SportsWrath

Giants co-owner John Mara says 'so far, so good' on free agent additions

Nas

Rebuild a 6-10 team through the draft when, outside of a real bind or undeniable talents at respective positions, they rarely let rookies see any meaningful playing time. So how's that going to work? I could see that helping 2 to 3 years out, but not coming off a 6-10 season.

Rebuild a 6-10 team through the draft when, outside of a real bind or undeniable talents at respective positions, they rarely let rookies see any meaningful playing time. So how's that going to work? I could see that helping 2 to 3 years out, but not coming off a 6-10 season.

He's taking the long view... you won't have many rookies come and start but a rookie last year is a starter this year or next is his point of view. Besides, given the # of injuries last year, we can conclude we're really not a 6-10 team.

Ahh...the same excuse every year.

That's taking the dim view. I think on the whole we've done better than I'd say 30 other teams in this league over the past 10 years.

What seems to be common denominators that have kept us from being being consistent are:

- Injuries.

- Coughlin's inability to spot coordinator talent or get rid of horrible ones.

That's taking the dim view. I think on the whole we've done better than I'd say 30 other teams in this league over the past 10 years.

What seems to be common denominators that have kept us from being being consistent are:

- Injuries.

- Coughlin's inability to spot coordinator talent or get rid of horrible ones.

Add Bad Drafting and horrible cap management to the list.

Add Bad Drafting and horrible cap management to the list.

I can't agree or disagree in the sense that our drafts can only bad if we were to compare to other teams... and I think if we were to do that, we'll see that we're just as bad as everyone else... and the cap is a dance for every team every year.

I can't agree or disagree in the sense that our drafts can only bad if we were to compare to other teams... and I think if we were to do that, we'll see that we're just as bad as everyone else... and the cap is a dance for every team every year.

In terms of cap management, we're definitely in the bottom 16 in the league. They have gotten better when it comes to not over paying players they've drafted but on the flip side they have been paying more to bring in talent without making a dramatic improvement at the position.

Winning two super bowls and paying extra to retain the players that got us there has been a huge factor in the tight spaces we have been the last 6 years.

Every single person that points at the last few years of bad drafts from fans to sports writers continuously fail to recognize our successes in bringing in talented starters after the draft.

In terms of cap management, we're definitely in the bottom 16 in the league. They have gotten better when it comes to not over paying players they've drafted but on the flip side they have been paying more to bring in talent without making a dramatic improvement at the position.

Winning two super bowls and paying extra to retain the players that got us there has been a huge factor in the tight spaces we have been the last 6 years.

Every single person that points at the last few years of bad drafts from fans to sports writers continuously fail to recognize our successes in bringing in talented starters after the draft.

We do a great job at finding guys that slip through the cracks, but why does it even have to come to that?

He's taking the long view... you won't have many rookies come and start but a rookie last year is a starter this year or next is his point of view. Besides, given the # of injuries last year, we can conclude we're really not a 6-10 team.

That's the position you take if you don't think Coughlin is going to be the coach next year; in which case, this year becomes all about going through the motions. Mara is talkin success a couple years down the line. How's that going to work when coughlin needs to win right now? In which case, the question becomes: why delay the inevitable? Because they want Coughlin to oversee one year of the rebuilding process??

We do a great job at finding guys that slip through the cracks, but why does it even have to come to that?

I don't really see how it matters if you get a player in the draft or right after the draft. Only thing that completely confuses me is the amazing number of misses when we draft linebackers.

They've already addressed the two most glaring weaknesses on this team in the last two offseasons... Gilbride and Fewell.

Now that we have a very good OC in McAdoo, if early results are an indicator, and an aggressive DC (which was sorely needed, IMO), there is reason to be hopeful just on those coaching moves alone. I do think we are still somewhat talent deficient on the roster compared to the other top NFC teams like Seattle, Green Bay, and Dallas. That talent gap can be overcome by either roster attrition by those opponents, and the lack thereof by us, or superior coaching, or a combination of the two. Problem is roster attrition affects every team, and to the degree of which is random, and the other top teams seem to have excellent coaching in place, in particular Green Bay and Seattle.

But there's always a chance, I guess. Need to hit big in the draft again to try to make up the difference.

I don't really see how it matters if you get a player in the draft or right after the draft. Only thing that completely confuses me is the amazing number of misses when we draft linebackers.

It matters in the same regard as free agency vs draft. Why not both? What is it about our scouting department that allows us to find gems like a Victor Cruz outside the draft and then take a guy like Ramses Barden in the 3rd round?

It matters in the same regard as free agency vs draft. Why not both? What is it about our scouting department that allows us to find gems like a Victor Cruz outside the draft and then take a guy like Ramses Barden in the 3rd round?

It's not just the Giant's though.

This has been the case of the draft since it was first introduced.

How does a guy like Jamarcus Russle go #1 overall?

How do guys like Tom Brady go in the 6th? I think it was.

How does Washington get two full drafts plus more when they traded the pick for Ricky William and not get a SB caliber team out of all of it?

Every team misses on players, just as much as the Giant's do, however as said the Giants seem to be really good at recognizing talent outside of the draft.

It's not just the Giant's though.

This has been the case of the draft since it was first introduced.

How does a guy like Jamarcus Russle go #1 overall?

How do guys like Tom Brady go in the 6th? I think it was.

How does Washington get two full drafts plus more when they traded the pick for Ricky William and not get a SB caliber team out of all of it?

Every team misses on players, just as much as the Giant's do, however as said the Giants seem to be really good at recognizing talent outside of the draft.

Washington and Oakland have been horribly run franchises for the better part of 20 years. New England seems to make the most out of every draft. Not sure that's a fair comparison but I get what you're saying... HOWEVER I feel like that's making excuses for our own front office.

Exactly. Reese's shitty drafts have really crippled this team and the FA class was pretty terrible last year too. Again, if the Giants don't make the playoffs he should be the first to go.

Exactly. Reese's shitty drafts have really crippled this team and the FA class was pretty terrible last year too. Again, if the Giants don't make the playoffs he should be the first to go.

And really, they've added depth and role players to a team that is missing some starting caliber players at key positions.

Reese hasn't had many "shittty drafts"

It's just not true.

He's hit on every single 1st rounder. Wilson doesn't count IMO. Jury is out still on Pugh tho.

In 11 that draft sucked but ALL those guys contributed to our SB mainly.

Marvin Austin, Jernigan and James Brewer contributed to that super bowl? Mook was the only good pick in that draft and barely played his rookie year

Marvin Austin, Jernigan and James Brewer contributed to that super bowl? Mook was the only good pick in that draft and barely played his rookie year

Jernigan was the KR during the super bowl so Yes.

Austin did squat, so good point, but he just took Terrence Knightons job in Denver. Brewer sucks ass tho, sorry I forgot to look at the draft that year.

Late rounders like Greg Jones and Jaquain were key cogs in there roles tho that year.

Jernigan was the KR during the super bowl so Yes.

Austin did squat, so good point, but he just took Terrence Knightons job in Denver. Brewer sucks ass tho, sorry I forgot to look at the draft that year.

Late rounders like Greg Jones and Jaquain were key cogs in there roles tho that year.

I liked Jones, not sure what happened to him in that next offseason

I liked Jones, not sure what happened to him in that next offseason

I think they were hoping he wasnt needed because Goff would be coming back from IR, then they waived the both of them.

I'm not entirely sure but I think Jones is playing in the CFL now, remember reading something about it.