SportsWrath

Tiki Barber says Coughlin should be fired

JMFP

http://nypost.com/2014/11/17/tiki-barber-wants-tom-coughlin-fired/

....“The Giants players are not listening to Tom Coughlin anymore,” Barber told The Beast 980 in Los Angeles.

“As much as they want to pass the buck and ‘Oh, it was the offensive coordinator, let’s get rid of Kevin Gilbride and bring in Ben McAdoo.’ And: ‘Oh, now it’s the defensive coordinator, so maybe it’s time to get rid of Perry Fewell.’ At some point, it trickles uphill and it has to be Tom Coughlin’s responsibility. And it is time — and I’ve held off from saying this — for them to make a change [at head coach].”.....

Still can't bring himself to admit that Tom Coughlin turned him into a better RB. Tiki Barber rested the first five years of his career and had more fumbles than touchdowns most of his career. With that said I respect Tiki Barber doing his best to make some money to support his kids.

I think the quote that you quoted Joe mirrors what a lot of us have been saying. Perhaps not in as many words. Nas consistently mentions Coughlin's inability to get adequate assistants in here; with the exception being Gilbride's tenure, before the game passed him by and Spagnuolo's brief tenure. I think Coughlin's mitts are in the proverbial cookie jar when it comes to what we see out of these coordinators on their respective sides of the ball. I read somewhere that Coughlin's response to not QB sneaking the ball on 4th and inch was because, he doesn't believe in the QB Sneak and doesn't use it. The constant fade calls in the red zone have been a staple of this team for far, far too long. The inflexibility and lack of creativity in the run game, both in the blocking scheme and the in the predictability of 1st down run, 2nd down run, 3rd down (and long) pass that is pretty much the cookie-cutter recipe for the first 4 offensive possessions of the game. I think it's less noticeable on the defensive side of the ball where Fewell tends to do just fine screwing up on his own (though he had his players buying in on Sunday).

So think what you will about Tiki, but I think his opinion is actually shared by many Giants fans.

I think the quote that you quoted Joe mirrors what a lot of us have been saying. Perhaps not in as many words. Nas consistently mentions Coughlin's inability to get adequate assistants in here; with the exception being Gilbride's tenure, before the game passed him by and Spagnuolo's brief tenure. I think Coughlin's mitts are in the proverbial cookie jar when it comes to what we see out of these coordinators on their respective sides of the ball. I read somewhere that Coughlin's response to not QB sneaking the ball on 4th and inch was because, he doesn't believe in the QB Sneak and doesn't use it. The constant fade calls in the red zone have been a staple of this team for far, far too long. The inflexibility and lack of creativity in the run game, both in the blocking scheme and the in the predictability of 1st down run, 2nd down run, 3rd down (and long) pass that is pretty much the cookie-cutter recipe for the first 4 offensive possessions of the game. I think it's less noticeable on the defensive side of the ball where Fewell tends to do just fine screwing up on his own (though he had his players buying in on Sunday).

So think what you will about Tiki, but I think his opinion is actually shared by many Giants fans.

Hard to run the ball when we have a collegiate calibur offensive line.

Have to ignore Tiki on all things Coughlin given an obvious bias.

That said, though I don't think anyone would ever admit it, I believe the Giants brought McAdoo in for more than the coordinator position. Sure, they would never label him a coach in waiting until he proved himself a competant coordinator, but given the huge change of direction for the offense...I can't help but think that the Giants want(ed) McAdoo to take over. In order to do so, McAdoo needs at least another year. Bring in a new head coach, Giants won't force McAdoo on a new head coach.

So, in my opinion, we're stuck with Coughlin for another season.

Have to ignore Tiki on all things Coughlin given an obvious bias.

That said, though I don't think anyone would ever admit it, I believe the Giants brought McAdoo in for more than the coordinator position. Sure, they would never label him a coach in waiting until he proved himself a competant coordinator, but given the huge change of direction for the offense...I can't help but think that the Giants want(ed) McAdoo to take over. In order to do so, McAdoo needs at least another year. Bring in a new head coach, Giants won't force McAdoo on a new head coach.

So, in my opinion, we're stuck with Coughlin for another season.

Isn't this the problem? What big change on offense?

Isn't this the problem? What big change on offense?

The change in direction from a high risk/high reward offense that Gilbride ran to the low risk/low reward offense that McAdoo was to bring in. Not saying the change has been successful necessarily, but it remains a drastic change in how the offense operates.

Essentially, the thought process and operation is vastly different - but the change hasn't yet yielded the desired results...unless you count Eli's lower interception total (but I admit, even writing that in a week following a 5-interception game, isn't easy to do).

Eli Manning dismisses Tiki's call for Coughlin ouster

Tiki Barber wiggled his way back into the 24-hour news cycle this week. As you might have guessed, he did so by saying something critical about the New York Giants.

Barber, whom Tom Coughlin helped mold into one of the best running backs in football before his ill-timed retirement in 2007, told a Los Angeles radio station the time has come for the Giants to fire their longtime head coach.

Eli Manning -- he himself once the target of Barber's acidic tongue -- said little but conveyed much when told of his former teammate's opinion on Wednesday.

"That's nice of him," Manning said, according to the New York Daily News. "It's good to hear from old Tiki."

The quarterback was asked if it's a distraction when a former teammate calls for the coach to be fired.

"I think," Eli replied, "it depends on your opinion of that player."

NFL Media colleague Judy Battista remarked that Manning used a "sledgehammer wrapped in velvet" here. We quite like that.

Barber's opinion isn't exactly malicious, or even a bad one. Coughlin is now 68 years old, and the Giants have slipped into something of an organizational malaise since their improbable Super Bowl run in 2011. But Barber should know by now that any negative opinion on the Giants will come off as sour grapes for a guy who just missed the Super Bowl gravy train.

Then again, that realization would require a sliver of self-awareness. We're not convinced that's in play here.
The latest Around The NFL Podcast recaps every Sunday game from an action-packed Week 11. Find more Around The NFL content on NFL NOW.

NFL.com Linkage

Honestly, Coughlin helped Tiki with an important detail in how to carry the ball. Tiki becoming great is not a Coughlin creation as much as we would like to think. It was a testament to Tiki's work ethic and innate ability.

And as much as I really don't give a shit what Tiki thinks, I give even less of a shit what Eli thinks until Captain Dumbface starts playing like the "elite QB" he thinks he is.

Honestly, Coughlin helped Tiki with an important detail in how to carry the ball. Tiki becoming great is not a Coughlin creation as much as we would like to think. It was a testament to Tiki's work ethic and innate ability.

And as much as I really don't give a shit what Tiki thinks, I give even less of a shit what Eli thinks until Captain Dumbface starts playing like the "elite QB" he thinks he is.

Thank you Jim... the pure voice of reason on this one.. While I loath MeMe Barber with a passion... what he says is true... And where did Coughlin get his insight into the high and tight... Otis Anderson was really the guy who brought it to the Giants. Coughlin as an assistant coach just passed it on. One of the first things O.J. Anderson did when he came to the Giants was teach the high and tight. So before people go and elevate Coughlin to Sainthood lets not go overboard. :P

Thank you Jim... the pure voice of reason on this one.. While I loath MeMe Barber with a passion... what he says is true... And where did Coughlin get his insight into the high and tight... Otis Anderson was really the guy who brought it to the Giants. Coughlin as an assistant coach just passed it on. One of the first things O.J. Anderson did when he came to the Giants was teach the high and tight. So before people go and elevate Coughlin to Sainthood lets not go overboard. :P

The high and tight is similar to knee bend in hockey.....get that joint locked in and it is much more force-resistant.....it's similar to the angled spans (arches) found in bridges and other high-load structures.

3 years without winning a Super Bowl is too long for any fan to expect to wait.

Do you foresee a Super Bowl run in the next 2 years? If you do you are looking through blue colored glasses. So that will be 5 years at least. Then you throw up your hands and say "ok, let's blow this up" Hello 2025.