SportsWrath

Giants considering a run at defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh: sources

Mr. P

I am always wary of signing a 'show me the money' player, regardless of their talent. I'm sure if Prince, Eli, JPP, Cruz all restructure, we could fit Suh in...but we'd still be thin elsewhere. We still absolutely NEED a S and an OG, likely a LB and DE. Those are 4 positions that should outweigh a luxury DT.

I'm shocked we threw $80 million towards Hayenesworth...that is the only thing that gives this story legs.

it would've looked like a great signing at the time. i guess a truly dominant DT is something this franchise feels is worth trying to bring in regardless of current needs

Yep and signing Suh prevents Bromely from seeing the field. I don't see this happening.. besides Hankin is doing great as is.

LOL. No it doesn't. If you sign Suh that makes your whole team better. It would have a domino effect on the defensive side of the ball for sure. The linebackers would be better and our safety play would be better because you can't double team both Suh and JPP, it leaves too many 1 on 1 situations for the opposing team.

If you're honestly saying we shouldn't sign Suh because of Jay Bromley then I'm not sure what to tell you. I am very much in favor of this signing, it would make the Giants as a team alot better.

Go balls to the walls on this one, Reese!

LOL. No it doesn't. If you sign Suh that makes your whole team better. It would have a domino effect on the defensive side of the ball for sure. The linebackers would be better and our safety play would be better because you can't double team both Suh and JPP, it leaves too many 1 on 1 situations for the opposing team.

If you're honestly saying we shouldn't sign Suh because of Jay Bromley then I'm not sure what to tell you. I am very much in favor of this signing, it would make the Giants as a team alot better.

Go balls to the walls on this one, Reese!

Yeah Suh is an LT type player in that the offense has to plan around him. I honestly think we can go to the super bowl if suh is our only addition this off-season.

Yeah Suh is an LT type player in that the offense has to plan around him. I honestly think we can go to the super bowl if suh is our only addition this off-season.

I'm not totally against hte move but it just doesn't make financial sense... the most successful team in the league doesn't have superstars eating up a huge chunk of their cap... we already have Eli... if we add another (not to mention JPP).. how much does that leave for the other 50 players on the team? I'd much rather go after blue collar players like Ayers but of starting caliber... The fan in me says sigh him but the finances are going to be tough on this one.

I look at the finances this way... They have a whole staff to work that stuff out. If they want him, they can get him. They have the numbers guys to make it work and still put together a team. For example, JPP costs $14M this year, but nothing next year. If you don't re-work JPP's deal, you can still defer a lot of Suh's cap hit in 2016 and beyond. The real trick is getting Eli to lower his cap number in an extension to be more in line with his performance. Big brother's making $15M this year, maybe you can pay the mortgage on $12, mmmkay? Brady is only making $8. At some point, Eli has to make the decision that in order for the team to win, he needs to take a salary that still allows the Giants to add that one or two extra difference makers to get them to the level of Seattle and Green Bay.

I look at the finances this way... They have a whole staff to work that stuff out. If they want him, they can get him. They have the numbers guys to make it work and still put together a team. For example, JPP costs $14M this year, but nothing next year. If you don't re-work JPP's deal, you can still defer a lot of Suh's cap hit in 2016 and beyond. The real trick is getting Eli to lower his cap number in an extension to be more in line with his performance. Big brother's making $15M this year, maybe you can pay the mortgage on $12, mmmkay? Brady is only making $8. At some point, Eli has to make the decision that in order for the team to win, he needs to take a salary that still allows the Giants to add that one or two extra difference makers to get them to the level of Seattle and Green Bay.

Yep...in total agreement there.

It won't be cheap.

As much as I think Suh would be s huge addition, the offensive line is a greater concern and I don't trust Reese to find stud OLs in the draft....that money would be better spent in signing multiple players this year and next given the multiple positions of need.

It won't be cheap.

As much as I think Suh would be s huge addition, the offensive line is a greater concern and I don't trust Reese to find stud OLs in the draft....that money would be better spent in signing multiple players this year and next given the multiple positions of need.

Normally I'd say this is a sound line of reasoning... but last year, Reese signed multiple players and we actually ended up with a worse record.

At this point, I don't trust Reese for anything besides hitting on whomever the 1st-round pick is.

Normally I'd say this is a sound line of reasoning... but last year, Reese signed multiple players and we actually ended up with a worse record.

At this point, I don't trust Reese for anything besides hitting on whomever the 1st-round pick is.

Correct but it was basically injuries... it negated almost every signing.

Only reason this is out there is to drive up the price for the Redskins.

The Giants will not sign Suh.

I think it's to drive up the price for anyone... I too don't think the Giants will sign him. No sense of having a great DL but nothing else.. our LB and safety positions are in shambles... and that's on the defensive side alone.

Given Vince Wilfork is entering the FA picture...all things considered: salary, years, age, experience...does he become more valuable than Suh?

Nevermind, I read your question wrong.

Nevermind, I read your question wrong.

Yeah, Suh is getting the bigger payday, but if we're looking at bringing in a FA DT - does, or should, Wilfork coming into the picture cause the Giants to pursue him as opposed to Suh?

I'd like one of those two safeties and a OG first...before any luxury DT.

Yeah makes sense. I don't like any OG options and want to focus on oline through the draft. If they could they get Cameron at TE i'd be happy

Yeah makes sense. I don't like any OG options and want to focus on oline through the draft. If they could they get Cameron at TE i'd be happy

Cameron? Buyer beware... I think he's going to retire early from concussions. He's had several, if memory serves, and he can't seem to stay healthy. Kevin Boss situation there, I think.

I think that a FA OG and a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick would be the right investment to make on the offensive line this offseason. Make sure that you have a G/T guy and a C/G guy between the two. Call it done.