SportsWrath

Whoa, Tigers / Marlins trade.

Virginia Giant

Yahoo Sports

Tigers get Cabrera, Willis from Marlins

December 4, 2007

BRISTOL, Connecticut (Ticker) - The Detroit Tigers apparently have won the sweep stakes for Miguel Cabrera.

According to a report on ESPN.com, the Tigers have acquired the third baseman and lefthander Dontrelle Willis from the Florida Marlins for six players.

The Marlins will receive lefthander Andrew Miller, outfielder Cameron Maybin, catcher Mike Rabelo and three minor leaguers.

(MORE)

Updated on Tuesday, Dec 4, 2007 6:44 pm, EST

Five years down the road the Tigers will be kicking themselves.

Maybin will be the catalyst on a great Marlins offense and Miller will be shredding through the NL. Willis will be get killed in the AL and Cabrera will continue to be a great hitter.

Marlins got the better side IMO.

Five years down the road the Tigers will be kicking themselves.

Maybin will be the catalyst on a great Marlins offense and Miller will be shredding through the NL. Willis will be get killed in the AL and Cabrera will continue to be a great hitter.

Marlins got the better side IMO.

Five years is a long way off, B. This give Detroit a truly awesome line up. With any kind of pitching, they are going to be bad, very bad.

who knows how these prospects will turn out. if maybin and miller are both all-stars in five years but detroit won a championship or was in the world series a few times then i'd have a hard time saying detroit lost the deal. none of the other 4 prospects are supposed to be worth anything anyway

good trade for the blue jays, horrible for the giants...imagine if that trade happens...the young pitching talent in the AL East would be insane...Kazmir, Garza, Sheilds, Hughes, Chamberlain, Kennedy, Cain/Lincecum, Bedard, Buttholtz, Marcum...damn dropped the gat from my hand

What does anyone know about Alex Rios? Rumor is Lincecum (ok) or Cain (no) for him.

I'd say the Giants are getting a sure thing, the Jays two maybes. Rios is a very good ball player, not great, but very good. Could turn out to be a 100 RBI/ 100 runs guy. An excellent fielder. If the Giants can afford the pitching, I think they should go for it.

I'd say the Giants are getting a sure thing, the Jays two maybes. Rios is a very good ball player, not great, but very good. Could turn out to be a 100 RBI/ 100 runs guy. An excellent fielder. If the Giants can afford the pitching, I think they should go for it.

I don't know about maybe- Cain is definitely a horse. Lincecum showed all signs of becoming the next Roy Oswaldt. I say pass on this guy. These 2 pitchers are the kind that win championships.

if the pitcher and hitter are equal you never trade the pitcher for the hitter. besides, they aren't equal, cain is better than rios already and lincecum is on his way to being better as well. rios is good but he wont get any better

if the pitcher and hitter are equal you never trade the pitcher for the hitter. besides, they aren't equal, cain is better than rios already and lincecum is on his way to being better as well. rios is good but he wont get any better

i just heard sabean say toronto is not interested in cain, only lincecum. which (reading between the lines) means he offered cain. that's surprising to me.

sabaen's too smart to deal one of those guys for an above-average OF who has a track record of a whole 2 years playing at that level. i wouldn't go as far as to say the alex rios' of the world are a dime a dozen, but they are certainly more available than the cain's and lincecum's

sabaen's too smart to deal one of those guys for an above-average OF who has a track record of a whole 2 years playing at that level. i wouldn't go as far as to say the alex rios' of the world are a dime a dozen, but they are certainly more available than the cain's and lincecum's

yet not too smart to sign dave roberts, ray durham and randy winn long term.

i dont know the specifics of their contracts but i had been kind of reserving judgment on his handling of the offense until bonds was finally gone. i know they tried hard for aramis ramirez and soriana last season before finally taking bonds back, i'd love to see if there really is going to be a noticeable change in philosophy starting this offseason

If I were the Giants, I would certainly trade ONE of those pitchers for Rios. Rios is more than a little better than average IMO, and if he fills out while still being able to get around on a pitch, he can put up some mean numbers. He's also already established while both Cain or Lincecum are a gamble.

if rios was a center fielder, i'd probably do it. we have a lot of outfielders but none that play center well- a very important position in ATT park. otherwise, i don't see how much difference he'll make with the likes of durham and winn protecting him.

if rios was a center fielder, i'd probably do it. we have a lot of outfielders but none that play center well- a very important position in ATT park. otherwise, i don't see how much difference he'll make with the likes of durham and winn protecting him.

I imagine he can play center. He has the speed. They have Wells, who is probably one of the best around today.