SportsWrath

Johnny Football now #1 back-up (to the) clipboard holder

Treehugger

Browns name Josh McCown starting quarterback
  • By Around the NFL staff NFL.com
  • Published: Nov. 24, 2015 at 03:42 p.m.
  • Updated: Nov. 24, 2015 at 03:53 p.m.

The Cleveland Browns have made another switch at the quarterback position.

A week after naming Johnny Manziel the team's starting quarterback for the rest of the season, the Browns will revert to veteran signal-caller Josh McCown, the team announced. Manziel has been demoted to the No. 3 quarterback position on the depth chart, behind Austin Davis.

"Josh McCown will be the starting quarterback on Monday night against the Ravens," coach Mike Pettine said in a team-issued statement.

"I informed the quarterbacks of that decision after I sat down and spoke with Johnny, Flip (John DeFilippo) and Kevin (O'Connell) after practice today. Johnny will be the third quarterback. I've spoken to Ray (Farmer) and Jimmy (Haslam) to inform them of my decision, and they are in full support."

Around the NFL will have more on this story shortly.

"...head coach Mike Pettine took exception to a series of photos and videos that surfaced of Manziel allegedly partying during the Browns' bye week last week. The various media, which show Manziel wielding a champagne bottle just months after completing rehab, frustrated his head coach to a point that could seriously alter the Browns' future."

"...head coach Mike Pettine took exception to a series of photos and videos that surfaced of Manziel allegedly partying during the Browns' bye week last week. The various media, which show Manziel wielding a champagne bottle just months after completing rehab, frustrated his head coach to a point that could seriously alter the Browns' future."

His knocking the shit out of his girl friend is cool though....????

C. Wgano

Can't believe the NFL fell for the ESPN hype machine for "Johnny Football".

Dude had "ass clown" stamped all over him. Not sure what people missed there.

If it weren't for Cleveland, he was headed for 3rd round, I think. In this country of so many, it's so odd that you can't find 32 QB's. NFL needs a D league.

There's enough teams playing terrible back-up QBs. Why add an attitude issue to the mix too?

This is part I'm wondering about? He couldn't have been that bad of an employee if the Browns named him starter for the season. I'm not sure why him drinking during the bye week is such a big deal. Is he not allowed to do what he wants during his off time?

This is part I'm wondering about? He couldn't have been that bad of an employee if the Browns named him starter for the season. I'm not sure why him drinking during the bye week is such a big deal. Is he not allowed to do what he wants during his off time?

I am sure with his Past Party History the Browns have several Clauses in his contract.

Can't believe the NFL fell for the ESPN hype machine for "Johnny Football".

Dude had "ass clown" stamped all over him. Not sure what people missed there.

Dilfer put it best: He's the product of 23 years of enabling. He had a me-first attitude in college too but the Brown are the first to show him there are consequences.