SportsWrath

LOL

Herc

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11306771/andy-dalton-cincinnati-bengals-reach-six-year-115-million-deal

Andy Dalton gets six-year deal
Updated: August 4, 2014, 10:23 AM ET
By Adam Schefter and Adam Caplan | ESPN

The Cincinnati Bengals and quarterback Andy Dalton have reached agreement on a six-year, $115 million contract, sources told ESPN.com on Monday.

[+] Enlargenfl_a_andydalton_cmg_600_300x200.jpg
AP Photo/Al BehrmanAndy Dalton will be leading a Bengals offense that is looking to be more physical than in recent seasons.

Dalton, who will sign the deal later Monday, had one year remaining on his contract and was scheduled to make just less than $1.7 million.

Just this weekend, Bengals offensive coordinator Hue Jackson said Dalton's play during training camp has been "sensational." Cincinnati, however, still wants Dalton to be sensational during the postseason, where he is 0-3 as a starter.

Dalton has guided the Bengals to 30 regular-season wins and three straight trips to the playoffs.

Bengals owner Mike Brown had said during camp that Dalton will be "the quarterback here for the immediate future."

Cincinnati opens its preseason Thursday night at Kansas City.

Luck plays in a simplier offense, but I would probably take Luck still based on skill set alone. I am interested in how well Dalton could play in Hue Jackson's O, Jay Gruden...I celebrated when Washington hired Jay Gruden.

on occasion yes. the issue here, however, is whether andy dalton is as good as his contract

Actually in the last heck even 20 yeas an league average QB has played in every Superbowl atleast.

But yes, the main issue is his play warranting his pay. I know watching NFL network one of the big hype trains this year is how Dalton is progressing this year and how the Bongles are expecting him to make that leap.

well you said "get to and win" the superbowl. i still think it's kind of the exception that you can win a superbowl with a game manager. the bengals can certainly be a team like that given their talent but considering dalton is probably the biggest reason the bengals are 0-3 in the playoffs since he took over, i think he's struggling even for that "game manager" label right now.

their public optimism doesn't surprise me given the size of their investment

yeah they both crumple at the slightest sign of a blitz. the guy's literally a league average qb

eh.... his production, at his relatively tender age... it ain't great, but it ain't average either.

on occasion yes. the issue here, however, is whether andy dalton is as good as his contract

Sure... thats the going rate for a young starting caliber QB. If they don't resign Dalton to this extension, then they're getting a new QB from the draft or free agency - there are no free agents who are better for less money, and the draft is a total crap shoot.

well he's 23rd in QBR over the past 3 years which makes him below average-to-average. and i understand the reasoning of sticking with him but just because the bengals were scared of starting over doesn't mean he's better than average like his contract is

well he's 23rd in QBR over the past 3 years which makes him below average-to-average. and i understand the reasoning of sticking with him but just because the bengals were scared of starting over doesn't mean he's better than average like his contract is

That contract isn't better than average for a starting QB... I wager that if we look at all the contracts that starting QBs have signed over the last three or four years, Dalton makes the least.

And those stats aren't merely for the 'past three years'.... they're for his first three years. Last season is a far better barometer of the player he's going to be than his rookie season.

it's front loaded but it's structured in such a way that he's not cuttable til 2017 which basically means he's guaranteed 31 million until then unless the bengals want to take a huge cap hit in 2016 and make it 26 mil for 2 years.

That contract isn't better than average for a starting QB

it's the 11th highest in football.

I wager that if we look at all the contracts that starting QBs have signed over the last three or four years, Dalton makes the least.

not unless you're only thinking of all the big newsworthy contracts we've seen. if so then yes he is being paid less than rodgers, kapernick, brees, manning, flacco, etc as he should be because he's not as good as they are.

And those stats aren't merely for the 'past three years'.... they're for his first three years. Last season is a far better barometer of the player he's going to be than his rookie season.

he was 15th in QBR last season and is possibly the worst starting qb in football against the blitz

it's front loaded but it's structured in such a way that he's not cuttable til 2017 which basically means he's guaranteed 31 million until then unless the bengals want to take a huge cap hit in 2016 and make it 26 mil for 2 years.

it's the 11th highest in football.

not unless you're only thinking of all the big newsworthy contracts we've seen. if so then yes he is being paid less than rodgers, kapernick, brees, manning, flacco, etc as he should be because he's not as good as they are.

he was 15th in QBR last season and is possibly the worst starting qb in football against the blitz

I disagree. I watch a lot of Bengals football, I never thought he was that bad against the blitz. And he's fairly mobile too, he can still improve in that area. Dalton is better than Kaepernick, hands down. And he may not be as good as the others on that list, but he's younger and still improving. If I were a GM, factoring in that contract and his age, I would take Dalton over every single one of the guys on that list except Aaron Rodgers. And maybe Flacco.

Not saying the guy is a hall of famer... just that there aren't that many young, good-enough QBs.

They drafted McCarron too, that's what confuses a lot of people about the deal.

I didn't think anyone except McCarron thought he was going compete to be a starter. That guy screamed backup to me. Nice looking girlfriend though, I'll give him that.

i don't agree that he's anywhere near kaepernick.

as for how he is against the rush, he's bottom 5 in qbr dropoff when he gets rushed

LD1Anjb.png

good point, I didn't think it was that bad.

But if we're using QBR, Total QBR has that factored in already... and rates him as above average despite his struggles in a rush situation.

I think he'll improve in that area though.