Tim Tebow to sign with Philadelphia Eagles
  • 0ap1000000236552.jpg
  • print.png
    g-plus.png
    fb-like.png
    share-button.png
  • By Kevin Patra
  • Around the NFL writer
  • Published: April 19, 2015 at 06:57 p.m.
  • Updated: April 19, 2015 at 07:26 p.m.

Tim Tebow's workout with the Philadelphia Eagles last month will lead to another chance for the quarterback.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Sunday that the Eagles are planning to bring in Tebow on Monday and sign him as they begin their offseason program. FOX Sports' Jay Glazer first reported the news.

Tebow will join an Eagles' quarterback room that includes Sam Bradford, Mark Sanchez, Matt Barkley and G.J. Kinne.

Coach Chip Kelly told NFL Media's Steve Wyche last month that he's "always been a fan of Tim." Now the coach will get a longer, closer look at the quarterback.

Tebow hasn't thrown a touchdown pass since 2011, when he led the Denver Broncos to a playoff victory. The 27-year-old spent 2012 with the New York Jets in a disastrous pairing with Sanchez, who was Gang Green's starting signal caller at the time. Tebow spent training camp with the New England Patriots in 2013.

The quarterback spent last fall working as a football analyst for ESPN's SEC Network, but he never gave up on getting another chance at the NFL.

The Boston Globe reported that Tebow spent the past two years working with Tom House, Tom Brady's personal quarterback coach. Per House, Tebow "went from being a little inaccurate and didn't throw a whole lot of spirals, to throwing very accurate and real good at spinning the ball."

With Bradford still rehabbing from another ACL tear, the Eagles signing Tebow could be merely a move to add a fourth quarterback arm for offseason work. From there it's Tebow's job to display his improvements as a passer and leapfrog the other signal-callers on the roster.

As this entire offseason has displayed, only Chip Kelly knows his true plans.

Seriously doe when a fat fuck like Jarmarcus Russel or whatever his name was, gets taken first over all but a guy like Tebow who from what I've read about the guy has worked harder than anyone to become a better QB has been out of the league for the last couple of years.

Have to wonder why teams were hesitant to sign him other than the college frenzy fanbase that follows everything he does.

But signing a murderer or dog killer is good publicity apparently.

Ok rant over.

He has zero talent though. Russell had elite arm talent and massive upside. He was everything you wanted in an NFL QB has far has physical gifts.

I would agree but from everything i remember about the guy during the draft was all about his arm strength no one talked about his football fundamentals or how good of a QB he was. Every highlight of him was just him heaving the ball downfield and the WR making a play on the ball.

Granted every highlight of Tebow in college was just an option play or the occasional short pass the WR turned into something big.

I just meant everything I've read about Tebow is the moment he was criticized about his passing ability he's worked harder than anyone I've read about trying to improve his game. I mean isn't that the type of player you would want on your team? Even if he's just a backup he's still better than most backups out there on his physical ability and drive to improve.

Even after all this though I still think he sucks. Maybe just that he's one of the few players i read about who want to improve instead of just looking for a better paycheck or the next drive by.

I think the problem with Tim Tebow is the same that Michael Sam has.

He definitely has talent that could be developed, but it'll take a while... and what organization wants to deal with the shit show while they're waiting for a return on the investment?

I would agree but from everything i remember about the guy during the draft was all about his arm strength no one talked about his football fundamentals or how good of a QB he was. Every highlight of him was just him heaving the ball downfield and the WR making a play on the ball.

Granted every highlight of Tebow in college was just an option play or the occasional short pass the WR turned into something big.

I just meant everything I've read about Tebow is the moment he was criticized about his passing ability he's worked harder than anyone I've read about trying to improve his game. I mean isn't that the type of player you would want on your team? Even if he's just a backup he's still better than most backups out there on his physical ability and drive to improve.

Even after all this though I still think he sucks. Maybe just that he's one of the few players i read about who want to improve instead of just looking for a better paycheck or the next drive by.

I agree. He seems like a genuinely great guy in the age of Peterson's, Hardy's...

i love the guy too, and if he weren't an eagle i'd genuinely root for him to be a success, but he had the fifth lowest completion percentage ever last time he was a starting qb

He set up long Matt Prater field goals and became a national hero

The worst thing that ever happened to him as a player was to get drafted in the first round. There are plenty of talented College QBs who never make it into the NFL and Tim Tebow should have been one of them.

Poor Eagles. Holy shit, I can't wait until they are under the redskins in the coming year.

Chip Kelly is a fucking fraud

i love the guy too, and if he weren't an eagle i'd genuinely root for him to be a success, but he had the fifth lowest completion percentage ever last time he was a starting qb

Loving the way you guys think. First of all, consider the options. He's a big man. You can line him up as a "move" tight end in the red zone and let the defense figure out if it will be Tebow, Murray or Sproles you have to defend. Add to that the NFL possibly moving the ball up to the 1 1/2 yard line for two point coinversions and you could even line him up behind center. Now lets consider lining him up behind center... We already know he can work well with Cooper, and he's been working with Tom House as a throwing coach. Hell with what we're paying him, we could even just use him as a personal protector on punts if we want to. :laugh:

Loving the way you guys think. First of all, consider the options. He's a big man. You can line him up as a "move" tight end in the red zone and let the defense figure out if it will be Tebow, Murray or Sproles you have to defend. Add to that the NFL possibly moving the ball up to the 1 1/2 yard line for two point coinversions and you could even line him up behind center. Now lets consider lining him up behind center... We already know he can work well with Cooper, and he's been working with Tom House as a throwing coach. Hell with what we're paying him, we could even just use him as a personal protector on punts if we want to. :laugh:

Okay great, so you know that's what the Eagles will be using him for lmao

I always thought he'd be a great RB with the threat to throw the option, but rumor has it he insists he's a QB and wont' do any gimmicky bullshit.

Which is too bad, because gimmicky bullshit is really the only thing he's good at.