SportsWrath

Giants in talks with Osi

Bigblue25

Osi: Give me more money

Reese: No

Osi: Fuck You

Reese: Good luck in free agency

I'm not particularly happy with how things have turned out between Umenyiora and the Giants, just looking forward to the day this relationship is over. Everyone can move on and be happy. I would like Umenyiora to retire a Giant, but at the right price.

I think had Osi gone about this whole thing differently, he would have had a deal by now. Some people feel he's underpaid (Kiwanuka does)... I'm not one of those. Yes Osi is an integral part of the team but he's the 3rd best DE and the team has a salary cap situation to worry about. If Osi plays 16 games I understand but he hasn't and quite frankly $3.9M isn't exactly chump change... after all he did sign that dotted line. I do hope he and the Giants can find middle ground... Osi is not as good as he thinks he's but the Giants are better off with him than without him.

If Osi had underperformed on his deal, the Giants may have either cut him to save salary OR asked him to take a pay cut. It happens quite frequently across the NFL. So yeah, Osi has a bit of a point.

However, in this instance, I think Osi played up to his contract. Osi signed a 7-year deal and in those years, salaries have increased quite a bit...so the going rate of a quality DE has increased. That's not the fault of the Giants. Sure, they've tried to pad his salary a little bit by adding incentives, but it's the big extension Osi is looking for.

I think Osi has been paid appropriately thus far. I also believe that Osi should have fired his agent years ago when he was stuck in a 7 year deal. No way in hell, if I'm an NFL player, am I signing a 7 year deal BECAUSE of the ever increasing value of contracts.

So Osi and his agent deserve some fault here for signing the long deal in the first place. What Osi needs to understand is that the Giants look out for the Giants. Giving Osi a huge extension at 10+ million per year just isn't in the best interest of the team because he's the 3rd best DE here.

The Giants MAY have dropped the ball somewhat in not drafting a DE this year. With Tolly gone and Osi gone after the year, it potentially leaves us pretty thin at the position.

If Osi had underperformed on his deal, the Giants may have either cut him to save salary OR asked him to take a pay cut. It happens quite frequently across the NFL. So yeah, Osi has a bit of a point.

However, in this instance, I think Osi played up to his contract. Osi signed a 7-year deal and in those years, salaries have increased quite a bit...so the going rate of a quality DE has increased. That's not the fault of the Giants. Sure, they've tried to pad his salary a little bit by adding incentives, but it's the big extension Osi is looking for.

I think Osi has been paid appropriately thus far. I also believe that Osi should have fired his agent years ago when he was stuck in a 7 year deal. No way in hell, if I'm an NFL player, am I signing a 7 year deal BECAUSE of the ever increasing value of contracts.

So Osi and his agent deserve some fault here for signing the long deal in the first place. What Osi needs to understand is that the Giants look out for the Giants. Giving Osi a huge extension at 10+ million per year just isn't in the best interest of the team because he's the 3rd best DE here.

The Giants MAY have dropped the ball somewhat in not drafting a DE this year. With Tolly gone and Osi gone after the year, it potentially leaves us pretty thin at the position.

We can always find quality depth on the cheap... You can only draft so many and DE isn't exactly our weak point... we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.. for now.. Osi is a Giant and maybe so for 3 more years (I'm suspecting the Giants will come to terms with him)

News is coming out that Osi has agreed to a restructured deal with the Giants after firing his agent, Tony Agnone. Terms of the restructured deal were not released. It sounds like it's not an extension, just more money this year.

Maybe it was the agent that was fucking up the deal. They prolly care more about what they get there pocket then what best for the player

Yep, and I think they sat him down and showed him why they can't throw the cash register at him (salary cap). Besides we had other things to worry about such as draft... etc. His was a big chunk and they needed it by itself to resolve without so many moving parts.

Glad Osi is back and is happy. :flex:

I'm not sure if they restructured the year or added more years.

weird, we give him more money but he's still a free agent after this year.

We get to use him for one more year.. and he's happy... and will play his ass off because he's looking for that big payday... My guess is the Giants know they're going to lose him and might as well get the best of him in 2012 and still get that 4th rounder next year.

4th rounder in 2014 Nas.

But yea I agree with your thoughts on this.

Reese didn't have to do it, but he did and I love this move. Paying Osi! Good story! Maybe he sticks around now for a small discount!

that is not going to happen.

I'd say there is maybe a 5% chance of Osi being a giant after this season.

from what i gathered its that we basically gave him a $3 million dollar pay raise. they did it in a way where that 3 mil is spread as a bonus over this year and next year, with next year as a 'voidable year' where osi can leave the team like he wants to.

so we will be taking a 1.5mil cap hit next year with osi off the team. its not a lot but to capped out teams it can be.

The only way Osi is a Giant next year, is if he gets injured badly this season and we sign him to a cap-friendly deal that is the highest he's offered. I think Osi is clearly going to follow the money in the offseason, and I just don't see that being us given the players we have to take care of going forward.