SportsWrath

Giants comfortable letting eli play out deal

Herc

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/12541616/new-york-giants-comfortable-letting-eli-manning-play-deal

PHOENIX -- The New York Giants recently had another conversation with the representatives for quarterback Eli Manning, but the two sides are no closer to agreement on a contract extension and the Giants are comfortable letting Manning play out the final year of his contract, two sources close to the situation told ESPN.com on Sunday.

According to the sources, the Giants had been keeping a close eye on the contract extension talks between the Pittsburgh Steelers and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who had only one year left on his contract before he agreed to a five-year, $99 million deal last week. The Giants believe Manning will ask for more than Roethlisberger got, and at this point they don't appear ready to make that kind of commitment.

[+] Enlargenfl_a_manning01jr_C_300x200.jpg
AP Photo/Julio CortezEli Manning and the Giants have had additional talks to negotiate a potential contract extension, but the Giants are comfortable letting him play out his contract, according to sources.

The Giants still believe in Manning as their quarterback, and their primary goal is to keep him a Giant for the remainder of his career. But there's no advantage to them in moving on this deal right now. They could save as much as $11 million in 2015 salary cap space if they did an extension now. But given what little is left on the free-agent market, they're not going to need that cap space unless they make a trade for a high-salary player, or unless a player they like gets released and they have to outbid other teams for him.

As long as they don't need the cap space, there's no advantage to the Giants in extending Manning now. He's scheduled to earn $17 million in salary and count $19.75 million against the cap this year. If they don't get a deal done this year, they could keep him off next year's free-agent market by franchising him for 120 percent of this year's cap number, or $23.7 million. That's a heavy number, but with the cap expected to continue to rise year over year, it's not prohibitive. And it is of course always possible they could do an extension at that time or during the 2015 season.

It's also possible they could still do an extension this offseason, but that prospect doesn't seem likely unless there's a major change in one side's negotiation position.

Manning is coming off one of his strongest statistical seasons, having posted a career-best 63.1 completion percentage and the second-highest single-season yardage (4,410) and touchdown pass (30) totals of his career. He also dropped his interception total from the career-high and league-leading 27 in 2014 to 14 in 2015, his first season under new Giants offensive coordinator Ben McAdoo.

Manning also has started every single Giants game since being promoted to the starting job during his 2004 rookie season and has won two Super Bowl MVP awards. The Giants likely will have no issue paying him top-of-the-market quarterback money if it comes to that. From their standpoint, so far it has not.

so much for home-town discounts smh

Same reason that Big Ben just signed that 99 million dollar contract extension.

They both already brought their team to the Superbowl(s), I figure they think they don't owe anything to the team anymore.

Which is why I'm always impressed by Brady taking pay cuts, he still want's to win.

After reading this I wouldn't be surprised if we drafted a CB in the 1st. With Prince being a free agent after next season as well I doubt we're going to be able to sign both. I usually try to give Eli the benefit of the doubt, but this is really disappointing.

Off-field issues aside, I'm not quite sure what Eli's done to make him think he deserves more than Roethlisberger. Injuries maybe?

Supply and demand I guess... We've seen him play pretty much all of his professional career... he can be brilliant and he can be the total opposite of that... does it warrant handicapping the team as it has and continues to do so? Debatable and annoying...

In all seriousness, you have to wonder if that plays into it.

The Giants also realize what they gave up for Eli... and the fact that it really shouldn't come down to money for him... not when he's made a boatload as is and is making more from other sources... I'm puzzled by Eli and his agent.. yes I get this is a business but no one is asking him to play for free either. Eli shouldn't be making more than Brady that's for sure.

He's not going to get $100 million over 4-5 seasons with any other team. The Giants can let him test free agency if they want, and ask him what he wants his legacy to be... play the angle (not just an angle, it's true) that a moderate deal that gets him around $14-16 mil annually, that affords the team the ability to put more talent around him, or the legacy of a QB that squeezes every dime he can from the team and have more 8-8 seasons.

I would give specific names of players the Giants intend to target to make the team better. Now, who knows if he really is asking more than Ben. But it's going to be in the ballpark, I'm sure.

And I agree, Ben is a better QB than Eli, and deserves it more. I'd drive the point home by starting Nassib in the 2nd preseason game, and bring Eli in after, so he could still get work. Just letting him know that as a team, that it would be necessary to evaluate Nassib's readiness to start in meaningful games should Eli move on in free agency after the season. :)

He's not going to get $100 million over 4-5 seasons with any other team. The Giants can let him test free agency if they want, and ask him what he wants his legacy to be... play the angle (not just an angle, it's true) that a moderate deal that gets him around $14-16 mil annually, that affords the team the ability to put more talent around him, or the legacy of a QB that squeezes every dime he can from the team and have more 8-8 seasons.

I would give specific names of players the Giants intend to target to make the team better. Now, who knows if he really is asking more than Ben. But it's going to be in the ballpark, I'm sure.

And I agree, Ben is a better QB than Eli, and deserves it more. I'd drive the point home by starting Nassib in the 2nd preseason game, and bring Eli in after, so he could still get work. Just letting him know that as a team, that it would be necessary to evaluate Nassib's readiness to start in meaningful games should Eli move on in free agency after the season. :)

Don't see the Giants relying on Nassib as a bargaining chip at this point. That ship has sailed.

Its going to be a new contract and not a contract extension with Eli Manning. People have an idea about what the next contract is going to look like but nobody knows for certain. I personally don't see a big contract unless we win the super bowl this year and if the team gets blown up after a disappointing 2015, well it makes things interesting.

Don't see the Giants relying on Nassib as a bargaining chip at this point. That ship has sailed.

I don't think that's necessarily true. They clearly think he's a capable backup, at the least. The best backup qb job on the planet is behind Eli...

Its going to be a new contract and not a contract extension with Eli Manning. People have an idea about what the next contract is going to look like but nobody knows for certain. I personally don't see a big contract unless we win the super bowl this year and if the team gets blown up after a disappointing 2015, well it makes things interesting.

That's kind of what I think too.

The Giants are hedging their bets in case 2015 ends up like 2014. With Coughlin out, Reese will get to hire his own guy with his own vision of how he wants things to be (though I'd hope they'd let Reese go too). If Eli wants to be a part of that it's fine, but if he prices himself too expensively he can hit the market.

Eli needs to keep in mind that there is a cap, and he needs a team around him. That being said, hasn't Eli restructured a number of times already?

Don't be stupid, Giants! Eli has 4 more years or so left in him IMO. Do NOT let the best QB in franchise history get away.

If they do, I have a feeling it will be 15 years of the Dave Browns, Kent Graham's and Danny Kannells of the world until they come close to finding someone with the ability that Eli has.

I don't think that's necessarily true. They clearly think he's a capable backup, at the least. The best backup qb job on the planet is behind Eli...

He's not so great a backup that the Giants will hold that over Eli as a negotiating tactic. Further, the opportunity to see Nassib in games that matter has come and gone without the team giving him that experience. I guess my point is that if the Giants were going to do that, they'd have done it already and I do not think for a second that Eli's extension, or lack thereof, will be the catalyst to make it happen.

I think the Giants roll with Eli this year. Offer him a good contract, and let him walk if he can get more...same they did to Rolle, Tuck, Osi, Joseph, Bradshaw, etc.

After reading this I wouldn't be surprised if we drafted a CB in the 1st. With Prince being a free agent after next season as well I doubt we're going to be able to sign both. I usually try to give Eli the benefit of the doubt, but this is really disappointing.

I think we draft Cooper and dump Cruz at the end of the year. Dumping Cruz will save them $6 million next year and dumping Beatty will save them close to $5 million

The thing too is, how many teams are really looking for a veteran QB to come in and play for four years at that price? Most clubs either have their franchise QB in place already or have a young guy they're developing. I mean, there's always the Raiders but is that how a guy like Eli really wants to end his career?

I think we draft Cooper and dump Cruz at the end of the year. Dumping Cruz will save them $6 million next year and dumping Beatty will save them close to $5 million

That's exactly why I want a wide receiver. Cruz is basically going to have to have another 2011 to justify not cutting him next year and randle is a free agent. Where are we if they both have bad years and we have to let both go? Wide receiver is way too important

That's exactly why I want a wide receiver. Cruz is basically going to have to have another 2011 to justify not cutting him next year and randle is a free agent. Where are we if they both have bad years and we have to let both go? Wide receiver is way too important

Yeah, but that WR, given we have a year to develop them, could come in the 2nd or 3rd round. The fact we couldn't stop anyone last year had a bigger impact on our record than our lack of a WR.

Yeah, but that WR, given we have a year to develop them, could come in the 2nd or 3rd round. The fact we couldn't stop anyone last year had a bigger impact on our record than our lack of a WR.

Not to mention they say this draft is deep in WR...