. If there is ever going to be a call made against Beckham, they will do so regardless of how minor the infraction. Just hope that he starts keeping this in mind at all times because eventually this is going to cost his team a game.

As far as what he said, ESPN radio is claiming he was yelling "FINE ME!!!" on the sidelines. If that's the case it's dumb as hell, but I don't think it's penalty worthy.

Penalty aside I've been halfheartedly defending him but if he doesn't reign himself in he's going to turn into a headache the likes of a TO.

As far as what he said, ESPN radio is claiming he was yelling "FINE ME!!!" on the sidelines. If that's the case it's dumb as hell, but I don't think it's penalty worthy.

Penalty aside I've been halfheartedly defending him but if he doesn't reign himself in he's going to turn into a headache the likes of a TO.

Oh, horrible flag if that's what it was for.

Oh, horrible flag if that's what it was for.

I'd have to see it myself. I don't really trust ESPN Radio, especially Hahn and Humpty (they said that's what he was yelling) as they've turned into the daily Odell Bashers for their entire show.

I didn't mind them before but they're becoming unbearable. It's not just them though. Pretty much all media outlets are focusing on Beckham when the Giants' issues are much greater and more glaring than his antics.

It's been 6 games and our offense has only 11 TDs... to their 12 turnovers (not counting the ST TD or Turnover).

We have 24 more rushing yards than PENALTY YARDS (456-432... and in case anyone was wondering Beckham has 40 yards on 3 accepted penalties).

Our defense has a total of 6 sacks and 2 interceptions.

And as of the GB game we've lined up in the 11 personnel on 96% of our offensive snaps (as opposed to 70-75% in 2015) limiting our playbook and making our play selection painfully obvious to the opponent. Now whether that's because of stubbornness or injuries I'm not sure, but these facts are being wholly ignored because the media would rather focus on the relationship between Odell and "Annette". It's disgusting.

By definition he was within the rectangle with the helmet removed during a celebration. I understand not liking the rule, and it is a dumb rule, but it was a valid penalty. Look again at the highlight. He begins to remove it before exiting the End Line, he was just outside of the End Line when he completed removal, and ran back inside "the rectangle" with helmet removed, during a celebration, even if it was only very briefly.

If we are going to get this technical... then let's do it. In either case, he both violated the spirit of the rule plus the technical rule.

Also, if it's true that as he pulled the helmet off, he was screaming, "FINE ME!", that suggests he knew taking the helmet off was a no-no but he was being defiant......which is OK if it's just his money but I'm guessing he didn't know it was going to cost the team 15 yards.

By definition he was within the rectangle with the helmet removed during a celebration. I understand not liking the rule, and it is a dumb rule, but it was a valid penalty. Look again at the highlight. He begins to remove it before exiting the End Line, he was just outside of the End Line when he completed removal, and ran back inside "the rectangle" with helmet removed, during a celebration, even if it was only very briefly.

If we are going to get this technical... then let's do it. In either case, he both violated the spirit of the rule plus the technical rule.

well, how about this? ---- since when does running back to your sideline constitute a 'celebration'? Hmmmm....

And he was neither in the field of play or the end zone with his helmet off. He was on the end line, and then the sideline, without his helmet. Read the definition again - neither of these are included in the field of play or the end zone.

And now I'm starting to wonder if he knew the rule to the letter and was baiting the fuckers to throw a bad flag.

That sure syncs up with yelling 'Fine me!'....