SportsWrath

Devin McCourty > Antrel Rolle

boohyah

We paid him to be an elite safety and he wasn't. It isn't a case of you don't know what you got till he's gone, I've been saying this for years he was average, at best above average. There were plenty of games where you wouldn't here his name called at all during the game.

It's where you place the value. Eli earns a lot of his value because he never misses games. Rolle didn't either. Reliability is valuable, whether folks want to admit it or not.

Nobody is arguing that his play was the best of the best. He was slightly above average. But slightly above average, that you know will be on the field every game, giving effort, leading younger guys...those intangibles make his pay worth it.

But, he's no longer a Giant and I hope he's the worst safety ever signed by the Bears.

It's where you place the value. Eli earns a lot of his value because he never misses games. Rolle didn't either. Reliability is valuable, whether folks want to admit it or not.

Nobody is arguing that his play was the best of the best. He was slightly above average. But slightly above average, that you know will be on the field every game, giving effort, leading younger guys...those intangibles make his pay worth it.

But, he's no longer a Giant and I hope he's the worst safety ever signed by the Bears.

Then there's no disagreement.. we (Boo and myself) both think he was an above average safety... but making elite safety money. And I don't think he was a leader on the field or in the locker room... he was just talkative. There were times he got caught out of position just like the guys he was supposed to be leading.

Then there's no disagreement.. we (Boo and myself) both think he was an above average safety... but making elite safety money. And I don't think he was a leader on the field or in the locker room... he was just talkative. There were times he got caught out of position just like the guys he was supposed to be leading.

The 'all-in' rallying cry has been attributed to Rolle, yet he's not a leader?

The 'all-in' rallying cry has been attributed to Rolle, yet he's not a leader?

When I think Leader, I think Strahan, AP, Armstead... Rolle was vocal but that's not always synonymous with leader.

When I think Leader, I think Strahan, AP, Armstead... Rolle was vocal but that's not always synonymous with leader.

Doesn't always, you're right. But in Rolle's case, it was true. Nas, you're off-base here. I know you never liked the signing because it was a lot of money, but Rolle lived up to that contract, he absolutely made a positive impact on the organization and that defense, both in his on-field play and leadership.

Doesn't always, you're right. But in Rolle's case, it was true. Nas, you're off-base here. I know you never liked the signing because it was a lot of money, but Rolle lived up to that contract, he absolutely made a positive impact on the organization and that defense, both in his on-field play and leadership.

I'm not discounting the impact and our disagreement is really how much impact when compared to the salary... his signing wasn't worst... I think he did very well for us.. just not well enough to justify the size of the contract. Looking at how much he signed with the Bears, I'm puzzled as to why we didn't try to match that offer.

I'm not discounting the impact and our disagreement is really how much impact when compared to the salary... his signing wasn't worst... I think he did very well for us.. just not well enough to justify the size of the contract. Looking at how much he signed with the Bears, I'm puzzled as to why we didn't try to match that offer.

Understood. I think the reasoning is better to let a player go a year to early rather than a year to late. Age catches up with us all.

Understood. I think the reasoning is better to let a player go a year to early rather than a year to late. Age catches up with us all.

You ain't lying... I never thought I'd pull a muscle walking to the kitchen lol.

Agreed.

"Creating", and I use the term loosely, a catch phrase is also not synonymous with being a leader. Matching your play with your talk is being a leader. Rolle didn't.

We paid him to be an elite safety and he wasn't. It isn't a case of you don't know what you got till he's gone, I've been saying this for years he was average, at best above average. There were plenty of games where you wouldn't here his name called at all during the game.

Actually he was paid what we needed to pay him to upgrade the position. When you talk about some average safeties remember who we have had the last ten years in consideration.