SportsWrath

Chris Borland

Sephiroth

Really shocked at this one. Such a tremendous linebacker. It seems odd to me that Willis, Justin Smith (still not set in stone?), and now Borland, all retiring. I suppose I take him at his word that he is doing the right think for his long term health, but I also wonder if this has anything to do with the regime change in San Francisco as well. With the kind of money out there, it's also a little shocking that he only played his rookie season. I would think you play under that rookie deal, I don't know. Since it's not me I don't have to worry about it.

The injuries are scaring the younger guys, Especially ones who think they can have careers outside of football. If I was looking at a career that would have me ending like Junior Seau i would not risk it.

And yet how many of us go skiing, or ride motorcycles?

The difference is you're not guaranteed to wipe out on a motorcycle or skiing, or you can atleast limit the risk by not driving like an idiot and not taking on slopes above your skill level.

In football it's your job to run as fast and as hard as you can into other guys (usually bigger than you) who are running as hard and as fast as they can into you.

It's not like he can ask the other teams O-line and RBs to go easy on him because he has had concussions in the past, he can't limit the risk.

And yet how many of us go skiing, or ride motorcycles?

i do none of the above. Life in general is a dangerous one. He has a degree in history so he is not in need of a football to make his means. If you dont love it and with the risk why do it?

i do none of the above. Life in general is a dangerous one. He has a degree in history so he is not in need of a football to make his means. If you dont love it and with the risk why do it?

Well in that case, probably not the best idea to leave football before that rookie contract was up....

Coming from a man with a Physiology degree?

I have a masters, doggy, and it's certainly not in physiology. I have a job that doesn't involve teaching, which is virtually the only thing you can do with a history degree.

If I had a kid, there is no way I'd let him play football. I'd encourage every other sport but football, and maybe hockey. I really am on board with doing away with current helmets and going back to a softer material.

I agree with the soft helmet theory.

No problem with letting my kid play football though, if he wants to.

I've seen a couple collisions on the soccer field that were worse than anything I saw in youth football. I've seen a kid hit with a baseball bat before, broke a couple bones. Heard of a guy dying at a girl's softball game when he got hit with a foul ball. Bad shit can happen in any sport, but the only thing worse than playing is not playing. .

Yeah, the hard shell helmet was the worst possible idea for the sport. It takes kids about five minutes with the helmet on to realize that it can be used as a weapon.

But I think back to the countless hours of playing full contact football without pads with friends... well, with no helmet on, we sure kept our heads up when we tackled. No way around it, without the armor, good form happened instinctively.

"Do you want to make that a meal?"

I agree with the soft helmet theory.

No problem with letting my kid play football though, if he wants to.

I've seen a couple collisions on the soccer field that were worse than anything I saw in youth football. I've seen a kid hit with a baseball bat before, broke a couple bones. Heard of a guy dying at a girl's softball game when he got hit with a foul ball. Bad shit can happen in any sport, but the only thing worse than playing is not playing. .

Sure there is risk in anything you do, but in general baseball players don't get dementia at 40 and die at 55.

I hope the nfl takes the lead and does away with the hard helmets. I played in high school abd remember getting my bell rung several times, and as you mentioned all the years of backyard football i remember one head to head impact. Some broken bones but usually our heads weren't butting.

Sure there is risk in anything you do, but in general baseball players don't get dementia at 40 and die at 55.

I hope the nfl takes the lead and does away with the hard helmets. I played in high school abd remember getting my bell rung several times, and as you mentioned all the years of backyard football i remember one head to head impact. Some broken bones but usually our heads weren't butting.

I think if you combined an updated classic type mask for football.

83780e36-49db-4884-b4df-57a38a4679e3_lg.

With something to keep players' noses from breaking...

tumblr_n1pnrw2mTt1qm9rypo1_500.jpg

You could probably get something that not only is safer for players, but looks really cool. Hell, designing the faceplate might become part of a team's logo... you could end up with something cool like this.

spawn-mask-airsoft-paintball-figure-hock

I know Nem would approve.

He THINKS he MIGHT have had a concussion, he wasn't diagnosed with one by team doctors.

Cuz there always worried about YOUR health and not weather you can put the helmet back on.

Educated College players are going to be making more rational decisions then the guy that has not been to class since Junior High and only knows football.

The NFL was smart in making sure QB are the most protected guys out there. If this was Tom Brady or Russel Wilson the NFL would have to re think its game.