SportsWrath

You're Dave Gettleman

Sephiroth

Your team is off to a 1-6 start. Where do you go from here?

This would be the Sephiroth plan:

1. Everyone is available for trade. Like, literally... everybody. Absolute fucking fire sale these guys. I wrote in the game day thread, if someone wants OBJ for two firsts, I take it. If the Jags want Eli for a fifth, I take it. Somebody wants Vernon for a third, I take it. This season is over and we need to cut all the dead wood and start fresh. I wouldn't do anything absurd... like get rid of Eli for a seventh... but basically, if you're not on your rookie contract I'd be listening.

2. Solder, Jenkins, Vernon, and Ogletree should all agree to pay cuts. If they don't, then cut them if it's an option (Jenkins) and deal with the guys you're stuck with (I think the other three). Damon Harrison only costs us 7 mil next year and I think he's more than worth it at that price.

3. I don't think Shurmur is a very good coach but I think we're also stuck with him for at least another year. Give him an opportunity to get "his guys" in here if there even is such a thing.

4. Draft your next QB if he's available, but if not, look really hard at the O-line. I think we need at least one O-lineman in free agency and probably two in the first three rounds of the draft.

5. If Eli can't be traded, ask him to retire or cut him. Bring in a stopgap guy if we have the number one overall pick (a Bradford type) or maybe a stopgap with upside (a Bridgewater type) if there's no attractive QBs available where we pick.

6. Get rid of Alex Tanney and sign Webb off the Jets practice squad. Tanney was the "if Eli gets hurt and we're making a run, come in and not fuck up for a game or two" QB. I think we're pretty far past that now. Webb can compete for next year's backup spot; just based on the eye test I don't think Lauletta is an NFL-caliber QB... I'm pretty sure he's Tim Hasselbeck. Get them both ready to play the last 6-8 games.

7. I wouldn't break the bank for Collins as he's basically a one-trick pony (run stuffing safety). If he wants to stay and be paid "run stuffing safety" money, then keep him, otherwise he can walk.

I said it last April... we're gonna suck for a long time, gentlemen. Get ready for a really shitty 2-3 years after this one, minimum.

Barkley

Beckham

Sheppard

Engram

Hernandez

Ogletree

Carter

Snacks

Bj hill

Collins

Barwin

Tomlinson

Vernon

Rosas

Dixon

Gallman

Wynn

Theres nothing wrong with any of these guys so making statements like lets trade everyone makes no sense. You can turn a team around quickly using a base like that.

Boom!

Agreed. Except Eli as I dont think the Giants should rat fuck a standup guy like him....plus his no trade.

C. Wagon

You don't think BJ Hill has played very well for us? Or the other rook at LB?

I think he should be taking a long look at Shurmur first.

Yeah I think he's not very good, but also it's not really the Giants way to can a coach after one year... sends a bad signal to the rest of the league.

Not that John Mara has really done... well... anything to make me think he can run his family's football team, but I'd at least hope he tries to have some stability before we find the next Ben McAdoo.

Strange thing about all these ideas of cutting and trading people is the lacking in details and answers. Meh he hasn't been playing well and he makes more than me so lets cut him and pay someone else more money and hope they play better. That is of course if you can find a replacement in free agency that is better who you will then declare overpaid minutes later.

Cleveland Browns stockpiled draft picks and brought in a lot of people and expected a big turnaround a few years ago (2015-2016). Cleveland learned just because you had 12-14 draft picks you weren't going to get anywhere near that many starters and backups.

Who do we draft? Best everything available according to Kiper or by pundit consensus?

Oline is a disaster...not sure how to fix it...they're the most sought after players in the league. Hard to find good ones in their prime. You have to draft them for the most part. The defense isn't bad...they're young and make plays. But they're young inexperienced and gassed. There are some all pro caliber players on defense.

The days of the fire sale are pretty much gone. Teams are placing a higher value on their draft picks, mainly for money reasons. 2 or 3 more years of cost control on an elite player's rookie contract is too enticing for most owners to move on from. Then if you find a willing trade partner will they meet your compensation demands or are you overvaluing your player.

Then lets say you make a haul of draft picks, how many will pan out. Look at the Browns.

And if the picks work out, usually you will know by year 3 which means you will have a bunch of players just hitting their stride who will also be hitting the free agency market.

So a good scouting organization is also a prime requirement to keep the pipeline full as is a good coach to make the pieces fit together. That's a lot to ask for. Pats are the only ones doing that to a high degree, maybe KC is a little behind them with Pitt. Don't see the Rams as a long term winner, they seem to be in it to win it now.

Strange thing about all these ideas of cutting and trading people is the lacking in details and answers. Meh he hasn't been playing well and he makes more than me so lets cut him and pay someone else more money and hope they play better. That is of course if you can find a replacement in free agency that is better who you will then declare overpaid minutes later.

Cleveland Browns stockpiled draft picks and brought in a lot of people and expected a big turnaround a few years ago (2015-2016). Cleveland learned just because you had 12-14 draft picks you weren't going to get anywhere near that many starters and backups.

Who do we draft? Best everything available according to Kiper or by pundit consensus?

Cleveland had an atrocious front office for years... it wasted all those picks... especially shit like Johnny Menzel

On offense...Not trading Obj ,Barkley Shepard,Engram or Eli Manning. And probably the new kick returner..... oh and Rosas is safe to. I would say Hernandez Is safe as well.

BJ Hill and Snacks and The rookie LB.

Oline is a disaster...not sure how to fix it...they're the most sought after players in the league. Hard to find good ones in their prime. You have to draft them for the most part. The defense isn't bad...they're young and make plays. But they're young inexperienced and gassed. There are some all pro caliber players on defense.

I think thats why the Giants are going full rebuild mode... I wouldnt be surprised if they draft 2 OLs in two out of top 3 picks in 2019 especially if theres no viable qb....

Cleveland has a lot of good young talent and is on the way up thanks to their recent drafts. They just need a real coach. Jacksonville is struggling the past couple of weeks but they went from 5 wins to almost the Super Bowl by hitting on high round picks and spending in free agency. Rams turned it around the same way. Eagles, chargers, bears. The combination of above average draft capital, salary cap space, and a good gm is how you turn it around quick. We will have those first 2 things next offseason if we cut Eli, Jenkins, Thomas and Stewart and continue to lose. Plus the high draft capital we already invested last offseason looks pretty solid so far. Jury is still out on gettleman, sometimes I worry hes a little too old school with signings like Stewart, but he did go after a linebacker and I happen to agree with his implied evaluation of the available qbs in the last draft. Plus Martin was a great signing. You dont turn into a good team by standing pat with bad and/or overpriced players and assume they will get better with time. You get rid of them ASAP and try to use what you can salvage from their releases on better talent

Cleveland has a lot of good young talent and is on the way up thanks to their recent drafts. They just need a real coach. Jacksonville is struggling the past couple of weeks but they went from 5 wins to almost the Super Bowl by hitting on high round picks and spending in free agency. Rams turned it around the same way. Eagles, chargers, bears. The combination of above average draft capital, salary cap space, and a good gm is how you turn it around quick. We will have those first 2 things next offseason if we cut Eli, Jenkins, Thomas and Stewart and continue to lose. Plus the high draft capital we already invested last offseason looks pretty solid so far. Jury is still out on gettleman, sometimes I worry hes a little too old school with signings like Stewart, but he did go after a linebacker and I happen to agree with his implied evaluation of the available qbs in the last draft. Plus Martin was a great signing. You dont turn into a good team by standing pat with bad and/or overpriced players and assume they will get better with time. You get rid of them ASAP and try to use what you can salvage from their releases on better talent

Spot on.... Im relieved the fo realized we just dont have the pieces and our cap is in shambles..

Herc is right...an intelligent person knows when they're beat...idiots will try to win when they have no shot.

Smart people say I don't know. Dumb people say anything

Get whatever you can in trades, build on the young guys and productive cost efficient vets and make savvy moves.

2 years and they should be contending with the right leadership and lack of ego

Snacks is out now, too. The comp is even worse. A 5th rounder. Im not terribly unhappy as the team is deep at DT and I dont think a primarily run stuffing DT is all that valuable in todays NFL where only a handful of teams really even attempt to run.