SportsWrath

Umps don't like the Red Sox

mickeef2

That 1-2 pitch to Abreu in the first last night was a total fucking joke. Led to two big runs.

engadget%20crying%20baby.GIF

Seriously, though, I thought Dice's performance overall was better than his numbers indicated. He did let himself get rattled after the horrible Abreu non-call, and the Jeter homer was a mistake. But Damon's was a 315 foot pop-up in most stadiums. Still, he's gotta cut out the mistakes. Not sure he'll be able to.

That 1-2 pitch to Abreu in the first last night was a total fucking joke. Led to two big runs.

engadget%20crying%20baby.GIF

Seriously, though, I thought Dice's performance overall was better than his numbers indicated. He did let himself get rattled after the horrible Abreu non-call, and the Jeter homer was a mistake. But Damon's was a 315 foot pop-up in most stadiums. Still, he's gotta cut out the mistakes. Not sure he'll be able to.

It's Matsuzaka's first year in the majors, and as hyped as he was, I don't think any of us can be disappointed by a line of 13-11, 176.1 IP, 174 Ks (T-5th), 3.88 ERA, 1.28 WHIP, and .240 BAA. It's simply a matter of run support and control, considering that most of the runs have scored off of his 66 walks (20th in the majors) and his 20 HRs. All it's going to take is a little more comfort, a little more time to figure out the strike zone and hitters, and we'll have an even better pitcher. It's the first year of a 6 year deal and it's lookin' good.

But umpires have made some horrible calls against the Sox this year, remember Drew's HR off the monster that he didn't get? You just gotta shrug off umpires though, hope they get the call right next time, and just forget their names so they realize how unimportant they are to you.

I thought that Francona would learn a lesson from Pettite giving up that HR to Tek. But hey, we have a well rested bullpen now and the Yankees can't toss out Chamberlain every night.

Not to ruffle feathers but despite not having Chamberlain tonight the Yankees had no problems with the Sox lineup (I was @ the game) aside from Farnsworthless this game was pretty cut & dried...... although I will give Sox fans this..... that first base umpire is clearly on our payroll.

Not to ruffle feathers but despite not having Chamberlain tonight the Yankees had no problems with the Sox lineup (I was @ the game) aside from Farnsworthless this game was pretty cut & dried...... although I will give Sox fans this..... that first base umpire is clearly on our payroll.

The score was 4-3, so if you're gonna tout your pitching, we didn't use any of our 3 best relievers and we only gave up one more run than you did. It might've slipped your mind that our cleanup hitter (Manny Ramirez- remember him?), one who's had success against Clemens, was out of the lineup, replaced with a guy hitting about .200. As for the "aside from Farnsworth" part, Kyle Farnsworth is a little more important to the Yankees bullpen right now than you might think. He had been pitching well lately, and that was a good sign for them in light of the fact that Joba can't pitch on consecutive days. Once again though, with the pressure on, he fell apart.

These were two close games and the breaks seemed to go your way. If the season so far is any indication, the momentum is gonna shift about another 15 times between now and the playoffs, so I'm trying to keep a level head about recent developments (though I admit it's pretty hard).

Truthfully, I don't recall any close plays at first that the ump might've missed.

It's Matsuzaka's first year in the majors, and as hyped as he was, I don't think any of us can be disappointed by a line of 13-11, 176.1 IP, 174 Ks (T-5th), 3.88 ERA, 1.28 WHIP, and .240 BAA. It's simply a matter of run support and control, considering that most of the runs have scored off of his 66 walks (20th in the majors) and his 20 HRs. All it's going to take is a little more comfort, a little more time to figure out the strike zone and hitters, and we'll have an even better pitcher. It's the first year of a 6 year deal and it's lookin' good.

But umpires have made some horrible calls against the Sox this year, remember Drew's HR off the monster that he didn't get? You just gotta shrug off umpires though, hope they get the call right next time, and just forget their names so they realize how unimportant they are to you.

I thought that Francona would learn a lesson from Pettite giving up that HR to Tek. But hey, we have a well rested bullpen now and the Yankees can't toss out Chamberlain every night.

I have to admit, Dice has been better than I thought he was going to be. Plus, you add the fact than has has some terrible run support from the Red sox line-up.

The score was 4-3, so if you're gonna tout your pitching, we didn't use any of our 3 best relievers and we only gave up one more run than you did. It might've slipped your mind that our cleanup hitter (Manny Ramirez- remember him?), one who's had success against Clemens, was out of the lineup, replaced with a guy hitting about .200. As for the "aside from Farnsworth" part, Kyle Farnsworth is a little more important to the Yankees bullpen right now than you might think. He had been pitching well lately, and that was a good sign for them in light of the fact that Joba can't pitch on consecutive days. Once again though, with the pressure on, he fell apart.

These were two close games and the breaks seemed to go your way. If the season so far is any indication, the momentum is gonna shift about another 15 times between now and the playoffs, so I'm trying to keep a level head about recent developments (though I admit it's pretty hard).

Truthfully, I don't recall any close plays at first that the ump might've missed.

Again, not to get into a pissing match but:

1. Would the 3 best relievers have mattered? The Sox were losing.... considering their offense had been dormant all night what good could possibly have come from bringing them in? We saw this afternoon how most everyone is starting to think that the season is catching up with Okajima & well...... I'm about as confident in Gag-me as Farnsworthless. Placing blame I'd look at Beckett, last pitch of his got deposited in the left field stands for the winning run.

2. Farnsworthless almost gave the game away again, prompting Mo to have to come in for a 4 out save.

3. As far as the Manny being the difference, c'mon man.... last I checked there were 7 other guys in that lineup that are everyday players (your shortstop I left out as well as the left fielder)..... not one of them could step it up and produce? So if we are going to tout pitching I'd prefer to look at 5 1/3 hitless innings by Clemens.... not at who the Sox didn't use/didn't have available.

Lastly, yes these games are usually very close.... who knows there is even a chance these two teams will exchange the division lead again (I doubt it but ...... whatever).

The Sox just have no sense of clutch hitting...highest OBP in the majors yet down there in RS. I think that the so called Drew Syndrome has overtaken the entire team.

But yah, Francona made some questionable decisions in leaving both Matsuzaka and Beckett in an inning too long. I know he was trying to save the bullpen but when you send guys with over 100 pitches out there, you gotta have a quick trigger finger and Francona is missing that. We got outplayed this series...our pitching sucked, our hitting sucked, and our manager sucked...but we've just recently started taking our knocks and as long as we can get hot in the playoffs, I have some confidence. It's just...we signed JD Drew to be our big #5 hitter and what has he done?! Hit 7 HRs? Hit below the Mendoza line with RISP? Acks.

Basic gist of this is that I hate JD Drew.

3. As far as the Manny being the difference, c'mon man.... last I checked there were 7 other guys in that lineup that are everyday players (your shortstop I left out as well as the left fielder)..... not one of them could step it up and produce? So if we are going to tout pitching I'd prefer to look at 5 1/3 hitless innings by Clemens.... not at who the Sox didn't use/didn't have available.

We'll see if you feel the same way next year when ARod's not in the middle of the Yankee lineup anymore. ;)