SportsWrath

Yankees vs D. Rays

NYHC GIANT

curse you!! you beat me!!!

Yankees' offense looks to get on track

Tampa Bay (9-12) at New York (10-9), 7:05 p.m. ET

By Mark Feinsand / MLB.com

After one of the more frustrating nights an offense has seen in a Major League game, the Yankees will try to rebound Thursday and take the rubber match of their three-game series against the Devil Rays.

New York left 16 men on base in Wednesday's 4-2, 10-inning loss to Tampa Bay, squandering one opportunity after another. Four Rays pitchers combined to walk a club-record 14 batters, but somehow, not one of them came around to score.

"I would think we would score more than two," said Johnny Damon. "We'll have to come out and be better tomorrow."

In the last four games, the Yankees' starting pitchers have combined to allow five runs over 28 innings. Shawn Chacon will try to keep that streak going, taking the mound for his fourth start this season.

Chien-Ming Wang allowed two runs in seven innings, but Mariano Rivera allowed two runs in the 10th as the Yankees saw their three-game winning streak washed away.

"The pitching was fine," manager Joe Torre said. "Chances are, if we hold the opposition to a couple of runs in nine innings, we're going to beat them. We didn't cash in on opportunities."

Pitching matchup

TB: LHP Mark Hendrickson (1-0, 0.00 ERA)

Hendrickson is making his first start since returning from disabled list. He went 2-0 with 5.02 ERA at Yankee Stadium in 2005.

NYY: RHP Shawn Chacon (2-1, 5.59 ERA)

Chacon is 0-2 with an 8.10 ERA in three career games (one start) against Tampa Bay.

Player to watch

Damon and Gary Sheffield have owned Hendrickson, hitting .440 (11-for-25) and .474 (9-for-19) against him, respectively.

On the Internet

MLB.TV

Gameday Audio

• Gameday

• Official game notes

On television

• YES Network

On radio

• WCBS 880 AM, WKDM 1380 AM (Español)

Up next

• Friday: Blue Jays (RHP Roy Halladay, 2-1, 3.60 ERA) at Yankees (RHP Jaret Wright, 0-1, 7.20 ERA), 7:05 p.m. ET

• Saturday: Blue Jays (RHP Josh Towers, 0-4, 8.35 ERA) at Yankees (LHP Randy Johnson, 3-2, 3.73 ERA), 1:05 p.m. ET

• Sunday: Blue Jays (LHP Gustavo Chacin, 4-0, 5.11 ERA) at Yankees (RHP Mike Mussina, 3-1, 2.45 ERA), 1:05 p.m. ET

Guest So.Cal Dub
I think Gomes is juicing!

He'll be a Yankee in 20 years...when he's in his "prime"

:LMAO:

Jeter now 2 for 2 and at 400. :rock:

Guest So.Cal Dub
RBI single Devil Rays...Okay...it seems like a repeat of last year...<_<

You know, I was just saying that. We still cant hit off them. :brooding: