SportsWrath

Old Article...but potentially very relevant to this years team

Zelmo

Interesting article.

I know that Runningbacks over 30, and QBs over 38 break down pretty rapidly.....it makes sense the same could happen with an offensive line that ages.

But, looking at some Hall of Fame linemen (Dan Dierdorf, Willie Roaf, John Hannah), it seems like the shelf life of a great lineman can be around 13+ seasons, which would put most guys into the the 35+ range.

I wonder if the old guys got by more on technigue than size, though.....that might extend careers.

http://www.profootba.../positions.aspx

Either way, it's time for Reese to make a serious effort to upgrade the line....really, he's about 2 year too late if you ask me.

Reese has been trying to upgrade the line the last 4 years, unfortunately we still have yet to see an improvement.

Interesting article.

I know that Runningbacks over 30, and QBs over 38 break down pretty rapidly.....it makes sense the same could happen with an offensive line that ages.

But, looking at some Hall of Fame linemen (Dan Dierdorf, Willie Roaf, John Hannah), it seems like the shelf life of a great lineman can be around 13+ seasons, which would put most guys into the the 35+ range.

I wonder if the old guys got by more on technigue than size, though.....that might extend careers.

http://www.profootba.../positions.aspx

Either way, it's time for Reese to make a serious effort to upgrade the line....really, he's about 2 year too late if you ask me.

Reese has been trying to upgrade the line the last 4 years, unfortunately we still have yet to see an improvement.

With all due respect, the most serious effort was Beatty, and he was considered by some as a reach because he wasn't a refined player. The rest of his attempts, unless I'm missing someone, have been mid-late round moonshots.

Giants need to cut the shit and commit to fucking blue chip lineman, soon.

We do our best work with the moonshots. Half the line was made up of moonshots and the others we picked up in free agency.

With all due respect, the most serious effort was Beatty, and he was considered by some as a reach because he wasn't a refined player. The rest of his attempts, unless I'm missing someone, have been mid-late round moonshots.

Giants need to cut the shit and commit to fucking blue chip lineman, soon.

• 6 years later...

I think the metric is stupid, but the gist of the article is valid. The line was ignored and the team suffered as a result.

I wouldn't say so much "ignored" as JR and company couldn't find any talent at those positions to save their lives.

I mean they spent a good number of draft picks both in the early and later rounds on OL players, just none of them worked out.

Not to mention the FA OL players that wern't any good either.

I think the metric is stupid, but the gist of the article is valid. The line was ignored and the team suffered as a result.

It's not that the line was ignored as much as it was that Reese and Ross were just really bad at recognizing talent.

Pugh, Richburg, Moseley, Brewer, Petrus... these were guys that were being counted on to be at least competent starters, if not stars. Those two guys were just completely inept at getting guys in who could actually play.

It's not that the line was ignored as much as it was that Reese and Ross were just really bad at recognizing talent.

Pugh, Richburg, Moseley, Brewer, Petrus... these were guys that were being counted on to be at least competent starters, if not stars. Those two guys were just completely inept at getting guys in who could actually play.

Jerry Reese was great at telling everyone the players he drafted were as good as any others in the league. I have hard time believing the idea that Jerry Reese didn't ignore the offensive line because he was content as long as five offensive linemen showed up regardless of quality and he waited years before making a move. Offensive line was never a priority for Jerry Reese as long as he was in charge.