SportsWrath

Giants linebackers looking to lead defense.

JMFP

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2014/05/giants_roster_once_a_position_of_concern_linebackers_looking_to_lead_defense.html

The Giants began last season comfortable with Dan Connor and Mark Herzlich in a battle for the starting middle linebacker position. Aaron Curry was supposed to challenge Jacquian Williams, Spencer Paysinger and Keith Rivers while adding depth to a linebacking corps that looked to be complete.

That's before Curry struggled in training camp and washed himself out of the competition. Connor injured his neck and Williams suffered from a few nagging injuries.

The unit was threadbare, forcing the Giants to make a deal for Jon Beason, which set into motion a far different future for the position.

Jameel McClain was brought in this offseason season to play strong side linebacker. Devon Kennard was drafted in the fifth round to provide

"You could imagine when Beason came in how that transformed our defense," Spencer Paysinger said this week at the United Way Gridiron Gala. "Give him a full year under this system, have him learn all the nuances of it, we're starting off in a better place.

"When you look at the linebacker room now, there's no way anyone can say linebacker is a weakness. I feel like we did some really good things in free agency. Bringing over Jameel, signing some free agents and our rookie linebackers, the room looks pretty strong right now."

Paysinger said the defense won't be undergoing a massive overhaul schematically, and that most of their base principals will be recognizable from the previous year. Adding Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Walter Thurmond, Quintin Demps and Nat Berhe will provide room for new wrinkles, though.

"We have some new components," he said. "But I think the base stuff will be true to form."

Yeah, love these pieces in May... we all talk about what's going to happen, how the team looks, how position groups look, yada yada yada... but it don't mean a hill 'o beans right now, or next month, or the month after that, or the month after that. Let's see how the team looks on September 8th... because that is the FIRST DAY any of this matters. We are all guilty of it... we assume we have something with the secondary, or the line is rebuilt, or you name it... but as we've seen so many years, things can and do change drastically before the first regular season game. So I take all of these stories this time of year with a grain of salt, while at the same time, I do have the optimism about what could be with the new players and especially with the new offense being installed under McAdoo.

I think us fans are going to be pleasantly surprised by Kennard. If he can stay healthy, he is going to do some serious damage to our opponents and will be the best LB'r we've had in ages that can rush the QB and rack up some nasty sacks. The big question is whether or not he can stay healthy. If he hadn't had so many injuries, he would've been a first round pick....or so say the "experts" and analysts that may or may not have a clue.

I think us fans are going to be pleasantly surprised by Kennard. If he can stay healthy, he is going to do some serious damage to our opponents and will be the best LB'r we've had in ages that can rush the QB and rack up some nasty sacks. The big question is whether or not he can stay healthy. If he hadn't had so many injuries, he would've been a first round pick....or so say the "experts" and analysts that may or may not have a clue.

Dude.

Dude.

???? Who am I talking to, a 9th grade kid who wears his pants down below his ass, is failing class, and who thinks it's cool to respond to an adult with "dude".

If you disagree, posit a thought out response. If you have some inside information that proves that Kennard is not good, or isn't going to be good, then speak up like a man.

I don't like to waste time with children who think calling a man "dude" is some kind of appropriate response.

???? Who am I talking to, a 9th grade kid who wears his pants down below his ass, is failing class, and who thinks it's cool to respond to an adult with "dude".

If you disagree, posit a thought out response. If you have some inside information that proves that Kennard is not good, or isn't going to be good, then speak up like a man.

I don't like to waste time with children who think calling a man "dude" is some kind of appropriate response.

Easy there dude, don't have a fit.

What's you're problem pdub? Are you mad at the world today or something? You don't usually come across like a teenager, but you sure are right now for some reason.

Am I mad at the world?

You got all that from a single word?

The guy who posted this response to the word dude:

appears a little more mad at the world.

As for me, I've never been happier overall in my entire life than I am these days. Life is great.

interjection 5. (an expression of shock, approval, sympathy, or other strong feeling):

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/dude

Dude, as defined by the dictionary as an expression of shock.

me simply being shocked at the idea of an unproven fifth round pick being the best linebacker we've had in ages.

no anger. and no reason to insult me. but im getting used to that.

The player that could surprise may be fifth-round pick Devon Kennard. He likely is the most versatile. That gives him the best chance to see the field sooner rather than later.

The Giants plan to start Kennard at middle linebacker, where there should be ample opportunity to surpass Mark Herzlich as Jon Beason's primary backup. If Kennard wins that job, Beason does have a pretty significant injury history.

Kennard will likely also learn the strongside linebacker position and be rotated in training camp as a situational pass rusher. Starting strongside linebacker Jameel McClain is less than a year removed from a serious neck injury and the Giants' pass rush is filled with question marks.

"He can rush the passer from the edge and he has been in the middle, so we are going to throw him in there and see if he can play middle 'backer, outside 'backer, SAM and put his hand down sometimes, too," vice president of player evaluation Marc Ross said after Kennard's selection with the 174th-overall pick. "It is up to [defensive coordinator Perry [Fewell] how he wants to use him, but he has done all three and we feel like he definitely right away can be thrown in at middle [linebacker] and then go from there."

Kennard, 22, would seem the most likely of the Giants' mid-to-late-round picks to contribute immediately for a variety of reasons. He has football in his bloodlines (father Derek was an offensive lineman for the Cardinals, Saints and Cowboys) and blew away the Giants with his knowledge of the game during his visit with the team. He also played at a football factory like USC. This should allow Kennard to adjust more seamlessly than most of the others during his rookie year.

"He was great on the board, he did an excellent job of that. He really convinced the coaches that he was a really sharp football player, a multiple position guy, a guy that would come in here and play the linebacker position for us, which is what he'll do," coach Tom Coughlin said. "So we're excited about that."

Kennard has talent too, otherwise he wouldn't have started as a freshman for Pete Carroll at USC. But he never seemed to get settled with the Trojans, switching positions every year as Carroll left for Seattle and USC continually tinkered with its defense. Kennard played four positions (strongside LB, middle LB, defensive end and outside linebacker) in four years, but at least it has provided him a wide web of football knowledge.

---------------------------

BTW pdub - that is straight out of NJ.com

You should write the author and simply respond to him with "dude"...so others can scratch their head and wonder why an asshole kid is writing who thinks he's cool to simply say "dude" as if Beavis and Butthead was the only show he ever watched and wanted to emulate their life.

You're a true gentleman. I appreciate and value your opinion and advice.

:thumbs:

This is the internet Pdoub, the appropriate response would be to call him a "faggot" and explain the numerous times you have had intercourse with his mother and or wife.

You're a true gentleman. I appreciate and value your opinion and advice.

:thumbs:

I simply would like to know why you think Kennard is a bust before he ever hits the field. Instead of a thought out opinion, you simply acted childish.

A couple of years ago I was shuttling people around Greek Peak and these three boys (about 13 - 14) were about to board when they said, "bout time dude", so I closed the door in their face and drove off. They started screaming and I simply flipped them off. They had to walk from the Adventure Center to the Taverna where they turned me in. Al Kryger (owner, president, and CEO at the time) talked to me and laughed and said, "good....we don't need assholes here to ruin it for everyone else".

As far as I'm concerned, simply saying "dude" is not only disrespectful of others, it shows incredible childishness. So I am not one who flatters assholes when they act like assholes.

McClain started last year for the Ravens, no?

McClain started 10 games. He had a spinal cord injury late in 2012 and missed the first six games.

From what I hear, McClain is a poor man's Keith Rivers. Rivers was impressive enough that most of us have already forgotten he was on the team for the past two years.

This group isn't one to get excited about... again, except for Beason. If that guy stays healthy we won't have to care who the two other guys are.

This is the internet Pdoub, the appropriate response would be to call him a "faggot" and explain the numerous times you have had intercourse with his mother and or wife.

If the word dude prompts those insults and personal attacks I received, imagine what that response would do.

If the word dude prompts those insults and personal attacks I received, imagine what that response would do.

Saying "dude" to my post was the first shot of insults...and I'm sure you know that. If you disagree with me and think Kennard is a bust already, then explain your position. Don't insult me because you disagree. And saying "dude" is not only disrespectful, it's assholish and a kid thing. I'm not a kid anymore and have low tolerance of kids who act like assholes.

Saying "dude" to my post was the first shot of insults...and I'm sure you know that. If you disagree with me and think Kennard is a bust already, then explain your position. Don't insult me because you disagree. And saying "dude" is not only disrespectful, it's assholish and a kid thing. I'm not a kid anymore and have low tolerance of kids who act like assholes.

This isnt the P&R section.

No need to fly off the handle.

Never saw or heard "Dude" as an insult.

Saw it as a statement of shock...as a response to the claim that Kennard could be the best LB we've had in ages. The player was drafted in the 5th round for a reason, and I have my doubts that his health was the only one.

Might he be a diamond in the rough, though? Sure. But he also might be a complete bust that never pans out. Fact is, none of us know. And that alone points to the 'best LB we've had in ages' comment as somewhat shocking.

Dude is the new 21st century version of calling out someones manhood.

I already explained my use of the word dude with a definition of the word.

no need to repeat myself. didn't insult anyone, but was met with insults. as per the usual these days with bleedin.

expressing shock at a 5th round rookie being the best linebacker we've had "in ages", doesn't equate to thinking he's a bust, so no need to explain that further either.

using dude as an expression of shock is not an insult, but was met with insults, as usual.