SportsWrath

"shURMur is GONNA OPen uP thE plAyBoOk!"

BlueInCanada

Remember when Eli was sat for Jones.

All the pundits were saying "Shrumur finally has HIS QB! He can finally open up the playbook because Eli was holding it back!"

So have we seen a single thing play calling wise these last five weeks different compared to the first two?

I think we've seen maybe two designed QB runs, and one RPO play?

8 sacks and you think playcalling is the problem? The third and long draw was a Jones audible.

Atleast four or five of those sacks were on Jones, the kid is holding the ball way to long.

Outside of that though, what has Shurmur done in the slightest different play calling wise that he wasnt doing with Eli last year?

The whole idea about starting Jones was to get him experience and that Shurmur could "finally" open up his playcalling.

Looks the same except for Jones' ability to take off. Even when he was younger, Eli never would have moved like Jones does. May as well have kept Eli in. At least he was good for only one turnover a game.

I'm not saying I disagree with Jones starting.

It was time to move on from Eli and get Jones experience.

But everything Jones does better than Eli is simply just him scrambling with pass protection breaks down.

Shurmurs play calling (so far) hasnt changed in the slightest outside of maybe two or three times he's called something specifically for Jones.

I'm not saying I disagree with Jones starting.

It was time to move on from Eli and get Jones experience.

But everything Jones does better than Eli is simply just him scrambling with pass protection breaks down.

Shurmurs play calling (so far) hasnt changed in the slightest outside of maybe two or three times he's called something specifically for Jones.

I'm not disagreeing with starting Jones either. But like you said, if there are plays designed for Jones, they sure look like the same old playbook. In which case you would think your $18 million 2 time Superbowl MVP backup QB could execute them.

But you know what? The more I think about it, the more I think this is a Giants fault more than a coach's fault. The Giants have never had a "dynamic" "high powered" offense. It seems like it's been the same since 1925. We've had some good offenses that executed well, but nothing like a Sean McVay led offense. Of course, he sucks now too, so....

I'm not disagreeing with starting Jones either. But like you said, if there are plays designed for Jones, they sure look like the same old playbook. In which case you would think your $18 million 2 time Superbowl MVP backup QB could execute them.

But you know what? The more I think about it, the more I think this is a Giants fault more than a coach's fault. The Giants have never had a "dynamic" "high powered" offense. It seems like it's been the same since 1925. We've had some good offenses that executed well, but nothing like a Sean McVay led offense. Of course, he sucks now too, so....

That's always worrying.

We had one of the best WRs to ever suit up in Blue and in the NFL, and they moved on from him.

We have the best RB to ever play in blue and in the NFL, and we are wasting his prime years.

We have one of the best TEs to ever play in blue, and we are wasting his prime years.

That's always worrying.

We had one of the best WRs to ever suit up in Blue and in the NFL, and they moved on from him.

We have the best RB to ever play in blue and in the NFL, and we are wasting his prime years.

We have one of the best TEs to ever play in blue, and we are wasting his prime years.

I wouldn't put him in that category yet.

The playcalling has been overall a complete fucking example in abomination. This offense should not suck this much in game we were down by 3 for the most part. 8 sacks is a result of poor playcalling making the QB hold the ball when WRs werent getting open. They should have just kept pounding it with Barkley and Gallman all game.

How the fuck do you watch every TE in the league go for 120 yrds and a TD on AVERAGE against the Cards the entire season and one of the most prolific playmaking TEs has 6 yards the entire game. 6 fucking yards. I dont even want to talk about the Ellison TD (a beautiful throw nonetheless). But Engram with 6 yrds against a team that struggles covering TEs is just plain fucking retarded and thats entirely on the playcalling and gameplanning

Engram dropped at least 3 passes, Iceman. Including a pivotal drop down the sidelines that would have put them in scoring positions. He played like absolute garbage and was a huge reason the Giants lost. He was better off taking this week off to heal if he was just going to take it off during the game.

And Im not sure how you can blame Shurmur for poor offensive line play or a quarterback that has been holding the ball too long all season or even blame him for having WRs who cant get any separation. These are all either individual player faults or organizational faults.

Engram dropped at least 3 passes, Iceman. Including a pivotal drop down the sidelines that would have put them in scoring positions. He played like absolute garbage and was a huge reason the Giants lost. He was better off taking this week off to heal if he was just going to take it off during the game.

And Im not sure how you can blame Shurmur for poor offensive line play or a quarterback that has been holding the ball too long all season or even blame him for having WRs who cant get any separation. These are all either individual player faults or organizational faults.

We've had more losses than last night.

All of them had questionable play calling.

I'm not blaming the loss on Shurmur but has mismanagement if the last 5 minutes of the game was pathetic.

The topic of this thread was over the past five weeks what have we seen out of this offence that was any different out of Eli?

So far we could if kept Eli in and would have the same record more than likely and still have the same play calling.

And yes a QB who is on pace to set a turnover record is an coaching problem as much as it is an individual problem.

I guess I just dont understand the big deal. Not many passes net 18 yards and given this passing offense in the rain and shitty weather, I dont see why a draw there is such a terrible decision. Especially if you know youre going for it on 4th down. And after that, if he punts on fourth down, hes facing the same exact criticism anyway.

Even if they got 10 on third down it was still a horrible position to call a play that his team put him in.

I guess I just dont understand the big deal. Not many passes net 18 yards and given this passing offense in the rain and shitty weather, I dont see why a draw there is such a terrible decision. Especially if you know youre going for it on 4th down. And after that, if he punts on fourth down, hes facing the same exact criticism anyway.

Even if they got 10 on third down it was still a horrible position to call a play that his team put him in.

It is true that there are not many great plays in the playbook for 3rd and 18.. but running a draw almost feels like you are giving up on it. I did hear that it was a Danny Dimes audible on the play due to the defense.

It is true that there are not many great plays in the playbook for 3rd and 18.. but running a draw almost feels like you are giving up on it. I did hear that it was a Danny Dimes audible on the play due to the defense.

.... and I think they baited him too, it looked like the D was keyed on the draw play. They were in zone D, watching the backfield all the way.

A few things I find unacceptable about the coaching/playcalling, and aside from DJ's turnover propensity and the bad OL:

- Barkey is underutilized in the passing game, especially with so many injuries. He has less than 6 yards per reception this season. A good coach would be able to constantly create mismatches that free him up or free up other guys.

- Agree with everyone that points out the blitzing/pressure DJ is facing, but that good coaching and playcalling should be able to scheme around that, throw some screens, etc to neutralize that to some extent. Pat doesn't seem to be able to do that.

- Too many plays behind the line of scrimmage.

- Too much trying to run Barkely inside (especially with a below avg O-line, not enough outside. A good coach should be able to get him into space.

Also, Nate Solder needs to seek a new profession.

Yeah o-line is a huge priority again. Jones holds the ball in the pocket way too long and apparently cant see anything that isnt directly in front of his face so he seriously needs the protection as much as eli did

Yeah o-line is a huge priority again. Jones holds the ball in the pocket way too long and apparently cant see anything that isnt directly in front of his face so he seriously needs the protection as much as eli did

His pocket presence is horrible. I don't know how he didn't see Jones on that strip sack.