SportsWrath

Giants expected to have interest in top safeties Devin McCourty and Rahim Moore, per sources

Mr. P

With veteran safety Antrel Rolle set to hit the market, the search for a replacement is about to intensify for the Giants when free agent negotiating opens this weekend.

The Giants are expected to look straight to the top of the soon-to-be available players, beginning with New England's Devin McCourty and Denver's Rahim Moore, according to multiple people with knowledge of the situation. The individuals requested anonymity because teams can't sign free agents from other teams until Tuesday at 4 p.m. (ET).

Both McCourty and Moore are free safeties who will draw serious interest from a multitude of teams, and will likely be paid handsomely for their services. The expectations are that McCourty, a Rutgers product and New York native, will land a deal that pays him in the range of $9-10 million per year and Moore $5-8 million.

The Eagles are one of the many teams expected to make a serious run at McCourty, who is open to playing locally. The Raiders, Jets, Bears and Texans are expected to be among those in the running for Moore. As always when it comes to free agency, price will dictate how far the Giants are willing to go on a specific player. Seattle's Earl Thomas and New Orleans' Jairus Byrd are the only safeties in the $9-10 million range. That may be a stretch for the Giants.

N.J. Sports Now: Devin McCourty is perfect free agent fit for Giants If the Patriots allow Devin McCourty to hit the open market, the Giants should bring the former Rutgers star home to replace Antrel Rolle.

McCourty, 27, is a converted corner who has become a Pro Bowl-caliber safety. Moore, 25, was a second-round pick in 2011 and is coming off a solid season where he proved to be a playmaker with five interceptions and two forced fumbles.

After McCourty and Moore, there is a significant dropoff at the position.

"Safety is a very thin market right now in free agency," said former NFL personnel executive and current ESPN analyst Louis Riddick during a conference call with reporters on Thursday.

Rolle is a quality option, but he's 32 and unlikely to break the bank. Buffalo's Da'Norris Searcy is also an interesting free agent (only one full year as a starter) and could draw some interest from the Giants.

"There's not much there," one individual with knowledge of the safety market said. "It makes those two [at the top] very valuable, at a difficult position to fill."

With that being the case, the Giants are expected to start with the big guns. They'll likely move down from there, in desperate need to pencil in at least one starter with Rolle, Stevie Brown and Quintin Demps all set to become free agents.

The Giants don't have a safety under contract right now that has started an NFL game. Late-round draft picks Cooper Taylor and Nat Berhe should receive an opportunity to start at one spot, but the Giants want a proven starter on the other side.

This is not considered a strong draft for safeties either. There is not believed to be a player the Giants would pick with the ninth-overall pick. There may not be many (if any) second-round options either.

The Giants' answer appears to be in free agency. If history with general manager Jerry Reese proves anything, it's that he's not afraid to heavily invest in a safety. Five years ago to the day (March 6, 2010), the Giants signed Antrel Rolle to a record five-year, $37 million deal. Rolle played every game in those five years.

Now, a search for his replacement appears on.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2015/03/giants_expected_to_have_interest_in_top_safeties_d.html

Parker and Stewart I guess.

Seems we gotta get somebody.

You would think...Berhe and Taylor starting might be okay, but it's an awfully large risk. Might force us into a Landon Collins pick...which would be a bit of a reach at #9 at this point as he's been slipping down into the 12-18 spots.

Scherff or Shelton would be my choices in the draft......not going to get to the playoffs with the worst run defense in the NFL, like last year.

A big part of that, though, was the shitty outside contain, and that in turn is a bad reflection on our outside linebackers too.

Can't really say that Reese has fixed anything at this point in free agency, except we've got a kick returner so Beckham doesn't get put at risk.

Scherff or Shelton would be my choices in the draft......not going to get to the playoffs with the worst run defense in the NFL, like last year.

A big part of that, though, was the shitty outside contain, and that in turn is a bad reflection on our outside linebackers too.

Can't really say that Reese has fixed anything at this point in free agency, except we've got a kick returner so Beckham doesn't get put at risk.

CBs also take responsibility for outside contain. I really think/hope Spags can make this work.

I just want to take this time to tell the organization., coaches, media department, cleaning staff, cafeteria staff, THE FANS,& more than ANYTHING MY TEAMMATES that I love u all dearly. This was the hardest decision that I ever had to make in my life. It's never easy when u have so many emotions involved and u have sooo much love for a place. NY is the only place that I call home away from home. You all have been so great to me and honestly I love you all to death for it. You all have me so many priceless memories that will never ever be forgotten. Once a Giant always a Giant and I sincerely believe in that. Moving on is a part of life and it's a part of business. I had to do what was best for my family and I. I want to make my son proud of his father and to continue to do that I had to go forward with my plan! NY is tattooed on my chest so just know I will be a Giant and a New Yorker forever. Love u all. See you on the other side.

Rolle.

I'm not sold on Scherff as the best offensive lineman in this draft, which I think we need to get at #9 if we go there. I like Scherff, I think he has low bust potential, but I'm also not sure where his ceiling is. I think the best guy might be La'el Collins from LSU, who I think is going to be a phenomenal OT in the NFL.

I think Shelton might be the guy at #9, though. I like the idea of Shelton and Hankins teaming up for years to come, with Bromley rotating in.

I'm not sold on Scherff as the best offensive lineman in this draft, which I think we need to get at #9 if we go there. I like Scherff, I think he has low bust potential, but I'm also not sure where his ceiling is. I think the best guy might be La'el Collins from LSU, who I think is going to be a phenomenal OT in the NFL.

I think Shelton might be the guy at #9, though. I like the idea of Shelton and Hankins teaming up for years to come, with Bromley rotating in.

Re: the offensive line...some team...someone is going to take the best OT in the top 8. I don't know that Scherff will be the best, but I am fairly confident he's rated the best out of the available OTs in this draft. So we can debate bust potential all day, but I have to believe he'll be taken...and if not him, one of the other OTs, be it Collins or Peat. That said, I don't see a run on them in the top 10 like we've seen in years past...but I have to believe one will be selected in the top 8.

As for Shelton, I've seen too many mocks at this point having Chicago taking him to expect him to be available. Who do you have as your top 8 selections?

I think Winston and Mariota are going in the top 8, (if Tampa's smart they go Mariota, but they're not smart) then of course Leonard Williams. I have Dante Fowler Jr going in the top 8 as well. I have Kevin White in there, I think he's the top receiver in the draft. Vic Beasley, then I'm 50-50 regarding Cooper, if he goes in the top 8 or is there for us at #9. And then there's a guy I'm watching who could be the Giants' pick at #9 even, and that's Alvin Dupree. He seems to have the body type for what the Giants look for at DE, and looks like a powerful guy. I also think Andrus Peat could be the first lineman off the board, simply because he projects as a LT better than the other OL.

The players I feel are pretty certain to go in the top 8 are, in no particular order:

Mariota

Winston

L. Williams

Fowler

Beasley

White

After these 6, it's cloudier, to me... the next 3 players, including the Giants' pick, should come from a group of the following players:

Scherff

Peat

La'el Collins

Shelton

Gregory

Dupree

Trae Waynes (CB in high demand, and seems like he's the lone high end cover corner in this draft, which could push him into the top 8).

And then there's some sleepers that could sneak in, like Ereck Flowers, Shane Ray, or even Owagmabe Odighizuwa (that's a tough one to spell, and not even going to try to say it). Perhaps even Devante Parker or Shane Ray.

When you think about it, the perception is that the giants are in a downward spiral toward rebuilding, what top tier free agent is going to want to sign here? And it isn't a guarantee that Tom Coughlin or Jerry Reese will be here next year.

I'm looking at

Mariota

Winston

Williams

Shelton

Cooper or White

Fowler or Beasley

Gregory

Scherff or Peat or Collins

If two of the linemen go or if both WR go...we have a real shot at either Fowler or Beasley I'd think

I have to believe we're going to address the DL in the first pick, OL in the 2nd and Safety in the 3rd...

When you think about it, the perception is that the giants are in a downward spiral toward rebuilding, what top tier free agent is going to want to sign here? And it isn't a guarantee that Tom Coughlin or Jerry Reese will be here next year.

Hasn't been a guarantee the last 10 years either. Location and money, that is what brings the talent.

If Williams, Shelton, Gregory are all gone...you have to start questioning value...

Still have Beasley and Fowler (Granted they're LBs)... it's unlikely all of the 3 guys you mentioned will be off the board by the time we pick.