7 members have voted

1. 1. Which One Stinks on Ice the most?

• Jose (won't take a walk) Reyes
    • David (Strikeout with RISP) Wright
    • Mike (One Pitch) Pelfrey
    • Carlos ($100 Mil Arthritic Knee) Beltran
    • Jason (Can't Escape Spring without Injury) Bay
    • Other

My vote is the face of the franchise, and perennial #3 hitter David Wright, who consistently chokes in RBI situations. He's the epitome of what Cole Hamels was talking about a couple of years ago, when he called the Mets "choke job artists". The writing is on the wall, move this guy down to #6 hole, maybe with less pressure he'll drive in a run from second base.

I only included Reyes because a lot of Met fans are down on him. To an extent, rightfully so. He has been hurt a bunch and he has big holes in his game, mainly his inability or desire to take a walk. He also is prone to the occasional brain fart. But he frequently hits the ball hard, gets a lot of hits, steals a lot of bases (when healthy), and he is a superb shortstop, really on an elite level defensively.

I like Reyes and I want him to stay. As long as he can keep his OBP on the north side of .350, I think he's a big asset, because he can create a run without the benefit of someone getting a hit behind him.

As for Wright, check his splits with runners on the last couple of seasons. Particularly number of K's and also in 2 out situations. Their is no question in my mind that he, at minimum, needs to be moved down in the order to 6 or even 7, I'm not joking. He simply lets the mental aspect of hitting get to him in those situations. That's not something any good team wants in their #3 hitter. Beltran should probably hit third out of the remaining candidates, maybe Bay when he comes back. But Wright is damaged goods psychologically, I think.

I would say that Beltran is the only one on this list who does not suck the most. He's been an ok Met. Pelfry has great stuff but just cannot put it together. I cannot comment on Bay just a bad signing. Reyes has been okay also. Kind of furstrating at his hacking and infield pop-ups but his defense has been pretty good. I think a lot of Mets fans are getting tired of Wright. I fully supported him for many years but I think it might be time to trade him away while his value is highest.

I would say that Beltran is the only one on this list who does not suck the most. He's been an ok Met. Pelfry has great stuff but just cannot put it together. I cannot comment on Bay just a bad signing. Reyes has been okay also. Kind of furstrating at his hacking and infield pop-ups but his defense has been pretty good. I think a lot of Mets fans are getting tired of Wright. I fully supported him for many years but I think it might be time to trade him away while his value is highest.

i think wright and that first basemen are untouchable. everyone else is up for grabs if the mets don't turn it around.

the double whammy for wright was getting plunked in the head and changing stadiums.

ask admiral what changing stadiums can do to the psyche of a team. especially guys with pop.

there were some good hitters on the padres who never recovered.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

He doesn't even have that. Dude can barely get on base.

Boy I don't get it with Bay. I actually do think he has plenty of power, he's just not hitting the ball hard. He seems to not be seeing the ball at all... I don't know what his deal is. I wanted him in NY badly, and it's a case of be careful what you wish for. Right now, I kind of wish Hairston was playing every day in left field, which seems like a crazy thing to say. I have to believe at some point Bay will snap out of it and will go back to his norms pre-Mets uniform. But that might not be until after he leaves NY behind.

• 1 month later...