SportsWrath

Can Joe Torre ever be trusted again?

Ditto

Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:01 am EST

Can Joe Torre ever be trusted again?

Mind you, this is just a guess, but I have a feeling the New York Yankees won't be having that Joe Torre Day at the new Yankee Stadium anytime in the foreseeable future, according to New York Daily News MLB columnist Bill Madden.

Nor, one suspects, should Torre expect the Yankees to be renewing their customary table at his "Safe At Home" charity dinner. And when it comes to them finally getting around to retiring ol' No. 6, it's a better bet they'd do it to honor their newest Hall-of-Famer, Joe Gordon, or even perennial prodigal son Roy White rather than the man who wore it while managing them to four world championships.

It would be foolhardy to suggest Torre has trashed his Yankee legacy with his new tell-all tome, "The Yankee Years" written with Sports Illustrated's Tom Verducci. Four world titles, six American League pennants, 10 division championships and 12 straight trips to the postseason are an indelible record of accomplishment and a guaranteed place in the Hall of Fame. At the same time, however, I think Torre has tarnished his legacy, at least so far as the one overriding tenet with which he defined himself: trust.

Up front, I must say it's a compelling read, even if Yankee trainer Steve Donohue rubbing Roger Clemens' testicles with extra hot liniment before every start was probably more information than I needed to know. The book is chock full of behind-the-scenes Yankee intrigue and innuendo. Much more than you would have ever expected from Torre, the staunchest defender of the sanctity of the clubhouse. I suspect his former Yankee players - and not just the ones he couldn't stand, like Boomer Wells, Kevin Brown and Carl Pavano - are going to feel Torre violated that trust he talks about throughout the book.

Source: New York Daily News

I feel like a traitor, but I gotta read this book. This shit sounds better than the old Bronx Zoo.

Something didn't sound right about the guy when he dragged Pettitte to Houston with him. And, I wouldn't be surprised if he had a secret man crush on Piazza all those years.

so the bat throwing incident was really a show of affection?

• 2 weeks later...

I got the book...I'm in 50 pages and so far is SUCKS.

I'll never trust the bastard again..I expected something ..you know...informative.

He's breaking no new ground...nothing you haven't read in the papers and fucking zero option on players other then jumping on dicks left and right.

Then that fuck Verducci ...a fucking writer supposedly can't decide whether to tell the story so in chronological order or by individual Yankee personalities....for the fucker does both...but in flashback. Jesus.... I've had more linear acid trips.

I should have known when he entitled it the Yankee Years....like anyone gives a fuck about "the other years"....like I'm going to double back and read about him busting out a 500 season or two during the fucking Cardinal Years...

Man its times like this I hate my "you start a book...you finish the book" rule.

C. Wagon.

I should amend rule Joe, but I'm a sucker for this sorts of sports books...and 9 times out of 10 they Suck. The only good one on the Yankees' I've ever read was Sparky Lyles Bronx Zoo.

C. Wagon

I've been reading it, too, C, and I'd agree with you that it sucked, or would suck if I wasn't a Yankee fan. (been stuck on pg 109 now for 2 days) But, being a fan, I'm interested in a lot of the tidbits mentioned, like why certain moves weren't made and shit. It's history, and I like reading history, not that I could ever remember it. I think the boring crap stems from the way they talk up the favored players, and it's not nowhere near a juicy as all the hype. What I'm on now is why a lot of guys starting juicing.

I never read The Bronx Zoo, btw.

I've been reading it, too, C, and I'd agree with you that it sucked, or would suck if I wasn't a Yankee fan. (been stuck on pg 109 now for 2 days) But, being a fan, I'm interested in a lot of the tidbits mentioned, like why certain moves weren't made and shit. It's history, and I like reading history, not that I could ever remember it. I think the boring crap stems from the way they talk up the favored players, and it's not nowhere near a juicy as all the hype. What I'm on now is why a lot of guys starting juicing.

I never read The Bronx Zoo, btw.

I'm hoping it picks up DIt...I've got a long flight this week so I figure I'll knock it out.

Get Lyle's book (probably have to go to the Library at this point as I doubt it is still in print)....it is hilarious and if you were around in the 70's it'll be a great trip down memory lane for you.

Favorite part is the section about when the courts ruled that woman reporters could be in the locker room. To "celebrate" Lyle bought a huge (5 foot) sheet cake shaped like a cock. The female reporter (who brought the suit btw) saw it, was not amused and immediately went and started raging on Nettles figuring he was the one who bought the cake.

His reply.

"Nope..I didn't buy the cake. However I modeled for it".

C. Wagon.

Get Lyle's book (probably have to go to the Library at this point as I doubt it is still in print)....it is hilarious and if you were around in the 70's it'll be a great trip down memory lane for you.

C. Wagon.

Got it! Used but not abused, and it's on the way. :TU:

• 3 weeks later...
Torre's book is picking up some Dit...how you liking Lyles' Book?

C. Wagon

I just got Lyle's book today, so I didn't start it yet. As far as Torre's book, I made the mistake of putting it down when I got to the part about George. I just plain lost interest. So much for best seller lists.