SportsWrath

Top few picks

Virginia Giant

Giants wont draft a QB this year I think. Its Barkley at 2, trade down with Denver for Nelson and other picks and maybe. If not Barkley, then try and grab Guice in the early 2nd - hey he might be another Kamara or Hunt for all you know. But landing either Barkley or Nelson is an absolute MUST. If we fuck this one up - well shit.....

If you don't trade someone (like Odell or swapping picks) for another 1st next year then you more or less have to take a QB this year. The top-flight QBs are all gone in the first five picks and if you don't have a way to trade up into the top-5 next year then you're in "QB hell" as Gettleman likes to say.

This draft is deep at RB and interior lineman. Yes, those two players would be nice, but Hernandez and Chubb give you 85% of what those other guys do... I'd be ok with that if we land our franchise QB that'll lead the team for the next decade.

If you don't trade someone (like Odell or swapping picks) for another 1st next year then you more or less have to take a QB this year. The top-flight QBs are all gone in the first five picks and if you don't have a way to trade up into the top-5 next year then you're in "QB hell" as Gettleman likes to say.

This draft is deep at RB and interior lineman. Yes, those two players would be nice, but Hernandez and Chubb give you 85% of what those other guys do... I'd be ok with that if we land our franchise QB that'll lead the team for the next decade.

So do you see the franchise QB in this draft?

Well theres five qbs. Even if the class as a whole ends up being a bust like 1999, odds are theres a McNabb among them. I do think if they arent in love with anyone then they should pass. This pick is too valuable and costs too much the previous season to get wrong

I agree with what you are saying Seph - but the QBs in this class are far from a sure shot -infact its actually quite weak. Getting a Barkley or a Nelson extends Eli's play and puts him in a situation where he can actually play better. And seeing how this season goes -draft one next year. Dont pass on the chance of Barkley or Nelson who seem like a once in a decade type talent at their position.

So do you see the franchise QB in this draft?

I'm not paid to do so but I bet there's one there. If you held a gun to my head I'd say Darnold or Rosen, the latter only if we're sure he has his head on straight. I think Mayfield is going to self-destruct, and Allen has bust written all over him... the typical "fall in love with his measurables" even though he hasn't really produced on the field.

Goff was supposed to be the only sure thing two years ago but Wentz looks pretty darn good, and last year was supposed to be a historically weak QB class but Mahomes and Watson both looked like they can be NFL starters in the limited time they played. The jury is still out for sure, but of the top four QBs in this draft there's no reason to think that at least one can't give us Eli-type play (perhaps minus the postseason heroics).

Lets not forget too that there's no guarantee that Barkley, Chubb, or Nelson are sure things either.

You've got maybe a 20% chance that a QB from this year's class will be a Pro Bowl caliber player, capable of winning road playoff games and taking you to the Super Bowl. Looks more like an 80% chance that Nelson will be a Pro Bowl anchor on the line for the next decade. I put Barkley's Pro Bowl probability a little lower - 70% - because RBs can be tricky (see: Trent Richardson) and are more vulnerable to injury.

I just can't use the #2 overall pick on a 1 in 5 roll of the dice. And I don't care what position he plays, I'm good with the 80% guy at that spot. IF you can trade down and still get Nelson, great but I wouldn't get too cute and end up losing him. There are two blue chips here, You gotta come away with one of them!

You've got maybe a 20% chance that a QB from this year's class will be a Pro Bowl caliber player, capable of winning road playoff games and taking you to the Super Bowl. Looks more like an 80% chance that Nelson will be a Pro Bowl anchor on the line for the next decade. I put Barkley's Pro Bowl probability a little lower - 70% - because RBs can be tricky (see: Trent Richardson) and are more vulnerable to injury.

I just can't use the #2 overall pick on a 1 in 5 roll of the dice. And I don't care what position he plays, I'm good with the 80% guy at that spot. IF you can trade down and still get Nelson, great but I wouldn't get too cute and end up losing him. There are two blue chips here, You gotta come away with one of them!

I am on board with Nelson even with the 2nd pick.... it would be great to trade down but I don't think any team will bite...

I wouldn't be unhappy with Nelson or Barkley, but Eli has maybe three years left, I'd argue probably only one. He's never been the most accurate QB, so what's going to happen when he loses some zip on his passes? We need to start thinking about the future now. Dallas has an unbelievable guard and running back but I think they'd trade them both for Aaron Rodgers with no regrets whatsoever.

If the future QB is there and the GM and coaches believe in him, you take him. If the coaches have faith in Webb then you let the two of them duke it out and have the wonderful problem of deciding which high-talent QB you want to start, or "deal with" having a starting-caliber backup. It worked out pretty well for the Eagles last year.

I think if the Giants stay put it'll be really telling... at 2, we're getting a QB. If they trade down, we'll take one of the other two guys. Even with Barkley or Nelson though I don't think this team is a playoff team next year.

I wouldn't be unhappy with Nelson or Barkley, but Eli has maybe three years left, I'd argue probably only one. He's never been the most accurate QB, so what's going to happen when he loses some zip on his passes? We need to start thinking about the future now. Dallas has an unbelievable guard and running back but I think they'd trade them both for Aaron Rodgers with no regrets whatsoever.

If the future QB is there and the GM and coaches believe in him, you take him. If the coaches have faith in Webb then you let the two of them duke it out and have the wonderful problem of deciding which high-talent QB you want to start, or "deal with" having a starting-caliber backup. It worked out pretty well for the Eagles last year.

I think if the Giants stay put it'll be really telling... at 2, we're getting a QB. If they trade down, we'll take one of the other two guys. Even with Barkley or Nelson though I don't think this team is a playoff team next year.

The problem is there's no Aaron Rodgers in this QB class... the only one I think is NFL ready is Darnold and I don't think he's a better prospect than the young man we already have on the roster....

The problem is there's no Aaron Rodgers in this QB class... the only one I think is NFL ready is Darnold and I don't think he's a better prospect than the young man we already have on the roster....

Nobody thought much of Aaron Rodgers when he was in the draft, dropped down to #24. So are people thinking or following some rigid set of rules and stats?

Nobody thought much of Aaron Rodgers when he was in the draft, dropped down to #24. So are people thinking or following some rigid set of rules and stats?

That happens... we have a QB for the next year or two or three... and we have a young prospect which means a QB isn't our biggest need... then we know our biggest headache has been the OL... I'm resigned to the fact that the Giants will not find a trading partner to trade down and still be withing striking distance of Nelson (or Barkley as plan B)... which is why I think we pick Nelson and 2 and either Will Hernandez or Isaiah Wynn in the 2nd... This combination almost guarantees a solid OL for years to come...

That happens... we have a QB for the next year or two or three... and we have a young prospect which means a QB isn't our biggest need... then we know our biggest headache has been the OL... I'm resigned to the fact that the Giants will not find a trading partner to trade down and still be withing striking distance of Nelson (or Barkley as plan B)... which is why I think we pick Nelson and 2 and either Will Hernandez or Isaiah Wynn in the 2nd... This combination almost guarantees a solid OL for years to come...

Oh I don't think it is a lack of a trade partner, Giants have done the smart thing by keep that option open instead of jumping on the first opportunity. Teams are a lot more desperate when that clock starts ticking. Now I have resigned myself to the Giants getting a QB because this opportunity might not come around again before Eli Manning retires.

If Davis is as good as you think he is, think of the possibilities here.

I think its already happened. BUt to answer your question, the safeties will smell blood and undercut all the routes. He'll become Chad Pennington.

Darnold, Barkley, and Nelson are the safest top 5 picks in my assessment, but Darnold obviously comes with the caveat that he very likely doesn't help the Giants on any potential championship run this year, while Barkley and Nelson are obvious early starters/contributors and would contribute on any potential run.

At the same time "any potential championship run" is a real reach in my opinion for this giants team, which is why I prefer Darnold over Barkley at #2, if I had to choose between the two. I just don't see a championship next year and we have to plan for the post-Eli era.

Oh I don't think it is a lack of a trade partner, Giants have done the smart thing by keep that option open instead of jumping on the first opportunity. Teams are a lot more desperate when that clock starts ticking. Now I have resigned myself to the Giants getting a QB because this opportunity might not come around again before Eli Manning retires.

If Davis is as good as you think he is, think of the possibilities here.

I've liked everything I've read and saw from Davis.. it's a damn shame Eli got benched for fucking Geno....

Now with respect to the trading partners, we can only afford to move as far down as Tamp Bay...and I don't see them or any of the teams ahead of them needing to move up... Denver will be a happy camper drafting Nelson if we don't draft him...

Darnold, Barkley, and Nelson are the safest top 5 picks in my assessment, but Darnold obviously comes with the caveat that he very likely doesn't help the Giants on any potential championship run this year, while Barkley and Nelson are obvious early starters/contributors and would contribute on any potential run.

At the same time "any potential championship run" is a real reach in my opinion for this giants team, which is why I prefer Darnold over Barkley at #2, if I had to choose between the two. I just don't see a championship next year and we have to plan for the post-Eli era.

I could count on one hand the number of people who saw the Giants winning a superbowl in 2007 and 2011.

I could count on one hand the number of people who saw the Giants winning a superbowl in 2007 and 2011.

They were a playoff caliber team, an up and coming team that went 8-8 and 10-6 respectively then, not 3-13 now.

2018 is more like 2004, where we were coming off a disastrous year and drafted in the top 5. How many people had us winning the super bowl in 2004?