SportsWrath

Giants 2nd round pick is a great big fat person.

Sephiroth

He looks good to me--really like how he not only goes to the hole, but brings the blocker with him. The more bodies in the way, the less likely the RB will make significant positive yardage.

Don't really care if he becomes the best DT in the league--he just has to add an improvement over last year's line. I'd be more than happy if he gives us Fred Robbins' production...but I think he'll do better than that.

Fred Robbins was the most under rated player I ever remember. Let's hope this kid can play first before trying to fit Robbins shoes.

I agree with you there, T....very underappreciated Giant.

Bigblue, if that is the case, then Star should have been the 2nd rounder and Hankins the first rounder. Also, Frederick did go up against Hankins 1 on 1 on that play he got pancaked. Not even Reese is talking about Hankins in the light you are saying. He's saying things like, "holding the point of attack" and "clogging the middle". And Hankins is nearly universally loomed at as a run stopping DT only. If he was the things you are saying he is, then he would be an elite pass rushing DT, which he isn't. Have u even watched Star play? He's an absolute beast in every way. Then u watch Hankins and there is a clear drop off in terms of penetration and pass rushing ability.

Your saying a team, has never gotten a 1st rounder wrong, watch the draft profile of Hankins that BiC posted in the Hankins thread, it talks about how good he is at kniving threw the line.

Fred Robbins was the most under rated player I ever remember. Let's hope this kid can play first before trying to fit Robbins shoes.

I agree with you there, T....very underappreciated Giant.

I agree as well--which is why I said I'd be very happy IF Hankins played to that level.

Your saying a team, has never gotten a 1st rounder wrong, watch the draft profile of Hankins that BiC posted in the Hankins thread, it talks about how good he is at kniving threw the line.

Lotulelei rocked the Center back so fast off the ball that he did it before the QB even received the snap and caused a fumble, then recovered that fumble. That is explosion off the snap. Outside of you, I can't find one person or scout that thinks Hankins is better. Before the heart thing came out, Star was considered by most to be a top 3 pick. And with it, he was the 14th player selected. Nearly the entire NFL passed on Hankins until the Giants took him 35 picks after Star. Simply put, Hankins is not in the same tier as Star. I'm surprised anyone would debate this.

Also, if Hankins is that much better of a penetrator, why only 4tackles for loss and 1the sack. Star, 10 tfls and 5 sacks. Also 3 FF, and 4 passes defensed. Hankins numbers in those categories are a donut and a bagel.

Also, if Hankins is that much better of a penetrator, why only 4tackles for loss and 1the sack. Star, 10 tfls and 5 sacks. Also 3 FF, and 4 passes defensed. Hankins numbers in those categories are a donut and a bagel.

Yeah, 4Tfl is alarming. Also it seems his tackles come after the RB, reached the first down. Comparng him to Star is not fair though since we had no shot at Star. We did have a chance at Sly Williams, who I loved. This tape against Penn St has me concerned, right from the start he gets driven off the ball by a TE, he seems to be on the ground alot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3JAvM6U_aU&feature=youtube

Well, I agree we had no shot at Star. Just that it seems (and I maybe exaggerating this), that some are thinking we got some kind of steal with Hankins, like he is this dominant player that fell, that is just going to step in and take on double teams and penetrate. But he has a way to go to be that kind of player. I was using Star to compare him with to show what kind of player that looks like (the kind that will dominate).

What I won't say is that we got a bad player in Hankins. I don't know. He could be a good player, he could, over time, end up being a very good to great player. But I don't think we can say he will be a very good player early, or even a starter early, unless injuries force that. He's a guy that still needs to develop his body in building more strength, and work on his technique.

I think Hankins is an example of why I'm so lukewarm on this draft. There are no players that will come in and be a big star in a relatively short amount of time (by year 2), from what I see. I think we got that in other first round picks with Hakeem Nicks, we are seeing that happen with David Wilson, I think Prince Amukamara is right about there, for sure JPP, and of course Eli Manning. What we got are hopefully guys that will be solid contributors. And in every draft, if you kind find those kinds of players throughout the draft, you've done your job and have helped your team. But I want the special player that turns into an All Pro. And I think we had a chance to get a guy like that in Datone Jones (who I think is going to be a dominant player), but we passed to fix the RT spot, which is admittedly, a huge problem for this team. But Pugh better fix it... because is he doesn't, it will be a disaster. There is a lot of talk about his short arms and him being better suited for Guard. I hope that's not true. If he turns out to be a terrific guard, then fine. But we could've gotten a terrific guard later.

So I hope that Pugh, Hankins, and Damontre Moore all prove to be successful, good players for us. I think Moore has the most potential of the three, being only 20 years old with more time to develop.

Well, I agree we had no shot at Star. Just that it seems (and I maybe exaggerating this), that some are thinking we got some kind of steal with Hankins, like he is this dominant player that fell, that is just going to step in and take on double teams and penetrate. But he has a way to go to be that kind of player. I was using Star to compare him with to show what kind of player that looks like (the kind that will dominate).

What I won't say is that we got a bad player in Hankins. I don't know. He could be a good player, he could, over time, end up being a very good to great player. But I don't think we can say he will be a very good player early, or even a starter early, unless injuries force that. He's a guy that still needs to develop his body in building more strength, and work on his technique.

I think Hankins is an example of why I'm so lukewarm on this draft. There are no players that will come in and be a big star in a relatively short amount of time (by year 2), from what I see. I think we got that in other first round picks with Hakeem Nicks, we are seeing that happen with David Wilson, I think Prince Amukamara is right about there, for sure JPP, and of course Eli Manning. What we got are hopefully guys that will be solid contributors. And in every draft, if you kind find those kinds of players throughout the draft, you've done your job and have helped your team. But I want the special player that turns into an All Pro. And I think we had a chance to get a guy like that in Datone Jones (who I think is going to be a dominant player), but we passed to fix the RT spot, which is admittedly, a huge problem for this team. But Pugh better fix it... because is he doesn't, it will be a disaster. There is a lot of talk about his short arms and him being better suited for Guard. I hope that's not true. If he turns out to be a terrific guard, then fine. But we could've gotten a terrific guard later.

So I hope that Pugh, Hankins, and Damontre Moore all prove to be successful, good players for us. I think Moore has the most potential of the three, being only 20 years old with more time to develop.

I'm very high on our first 5 picks Nassib > Carr, Pugh > Diehl, Hankin is not an immediate replacement for KJ but will be once he's polished, Moore > Osi who isn't even here anymore and Tuck.. well I don't really have much hope he'd somehow come back to form... reminds me of Shockey when we kept holding on the Rookie who was a beast... And I'm very high on that safety we got given he's speed and size.

Yeah, I am hearing he won't be a plug and play RT, and most likely move to LG next year when Boothe goes, thought we had that in Mosley. We could of gotten that with numerous prospects in later rounds, i.e Winters, Armstead could of been a better RT option. Not sure about Moore and if we can fix him, we didn't with Austin. Seems like we did get alot of situational players and a year from now, we will have the same exact needs, along with needs we didn't address, like CB/LB. I don't know, I could be wrong.

Yeah, I am hearing he won't be a plug and play RT, and most likely move to LG next year when Boothe goes, thought we had that in Mosley. We could of gotten that with numerous prospects in later rounds, i.e Winters, Armstead could of been a better RT option. Not sure about Moore and if we can fix him, we didn't with Austin. Seems like we did get alot of situational players and a year from now, we will have the same exact needs, along with needs we didn't address, like CB/LB. I don't know, I could be wrong.

I see Pugh as a direct replacement to Diehl. I think Brewer maybe the one replacing Boothe or even Snee for that matter.

• 1 year later...