SportsWrath

Bring in Pepper Johnson and install a 3-4

JMFP

But linebacker is our weakest position, Joe...we can't even get one good linebacker to come here (and stay healthy, anyway). I can't imagine we'd get 4 starting caliber linebackers. We don't even have one. McClain is serviceable, perhaps.

Kennard and McClain would be inside, Damontre Moore would be a rush linebacker on the outside, and Jacquian Williams would play on the outside as a coverage linebacker with current personnel. JPP would be a DE still, and I believe would be just as effective. Hankins the nose, and Cullen Jenkins as the other DE, which Patterson would also play. I don't think we'd be better off, or significantly worse at the time being.

Switching alignments isn't the cure for the defense.

Yeah and being an ex-hero doesn't mean success. I think the Giants are going to make a big play for Jim Harbaugh. He''s been successful wherever he's gone and he yearns for a mature, business-like atmosphere like NY. The 49ers front office is young and sensitive. Harbaugh is about winning, not soothing egos.

Yeah and being an ex-hero doesn't mean success. I think the Giants are going to make a big play for Jim Harbaugh. He''s been successful wherever he's gone and he yearns for a mature, business-like atmosphere like NY. The 49ers front office is young and sensitive. Harbaugh is about winning, not soothing egos.

I get the sense you want him in NY as well... I really hope so too.. I've had enough of Coughlin and his way of doing business... Shit I hope Harbaugh can bring a few guys with him from over there too.

You think he'll keep McAdoo or bring his own OC?

If that fucking happens I'll be done with ALL football.

No way I'm going to watch a minimum of four years with that asshole on the sidelines.

If that fucking happens I'll be done with ALL football.

No way I'm going to watch a minimum of four years with that asshole on the sidelines.

They're all assholes. Coughlin was the biggest asshole around when he first got here.

Wow now we're talking about firing Tom Coughlin for Jim Harbaugh? Hasn't won a super bowl yet in case anyone was keeping track and being an asshole does not make you a better coach.

not fire him. bump him upstairs for a couple of years. he's not going to win again anyway. Show me the last HC who wasn't an asshole that won the SB.

Four years of watching that loud mouthed cry baby run up and down the field screaming at the refs after every single play.

Then having the team quit on him.

He's the lesser of the two brothers and his own team doesn't want to extend his contract, now if John Harbaugh was looking for a HC job, things would be different.

Joe wants to relive the 1980s

No.

I want an alignment that is better suited to stopping mobile QBs, among other things.

Beats the fuck out of the 4-2-5..... a scheme designed so a back can outrun the DE and then run over a safety.

We have no real reason to stay 4-3: it's not like we have Strahan, Tuck, and Osi anymore. Not saying 3-4 will save the day, it's just that there's no talent on this team preventing it.

As usual, Fish gets my point.

Jameel McClain interview on Seattle loss:

Q: As the starting middle linebacker for a team that just gave up 350 yards rushing, what was your take on what went wrong?
A: We just didn’t play sound football. People weren’t where they were supposed to be, myself included. I always look at myself first. There was a time or two where I wasn’t in the position that I was supposed to be in to help the defense. We really didn’t play solid football. That is it in a nutshell. As a starting linebacker or as any linebacker, it is anybody on this defense, even someone who was watching the game, no one likes that feeling. No one wants records to be set on them, no one.

Q: Do you feel like you guys can straighten it out, though? You are facing another read-option quarterback in [Colin] Kaepernick…Do you feel like it is fixable that quickly?
A: Absolutely. Absolutely. Absolutely, it is fixable. It is more communication. It is more attention to detail. It is more [if someone doesn’t know], ask a question. It is more of that. Everything can be fixed. We are blessed. We are in the NFL. Each week we get another opportunity to prove ourselves all over again. In these past weeks, we haven’t done well, so this is the time the iron strikes and it is hot. We get it rolling the way it is supposed to be going and like you said, we do face the same offense over again. People really have to look at themselves. Starting with me, I have to look at myself harder and see what I can do better.

Q: Did you feel that you guys were prepared for everything you saw… Were there any surprises out there to give up that kind of yardage?
A: We were prepared. We were definitely prepared. Coach had a great game plan. The game changes. There always will be a few surprises. We can’t predict exactly what they are going to do. They did have a few wrinkles that we did not know of. Within those wrinkles, they got some plays off of it. All in all, it is just a player thing. It is not about being surprised. It is not about the game plan. It is not about being bad. It is not about anything. It is about coaches coach and players play. Us players, myself as a player, we need to play better.

We have no real reason to stay 4-3: it's not like we have Strahan, Tuck, and Osi anymore. Not saying 3-4 will save the day, it's just that there's no talent on this team preventing it.

Agreed.....except that we'd have to come up with four linebackers.....but hell, we need three now. I guess Hankins can play the nose in a 3-4. He's 6'2," 320 and he's only 22, so he could still add bulk, if needed.

Jameel McClain interview on Seattle loss:

Q: As the starting middle linebacker for a team that just gave up 350 yards rushing, what was your take on what went wrong?

A: We just didn’t play sound football. People weren’t where they were supposed to be, myself included. I always look at myself first. There was a time or two where I wasn’t in the position that I was supposed to be in to help the defense. We really didn’t play solid football. That is it in a nutshell. As a starting linebacker or as any linebacker, it is anybody on this defense, even someone who was watching the game, no one likes that feeling. No one wants records to be set on them, no one.

Q: Do you feel like you guys can straighten it out, though? You are facing another read-option quarterback in [Colin] Kaepernick…Do you feel like it is fixable that quickly?

A: Absolutely. Absolutely. Absolutely, it is fixable. It is more communication. It is more attention to detail. It is more [if someone doesn’t know], ask a question. It is more of that. Everything can be fixed. We are blessed. We are in the NFL. Each week we get another opportunity to prove ourselves all over again. In these past weeks, we haven’t done well, so this is the time the iron strikes and it is hot. We get it rolling the way it is supposed to be going and like you said, we do face the same offense over again. People really have to look at themselves. Starting with me, I have to look at myself harder and see what I can do better.

Q: Did you feel that you guys were prepared for everything you saw… Were there any surprises out there to give up that kind of yardage?

A: We were prepared. We were definitely prepared. Coach had a great game plan. The game changes. There always will be a few surprises. We can’t predict exactly what they are going to do. They did have a few wrinkles that we did not know of. Within those wrinkles, they got some plays off of it. All in all, it is just a player thing. It is not about being surprised. It is not about the game plan. It is not about being bad. It is not about anything. It is about coaches coach and players play. Us players, myself as a player, we need to play better.

I'm sure that will fix it.

Agreed.....except that we'd have to come up with four linebackers.....but hell, we need three now. I guess Hankins can play the nose in a 3-4. He's 6'2," 320 and he's only 22, so he could still add bulk, if needed.

Beason, McClain, Kennard, Paysinger, Herzlich, and the Cornerback known as J-Will.

Moore could also get a look since he played OLB in a 3-4 in college for 2 years.

They need to add a couple in draft/free agency.

Hankins, Jenkins, Patterson, Kuhn, and maybe Bromley are serviceable on the line.

JPP might play stand up rusher, but might be too high-priced in free agency.

They need to trash this defense and start over.....5 years with Fewell, and the majority have been completely underwhelming, soft units.

32nd in the NFL....not like they have anything close to a winning formula right now. It's broke...they need to fix it.