SportsWrath

A look at JR final draft.

BlueInCanada

As we look forward to the upcoming draft and the potential that the Giants have at holding such high value picks, lets look back on JRs final draft as a Giant GM, as those players should be around the longest from the last of his era.

Picks from 2017 NFL Draft

(* = Junior; ** = Sophomore; *** = Freshman) 1 23 Evan Engram TE Mississippi 6' 3" 227 2 55 Dalvin Tomlinson DT Alabama 6' 4" 320 3 87 Davis Webb QB Cal 6' 3" 225 4 140 Wayne Gallman* RB Clemson 6' 1" 205 5 167 Avery Moss DE Youngstown State 6' 3" 265 6 200 Adam Bisnowaty OT Pitt 6' 6" 300

Engram - Obviously a star in the making, a very good player who has a high ceiling, all it's gonna take is for Shurmur to realize his potential and scheme more around him. Surprisingly better blocker than what people wanted you to believe coming out of college. Very solid first round grab and what you expect to find there at pick #23.

Tomlinson - Probably the best value and best player grabbed by JR in the draft, it's almost like he knew he was gonna be fired and the regime change was going to a 3-4. Tomlinson is gonna have a Vince Wilfork type of career, not gonna have the most flashy stats as a nose tackle, but will end up making the pro bowl a bunch of times and probably be remembered as one of the best during his time. Super happy about this pick.

Webb - What more is there to say? He's either fodder or Shurmur likes him, probably the first one.

Gallman - Currently the best RB on the team (Come on Barkley!) a bit of a surprise for me, he didnt seem like anything special but the kid does what a lot of RBs fail to do, just put your fucking head down and run, hope he stays around for a long time and doesnt regress this coming year.

Moss - This kid is going to surprise some people the next few years, he's a better 3-4 LB than a 4-3 DE, and with the switch with Bettcher as DC, expect him to get more playing time in rotation. Might not ever become a solid 16 game starter, but he's so far a decent special teams player who will rotate in for a fresh set of legs.

Bisnowaty - Don't know why JR took a flyer on this guy, he's basically a walking WSIB claim, don't think he's ever been healthy since highschool from what I read. Will stick around, but probably just fodder at some point.

So of the six picks, I would say JR was able to find atleast three starters and contributers in Engram, Tomlinson and Gallman, with Moss having a good chance at becoming a solid player all around.

Bisnowaty is just your classic late round flyer type of pick so who knows, and Webb is at the mercy of Shurmur and Shula, hope the kid brings some extra knee pads to camp.

Overall if JR had more drafts like this he would still be a GM.

Still way too early to tell. That 2014 draft looked awesome and there's one guy left on the team from it, and 2015 looked great too but Collins is the only good player from that one.

The same could be said for any GM and any draft.

Very rarely do you walk out of a draft with more than one or two players remaining after the first four or five years.

I'm just looking at what he left behind with his final draft.

Lots of building blocks for the team.

the more I look back over Reese's tenure, the more I think that he's a good talent evaluator, but he made the mistake of putting too many personality-deficient players on the same team.

its not about having the most talented 53 players, its about having the right 53 players. I recall Bill Walsh had some interesting comments on how to build a team.... its all about finding that balance between talent and cohesion.

The fucking disrespect Webb is getting is maddening.

What has he done to earn anything in terms of respect?

He's a third round QB drafted by the previous regime of coaches/GM/FO staff.

Now there's no denying that the current FO is going to look at the kid, they would be silly not too, but it's not like this current team owes anything to Webb if they feel there is a better option (which there is) in front of them.

What has he done to earn anything in terms of respect?

He's a third round QB drafted by the previous regime of coaches/GM/FO staff.

Now there's no denying that the current FO is going to look at the kid, they would be silly not too, but it's not like this current team owes anything to Webb if they feel there is a better option (which there is) in front of them.

He was drafted in the 3rd round... not too many people can say that.

Right so we agree, he was passed over by teams multiple times.

How many QBs do you think are drafted every year? lol

There were 10 QB's drafted last year... 4 before Webb. Not sure what that has to do with much, fact is he is a 3rd round pick who was not expected to see the field last season.... that is what happened. The only people who have seen anything from him are the coaches and teammates.

I think Gallman could be a 250+, 1,000 yard rusher, and decent receiver if we gave him a line and the chance. Though, as I said in another thread, if the browns take Darnold at #1, my preference as of late would be to pick Barkley #2. The two would be a great tandem.

I also think Gallman, despite his relatively smaller size, is a tougher RB than Barkley.

There were 10 QB's drafted last year... 4 before Webb. Not sure what that has to do with much, fact is he is a 3rd round pick who was not expected to see the field last season.... that is what happened. The only people who have seen anything from him are the coaches and teammates.

There is a ton of college tape and his stats speak for themselves.

Yea so was Russell Wilson... :TU:

He was what the second pick in the second round?

Far from a guy who was projected to go in the third day and was only reduced from a free fall by MacAttack lol.

I'm sorry Nas, Wilson was a first round graded QB, Webb wasn't even on teams radars.

He was what the second pick in the second round?

Far from a guy who was projected to go in the third day and was only reduced from a free fall by MacAttack lol.

I'm sorry Nas, Wilson was a first round graded QB, Webb wasn't even on teams radars.

"On April 27, 2012, Wilson was selected by the Seattle Seahawks in the third round (75th pick overall) of the draft."

It's enough for me that Webb was on my radar... I happened to think very highly of him and want him to get his chance in the spotlight... he's done everything right and has shown tremendous discipline and work ethic. I'm on team Webb.

"On April 27, 2012, Wilson was selected by the Seattle Seahawks in the third round (75th pick overall) of the draft."

It's enough for me that Webb was on my radar... I happened to think very highly of him and want him to get his chance in the spotlight... he's done everything right and has shown tremendous discipline and work ethic. I'm on team Webb.

I have no problem with wanting to be team Webb.

I just don't want the Giants to think they are set at QB with Eli and Webb, when a better and more NFL ready prospect is going to be looking at them in the face during the draft.

I fully support the idea of drafting a QB every year regardless of round because you never know what might develop.

If anything I'm team Barkley or Chubb, grab either of those guys.

I have no problem with wanting to be team Webb.

I just don't want the Giants to think they are set at QB with Eli and Webb, when a better and more NFL ready prospect is going to be looking at them in the face during the draft.

I fully support the idea of drafting a QB every year regardless of round because you never know what might develop.

If anything I'm team Barkley or Chubb, grab either of those guys.

So given we have Eli and Webb, why not draft someone who will contribute now... and give the kid a chance to show if he's what I think he is or what everyone else on this board think he is...

Now with respect to the draft, do we go with Barkley, Nelson, or Chubb... I have no idea... and it looks like the first 3 picks will be QBs (assuming we trade down to at least 4). I think our D can use a ferocious DE like Chubb so I'm leaning towards him but honestly you can make the argument for any of the 3.... What makes me lean a bit more towards Chubb is that we can land some really good OLs and RB in the latter rounds whereas DE I haven't heard of anyone outside of Chubb.

So given we have Eli and Webb, why not draft someone who will contribute now... and give the kid a chance to show if he's what I think he is or what everyone else on this board think he is...

Now with respect to the draft, do we go with Barkley, Nelson, or Chubb... I have no idea... and it looks like the first 3 picks will be QBs (assuming we trade down to at least 4). I think our D can use a ferocious DE like Chubb so I'm leaning towards him but honestly you can make the argument for any of the 3.... What makes me lean a bit more towards Chubb is that we can land some really good OLs and RB in the latter rounds whereas DE I haven't heard of anyone outside of Chubb.

I'm not interested in Chubb but he is the entire draft class when it comes to defensive ends. Now if we draft Chubb the first thing we have to do is teach him how to play LB and it will work better this time unlike the last time.

I'd rather just get the RB. :D

Because that's not how the NFL works, if that was the case why draft Webb at all in the first place? He's just more than likely gonna sit on the bench for four years and get released, never contributing anything.

We have Eli who is probably playing his last season as a Giant, and Webb.

Why not draft a guy like Darnold so him and Webb could fight it out so see who the better player is? If you're so high on Webb then he will simply win, or he will lose out to the more NFL ready caliber player like Darnold is, giving the Giants a better chance at winning more games down the road.

Going by your words "This draft is deep with RB and OL" we could easily get player who will make an impact in the second and third rounds.

Or we could just roll into future years with no backup plan to Eli and see how well it works out, I think the Browns have done that quite a few years in a row.

Because that's not how the NFL works, if that was the case why draft Webb at all in the first place? He's just more than likely gonna sit on the bench for four years and get released, never contributing anything.

We have Eli who is probably playing his last season as a Giant, and Webb.

Why not draft a guy like Darnold so him and Webb could fight it out so see who the better player is? If you're so high on Webb then he will simply win, or he will lose out to the more NFL ready caliber player like Darnold is, giving the Giants a better chance at winning more games down the road.

Going by your words "This draft is deep with RB and OL" we could easily get player who will make an impact in the second and third rounds.

Or we could just roll into future years with no backup plan to Eli and see how well it works out, I think the Browns have done that quite a few years in a row.

Well the previous coaching and GM did have a plan to replace Eli, and that was Webb, probably one year from now. So if you draft a QB at #2 you are just replacing the future QB in most likely the same time frame. What you cannot have happen is that Webb out competes the kid you draft this year, so there is no way they let that happen.