SportsWrath

Let's talk about Matsui's defense

mickeef2

"Very good", "above average", "decent". These are the words I've heard people here use to describe him as an OF. I'll say it again- the guy has nothing on Manny. He's a total clutz.

..And you can say that all you want, but it's still bullshit!!! :TU: Manny's a fuckin' headcase who runs like he has a load of shit in his pants!(when he decides he wants to run that is...but that's just manny being manny, right?)

What happened did he drop a ball???

Man i remember so many bloopers about manny....i think they once had a sportscenter Top 10 for just his bloopers!!man it was hilarious i was crying....my fav. was the one where he threw it into the ground man as soon as i sawa that i feel out of my bed!!! :LMAO:

"Very good", "above average", "decent". These are the words I've heard people here use to describe him as an OF. I'll say it again- the guy has nothing on Manny. He's a total clutz.

No. Manny's a total klutz. While Matsui may be below average, he's still two notches above Manny.

Wait, are you voicing this opinion from last night? When he was pulled in?

:LMAO:

What a fucking moron!

If you had a clue about baseball, you'd know he turned the wrong way on that ball and badly misplayed it. I'll explain what that means to you someday, junior.

And again, if you think Matsui's defense is "above average" or "decent", you must not watch too many Yankee games. Even Manny, for all his defensive faults, makes a great play once in awhile.

and matsui also makes a great play once in a while, without making the idiotic plays that manny does

and matsui also makes a great play once in a while, without making the idiotic plays that manny does

To clarify, I wasn't saying Matsui never makes a good play. I've even seen him make great plays. But overall, he's below average. That was his rep coming from Japan, and he surprised everybody his first year with the Yanks by playing above average defense. But since then, you can see where he got the bad reputation from.

Matsui's arm is absolute trash, he does get to the ball well and plays smart, knowing where to make the throws and use cut off men at most times. In that regard he is a bit better than Manny. Manny does play the LF wall at Fenway well though and that cannot be discounted, because #1 they play 81 games there and #2 its not as easy as it seems.

Speaking of the Yankees and defense, outside of the left side of their infield(all world) their defense is IMO below average all around. Cano has much room to improve, Giambi has zero range, Matsui is adequate in left, Damon, although a gazelle in getting to balls has an arm where he makes Bernie look like Vlad Gurerrero and Sheff does not have the range he once did(although he arm is the best of the Yanks OF). I think with the no one in the starting lineup less than 31 years old besides Cano that defense could be a problem spot for the Yanks this year.

Guest So.Cal Dub
Two more stellar plays (at least- I only saw parts of the games) for Hideki out in left this weekend in Minny. :clap:

I knew that was coming..... :doh:

Oh well, we're still ahead.

It seems to me that Manny has one of the quickest releases in the game today, watching him throw out that baserunner in the 2004 World Series was surprising because he doesn't have the best arm, but his release is extremely quick, almost Barry Bonds like.

Matsui's arm is a complete noodle and whoever says they would rather have Matsui than Manny is a blind homer.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I was listening to Francesa and Russo today. Like them or hate them, they know their baseball, and Mike definitely knows his Yanks. Anyway, Russo said Matsui is a "terrible" outfielder and Francesa agreed, "terrible". He certainly hasn't done anything this year to dispell that notion.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I was listening to Francesa and Russo today. Like them or hate them, they know their baseball, and Mike definitely knows his Yanks. Anyway, Russo said Matsui is a "terrible" outfielder and Francesa agreed, "terrible". He certainly hasn't done anything this year to dispell that notion.

thats why I think Mannys ability to handle that LF wall well and play the angles of the monster properly makes him a better Ofer than most feel he is.