SportsWrath

Giants 2nd round pick is a great big fat person.

Sephiroth

Paul Schwartz of the New York Post called one of Johnathan Hankins' college coaches to get the scoop on the New York Giants' second-round pick. And what Ohio State defensive coordinator Luke Fickell told Paul was to expect ... well, a fat guy:

“He’s not going to have veins in his arms or look like somebody where you’re going to go ‘Oh [expletive],'" Fickell said. “He’s going to have a gigantic smile on his face, he’s going to be happy-go-lucky but his body is not going to impress everybody. It’s not going to be ‘Oh [expletive], there’s
.’ Not going to see the veins bursting out. Like abs, everybody’s got ’em, some are just covered up. His are covered up.’’

What we have here is a roly-poly rookie known as “Big Hank’’ by everyone at Ohio State, a jumbo-sized defensive tackle the Giants believe can consume opposing running games with his girth. When Marc Ross, the Giants’ director of college scouting, described Hankins as a “wide-body’’ he spread his arms out to his sides to indicate a rather large bottom. Based on ability, plenty of scouts had Hankins as a first-round talent. But that body, oh, that body.

“That’s one of those reasons he ends up where he is, there are some negative things,’’ said Fickell, who served as Ohio State’s interim head coach in 2011 after Jim Tressel was suspended and eventually resigned. “He looks fat. He looks chubby. Yeah, he’s not a great-bodied guy.’’

Now, obviously, this isn't any kind of alarm bell. Hankins was a very productive player at Ohio State. Fickell raves in the same story about his balance, and says concerns about his stamina are misguided. And as a run-stuffing defensive tackle, Hankins' primary job is to be in the way, so being really big is probably something of an asset. I just thought this was kind of a funny little note on a guy about whom you'll surely be hearing much more in the coming weeks and months.

Guaranteed this guy gives us 90% of what Chris Canty did for 1/6th the price.

"He’s not going to have veins in his arms or look like somebody where you’re going to go ‘Oh [expletive],'" Fickell said. “He’s going to have a gigantic smile on his face, he’s going to be happy-go-lucky but his body is not going to impress everybody."

The same can be said for guys like Wilfork, Ngata, and Suh.

Kevin Boothe doesn't exactly have the body of an Adonis. But he's quite a player!

I don't care if a player doesn't have a body that earns him a magazine cover picture on muscle man...just as long as he does the job he's asked to do and gets us back in the playoffs.

i love our 2nd and 3rd round picks. i think these guys are gonna help a lot

I'm excited about all our picks, but the one I think I'm most excited about is our 5th rounder Cooper Taylor. I think he's going to really shake things up in the backfield.

I'm excited about all our picks, but the one I think I'm most excited about is our 5th rounder Cooper Taylor. I think he's going to really shake things up in the backfield.

Me too... a 6 4" safety who's faster than most WRs. And Moore is just a kid... 20 years old... he has the potential to outplay JPP.

yeah im excited about him fitting into our scheme too. it'd be nice if he made rolle and his 9 mil expendable next year or at least gave us leverage to get a paycut there

yeah im excited about him fitting into our scheme too. it'd be nice if he made rolle and his 9 mil expendable next year or at least gave us leverage to get a paycut there

Being a finance guy I can almost assure that's the thinking behind it and I don't think Rolle is here beyond 2013... unless he takes a pay cut.

He gets pancaked twice in this video. Once by Travis Frederick (Cowboys pick) around 2:09. Then at the goalline at 3:10. He also didn't seem to be in anywhere close to 100% of the reps on this game, don't know if that is normal without some more study.

When I look at him, I don't see Haloti Ngata, though. Look at film of Star Lotulelei and then put on film of Hankins. Not getting negative, but Star... that is a guy that is going to dominate up front like a Wilfork or Ngata. Not Hankins. Hankins, to me, has to get a great deal stronger, and work on his technique, playing better with his hands. I'm sure the Giants will work on that with him. He does make a couple of good penetration plays versus the run.

Being a finance guy I can almost assure that's the thinking behind it and I don't think Rolle is here beyond 2013... unless he takes a pay cut.

Rolle stayed on this team for several reasons.

1. KP's injury

2. He was able to play corner in a pinch, and both safety spots

3. We played a 3 safety look a lot...we needed guys, especially considering #1

4. Cutting him would've likely cost the same, if not more, again the cap than keeping him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HH3Nj7zcUlg

He gets pancaked twice in this video. Once by Travis Frederick (Cowboys pick) around 2:09. Then at the goalline at 3:10. He also didn't seem to be in anywhere close to 100% of the reps on this game, don't know if that is normal without some more study.

When I look at him, I don't see Haloti Ngata, though. Look at film of Star Lotulelei and then put on film of Hankins. Not getting negative, but Star... that is a guy that is going to dominate up front like a Wilfork or Ngata. Not Hankins. Hankins, to me, has to get a great deal stronger, and work on his technique, playing better with his hands. I'm sure the Giants will work on that with him. He does make a couple of good penetration plays versus the run.

I thought he looked pretty good in that video. Even the pancakes seemed to be more that his legs were tied up in a pile than that he was getting blown off the ball.

Overall I thought he showed pretty good balance and penetration.

I thought he looked pretty good in that video. Even the pancakes seemed to be more that his legs were tied up in a pile than that he was getting blown off the ball.

Overall I thought he showed pretty good balance and penetration.

He got pushed back into that pile on the first one, and the second one he just got dominated off the snap. Just trying to do an honest evaluation here. Most of the time, he stalemates the guy across from him. But compare that video with this one...

That is the kind of dominant DT you can compare to the NFL elites. I just think when you look at where Hankins is right now, he has a lot farther to go to get to be a top DT in the NFL. I kind of compare him to long-time DT Casey Hampton with the Steelers, and he might top out at that. Nothing wrong with that. But I think expectations for Hankins are sky high right now and I'm not sure those are fair expectations for him. A solid starter maybe, hopefully can help that run defense and if he can get the respect to command some doubles, it's a win. That's what I'll be looking for him, if the other team throws a lot of doubles at him like they will do with a player like Wilfork. Not comparing Wilfork and Hankins, btw. But if all he does is stalemate a single man across from him, then we didn't improve with this pick.

I can see Hankin with a few coaching tips outplaying Star Lo very soon. Both are the same size with Hankin one inch shorter and a few lbs heavier making him the better fit for a DT. Besides Star was a 1st round pick who was picked even before the Giants, no?

I can see Hankin with a few coaching tips outplaying Star Lo very soon. Both are the same size with Hankin one inch shorter and a few lbs heavier making him the better fit for a DT. Besides Star was a 1st round pick who was picked even before the Giants, no?

Star was a first round pick, yes... I wasn't comparing the two to say the Giants should have drafted them, they didn't have the opportunity to unless they traded up. I mentioned Star because some are talking about Hankins becoming or having an impact on the game like Suh, Ngata, or Wilfork. I think that is a very unfair expectation for Hankins. For a player like Star, it's not. And Nas, with much respect, and I know you know this, but it's so much more than the height/weight ratio. Star carries his weight much more athletically. Star has much more explosion, more agility, and is just an all-around dominant DT, that is why he was picked with the 14th pick in the first round, right after Sheldon Richardson, 2nd DT off the board.

I don't see Hankins outplaying Star early or in the long term. Star has All-Pro potential. For Hankins, it would be a major surprise if he reached that level. Right now, you can weigh the potential with him and the hope will be he will become the player that Linval Joseph is.

I think you are severely underrating Star Lotulelei. He moves like an athletic DE playing DT. With Hankins, he moves like a DT playing DT, lol.

Star was a first round pick, yes... I wasn't comparing the two to say the Giants should have drafted them, they didn't have the opportunity to unless they traded up. I mentioned Star because some are talking about Hankins becoming or having an impact on the game like Suh, Ngata, or Wilfork. I think that is a very unfair expectation for Hankins. For a player like Star, it's not. And Nas, with much respect, and I know you know this, but it's so much more than the height/weight ratio. Star carries his weight much more athletically. Star has much more explosion, more agility, and is just an all-around dominant DT, that is why he was picked with the 14th pick in the first round, right after Sheldon Richardson, 2nd DT off the board.

I don't see Hankins outplaying Star early or in the long term. Star has All-Pro potential. For Hankins, it would be a major surprise if he reached that level. Right now, you can weigh the potential with him and the hope will be he will become the player that Linval Joseph is.

I think you are severely underrating Star Lotulelei. He moves like an athletic DE playing DT. With Hankins, he moves like a DT playing DT, lol.

What I'm saying is both guys are very very young... they've yet to grow a few more pounds and have yet to be coached. I'd contend Hankin has a HUGE upside.

I see the exact opposite, Hankins is by far, the more explosive of the two, and moves much better laterally. The plays, where he is getting blown off the line are against two guys, they really don't let Frederick go one one with him. Plus I have no idea where the stamina issues stem from, he is a 320 pound monster, getting doubled most of the game, he played pretty much every snap, of course he would be worn out some. I see Star having more stamina issues.

What I'm saying is both guys are very very young... they've yet to grow a few more pounds and have yet to be coached. I'd contend Hankin has a HUGE upside.

It's actually his backside that is huge.

I see the exact opposite, Hankins is by far, the more explosive of the two, and moves much better laterally. The plays, where he is getting blown off the line are against two guys, they really don't let Frederick go one one with him. Plus I have no idea where the stamina issues stem from, he is a 320 pound monster, getting doubled most of the game, he played pretty much every snap, of course he would be worn out some. I see Star having more stamina issues.

Bigblue, if that is the case, then Star should have been the 2nd rounder and Hankins the first rounder. Also, Frederick did go up against Hankins 1 on 1 on that play he got pancaked. Not even Reese is talking about Hankins in the light you are saying. He's saying things like, "holding the point of attack" and "clogging the middle". And Hankins is nearly universally loomed at as a run stopping DT only. If he was the things you are saying he is, then he would be an elite pass rushing DT, which he isn't. Have u even watched Star play? He's an absolute beast in every way. Then u watch Hankins and there is a clear drop off in terms of penetration and pass rushing ability.

Plus I have no idea where the stamina issues stem from, he is a 320 pound monster, getting doubled most of the game, he played pretty much every snap, of course he would be worn out some. I see Star having more stamina issues.

Yeah, I agree. The Giants will keep him fresh and have a nice rotation with Joseph, Jenkins, Hankins, and I guess Patterson or Kuhn right now. I have no idea where Austin fits in. I'm still a little disappointed about the linebacker situation but the Giants at least recognize the importance of restoring our integrity against the run with this pick. I like it.