SportsWrath

Where's the Dexter Lawrence threads?

Tempest

I don't think the problem was the 'win now' mentality, I think the problem was a severe overestimation of the team's talent.

They had the mentality of "Win now with Eli before he retires" the problem was exactly as you stated, they didnt have the talent to do so, at the coaching and player level.

The problem with the Giants was, they should of blown this whole thing up the moment Coughlin was let go and looked to rebuild and make a push now.

Instead we have a team that is kinda sorta maybe talented enough to win enough games to go maybe 7-9 or 9-7 they really don't have a "solid core" of players, just mashed together rookies and FA vets.

I'll make some assumptions here, because obviously we don't really know how some of these young guys will turn out, but.... for the sake of discussion.... isn't Jones-Barkley-Engram+Shepard a good offensive core? And on D, Lawrence, Hill, Connelly (major projection there), and Peppers form a good defensive core?

I mean, they could be. And the team can't very well go forward under the assumption they aren't.

I'll make some assumptions here, because obviously we don't really know how some of these young guys will turn out, but.... for the sake of discussion.... isn't Jones-Barkley-Engram+Shepard a good offensive core? And on D, Lawrence, Hill, Connelly (major projection there), and Peppers form a good defensive core?

I mean, they could be. And the team can't very well go forward under the assumption they aren't.

Its definitely a good core. Thats why Im always confused when I hear people saying this team is so far off. Theyre a pass rusher, an LT, an LB and another safety away, in my opinion. Possibly a bigger receiver but I think Slayton can be that guy.

And the best part is, this team is super young.

Indeed, and I think it really speaks to just how far gone this roster was that they've added most of those pieces in just the last couple years.

Did Reese ever hit on a pick that wasn't some kind of receiver? Linval Joseph, that was his name.

Jonathan Hankins wasnt bad either.

Jones has yet to be seen what he turns out to be, Engram and Shepard are injury prone, and Engram is looking for a big pay day. Barkley is the proven thing on offence to build a team around and he's going to command a 90+ million dollar contract sooner rather than later.

Our Oline is held together with vets who are gone in two years (unless they get paid) and Hernandez (who still has to be paid)

Our defense isnt in much better of a situation, the best pass rusher on the team is on a one year contract, the rookie Hill/Tomlinson are both set for pay days in two years, the LBs so far next year are Connelly and who? The best player in the secondary is on a rookie contract is up in two years and he'll be looking for a pay day, and so far the CBs are highly unproven against any real talent.

I'm sorry but this team is in better shape but there is no where near an "winning core" on this team with the massive amount of roster turnover the last two years and more than likely the next year as well.

Not to mention the lack of any talent so far, or talent yet to develop.

I mean look at the Giants between 2007 and 2011.

The offence was basically the same team except for Plax and Toomer, the Oline was the same four guys, the running backs were the same.

The Dline was basically the same as well, and the secondary and LBs had carry over starters.

Now look at the Giants in 2015 and now, there isnt a SINGLE player from 2015 on the roster or atleast starting lol

Not saying there isnt potential, but we don't have a winning team right now, the "core" players are young and inexperienced and have only been together almost one season so far lol

Doesn't mean it will always stay that way obviously with time and better drafting/FA signings from the new FO they get better, but so far we are on pace to win one more game than last year.

Improvement for sure this year, but far from an established winning team of players.

With more roster turnover to go in the next year.

Which is kinda why I was hoping the Giants went through this process a couple season earlier so we could be watching a team who has already gone through this period.

But what can ya do, FO/Owner was convinced we could still win games.

This is how I see the next two years playing out;

2019-2020; Finish 6-10 or 7-9 pick in the late teens.

We use the 60+ million in cap space to find a starting LB, pass rusher (either give Golden the $$$ or a FA), find RB depth in FA, extend Barkley, Henendez and either Peppers or BJ HIll, the extensions take up most of the cap space we have.

Draft - Starting LB/WR in round one, LT/DE in round two, rest of the picks are for depth and Getty seems to find some gems in the later round.

2020-2021; Jones has a year of experience, Oline is still the same, and possibly better with the LT drafted to replace Solder (who's either traded or cut to make space for next year)

Finish - somewhere in the 7-9 to 10-6 range, team gets better and hopefully stays healthy, rookie CBs this year are playing better, and with some starters at LB/Dline added in FA/draft the defence turns it around, possibly a change at DC as well.

2021-2022; Use the cap space to extend rookies (from 2019/2018) who have proven value, as well as Zeitler and Engram. FA bring in WR help (since Tate will be gone) and secondary help (since Bethea is gone and one of the rookie CBs probably isnt working out)

Draft; BPA who will help the team "win now"

Jones is in year three who is now more polished then before, Oline is still intact and rookie LT has a year under his belt, Dline, LBs and Secondary are all much improved since many players are in year three and we have quality starters from the FA/Draft in 2019-2020 offseason.

Finish - JUST WIN BABY!

Lol, maybe. But the D did their part in the second half. Cardinals offense was figured out.

I would agree, but at the same time when it mattered, the defence couldn't get it done.

I'm sick of seeing this defence not being able to win or even close games, or even reliably force a 3 and out after a good offensive drive.

It's less about the defence doing their job and more the other team doing something stupid and shooting themselves in the foot.

Since this is the Lawrence thread, let's note... not his best game.

But hardly the best for most of them either.

Yeah the Cardinals clearly took note that Lawrence was graded as the best rookie defensively in the draft so far.

They threw a lot of misdirection and double teams his way.

He better get used to it and fast because it isnt going to change anytime soon.