SportsWrath

Tate suspended 4 games for PED use

Herc

Another thorny issue to work out next CBA.

I dunno man, you take testosterone and to me thats pretty much cut and dry ped. I am sympathetic for the man but nonetheless, you start making exceptions for that and what would happen?

Who cares if they take steroids. Actors do it all the time. Guys in their 50's dont look like 20 year old athletes with ripped abs and pecks...arms. The rock doesnt juice? Vin diesel...majority of the people in super hero movies i love steroids

speak for yourself!

::flexes::

I dunno man, you take testosterone and to me thats pretty much cut and dry ped. I am sympathetic for the man but nonetheless, you start making exceptions for that and what would happen?

Take a look at that list of players who have been suspended, just the last five years to keep it short.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_suspensions_in_the_National_Football_League#Suspensions_for_violating_the_substance_policies

I'm not talking about making exceptions here, I think it needs to be re-evaluated from top to bottom. If a player like Tate for example went to the league prior to being tested and told them, something should be worked out.

There are legitimate reasons for taking substances that are flagged as PEDs.

Take a look at that list of players who have been suspended, just the last five years to keep it short.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_suspensions_in_the_National_Football_League#Suspensions_for_violating_the_substance_policies

I'm not talking about making exceptions here, I think it needs to be re-evaluated from top to bottom. If a player like Tate for example went to the league prior to being tested and told them, something should be worked out.

There are legitimate reasons for taking substances that are flagged as PEDs.

If you were going to go that route then the use would need to be cleared by team & league PRIOR to taking the PEDs, not just prior to getting caught. Tate's at fault here no matter his intention.

If you were going to go that route then the use would need to be cleared by team & league PRIOR to taking the PEDs, not just prior to getting caught. Tate's at fault here no matter his intention.

now he's talking lawsuit against the doctor.

but come on man, the substance he got dinged for was on the label.

Agreed

https://www.nj.com/giants/2019/08/suspended-giants-golden-tate-considering-suing-doctor-who-prescribed-fertility-drugs-violating-peds-policy.html

Giants wide receiver Golden Tate says he is considering taking legal action against the doctor who prescribed him the fertility drug clomiphene, resulting in his four-game suspension.
Tate’s timeline of events goes like this: He took the drug (brand name “Clomid”), was randomly tested under the NFL’s performance-enhancing drug policy in April, was alerted to its illegality before the test results came in and self-reported usage to the authorities hoping for an act of leniency.
“Initially the doctor said it was not a banned substance. In fact, he had given it to other NFL players, which I trusted it and kept living my life," a solemn and transparent Tate said after Wednesday’s practice.
“I was out to dinner one night with a guy who works for me and we were talking about another player who got suspended for something completely different. A light kind of just went off in my head, ‘Let me call the doctor and make sure just to make myself feel better.’ I asked him what the active ingredient was, and we looked it up right then and there and sure enough it was a banned substance.”
Clomid is the same drug that caused former Colts star Robert Mathis to be hit with a four-game suspension in 2014. Like Mathis, Tate appealed and lost under the zero-tolerance policy collectively bargained with the NFL Players’ Association that states players are responsible for all substances in their body.
“I have no problem accepting the punishment,” Tate said. “Ultimately, I’m responsible for what’s put in my body. The tough thing I’m dealing with is I’m letting down a lot of people: My family, the guys in the locker room, the organization that brought me here. That’s what’s been crushing me."
Tate will lose $1.2 million in salary during the unpaid four-game suspension and the $7.9 million he was contractually guaranteed next season is void, according to multiple reports.
The 31-year-old veteran still will be paid the money if on the team, but his four-year, $37.5 million free-agent contract signed in March now could turn into a one-year deal with little salary cap penalty to the Giants. It’s unlikely given his production and their need, but an out for the team nonetheless if one is desired.
With those lost wages Tate said he and his wife are “definitely looking into” taking legal action against the private doctor.
“We’re kind of examining all our options,” Tate said.

So Clomiphene is not a steroid. Did not say steroid on the packaging.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/324373.php

So what is it?

Clomiphene citrate works in a similar way to estrogen, which is a female sex hormone. Taking this drug encourages ovulation, or the release of an egg from the ovaries. This can help boost fertility for females who have difficulty conceiving due to issues with ovulation.
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) have approved clomiphene citrate for the treatment of infertility in females. However, doctors sometimes also prescribe clomiphene citrate off-label for treating males with infertility.
This is the reason why it is flagged for being a PED:
In males, clomiphene citrate increases levels of luteinizing hormone (LH) and follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH). These hormones are important for fertility and are present in both males and females.
LH encourages the release of testosterone in males. FSH is important in the first stage of sperm production, or spermatogenesis.
Increasing the level of these hormones in the body can lead to an increase in testosterone and the creation of more sperm. However, hormone interactions are complex, and there is not currently enough research to know whether boosting LH and FSH has a direct impact on male fertility. Taking clomiphene citrate may work for some males and not others.
Here is where it gets interesting:
Tate, however, easily could have checked with the Giants’ medical and training staff before beginning treatment or consulted with the Players’ Association, and he would have been told it was a banned substance.
He also could have applied for a Therapeutic Use Exemption (T.U.E.) and received permission from an independent administrator and medical adviser to undergo the treatment with the understanding it was for approved medical reasons. That would have made his positive test for Clomiphene a non-issue.
Tate should know. He admitted he has applied for T.U.E’s in the past. This time, for some reason, he didn’t. So why didn’t he go to the league or a team doctor?
“I think ultimately just because the doctor had said, ‘no, it’s not a banned substance, and I have prescribed it to other NFL guys,’” Tate said. “If the doctor says, ‘I’m not sure, I 100% would have looked into it. But (if) the doctor (had) never said he’d given it to any NFL players, I 1,000% would have looked into it. I’ve gone through the T.U.E. process for a couple medicines, and I completely understand it. That’s just an honest answer.”

There would be a baby boom amount NFL players

I mean it's clear the doctor either lied or just made a colossal fuck up which should cost him some $$$ in court.

Also Tate should of done his homework and went to his agent/team/league and said "I'm taking XYZ to help my swimmers out my doctor said it's fine but I want to make sure" and this could of all been avoided.

However he still put a banned substance in his body with or without his knowledge.

You can't make an exception otherwise there could be some precedent with players getting some PED and "claiming" that the doctor said it was fine lol