SportsWrath

A look back at the OL and the shitiness that is Reese

mastershake

Just to put in perspective how shitty our OL's have been the past two years, particularly the Reese draft picks.

Ereck Flowers was off the team halfway through the season, replaced by an undrafted free agent Chad Wheeler, who managed to post bottom of the barrel PFF rankings himself, but was still considered better than Flowers a 1st round, top 10 pick.

Justin Pugh, the oft injured former 1st round OL, went on to Arizona and played less than half the season, after the year prior playing only 8 games, and only 11 games the year before that (clearly injury prone). He's ranked the #66 guard in 2018, i.e. a fringe starter at best better suited as a backup.

Weston Richburg, the former 2nd round OL, went on to San Francisco and is ranked the #33 center in the league in 2018, i.e. another fringe starter at best better suited as a backup.

FUUUUCCKK YOUUU Jerry Reese (and staff).

Have you ever seen a GM swing and miss on three top 50 offensive linemen? Yes, I know some will say Pugh had a few good moments, but in my view the moments were far too few.

If you look back at those Reese drafts something like 95% of the players are out of the league now.

However, I know I harp on this quite a bit, but you do have to put some blame on Coughlin's bottom-of-the-league conditioning program for a lot of that as well. Take a look at some of these high-round pics and what became of them:

Steve Smith: hurt

Jay Alford: hurt

Kenny Phillips: hurt

Terrell Thomas: hurt

Mario Manningham: hurt

Hakeem Nicks: hurt

Clint Sintim: hurt

Will Beatty: hurt

JPP: hurt

David Wilson: hurt

Justin Pugh: hurt

Those probably aren't all Coughlin's fault either, and I think there's more blame on Reese than TC, but how many years did we have to lead the league in soft tissue injuries for that guy to make a change? More than 14 I guess.

If you look back at those Reese drafts something like 95% of the players are out of the league now.

However, I know I harp on this quite a bit, but you do have to put some blame on Coughlin's bottom-of-the-league conditioning program for a lot of that as well. Take a look at some of these high-round pics and what became of them:

Steve Smith: hurt

Jay Alford: hurt

Kenny Phillips: hurt

Terrell Thomas: hurt

Mario Manningham: hurt

Hakeem Nicks: hurt

Clint Sintim: hurt

Will Beatty: hurt

JPP: hurt

David Wilson: hurt

Justin Pugh: hurt

Those probably aren't all Coughlin's fault either, and I think there's more blame on Reese than TC, but how many years did we have to lead the league in soft tissue injuries for that guy to make a change? More than 14 I guess.

Yep, agreed. And those are all rounds 3 and higher if I'm not mistaken.

I also tried to emphasize how bad Reese did with three top 50 picks on the OL side, including one of which was a top 10 pick. In fact, the top 10 pick Flowers might have been the worst of the three OLs. At the very least, it partially explains the garbage state of the OL that Schumer and Gettlement were dealt from Reese. I kinda, sorta give them a pass on this season offensively because of Reese.

Nicks came back way too fast. Durant and Julio jones missed almost an entire season with the same injury and he was back a couple of months later. They also had screws inserted in their feet and i dont think he did. Dont know if thats his fault though

There's no doubt a lot of bad luck involved in those injuries. I don't fault Reese for that.

But his evaluation of personalities was extremely lacking. He tended towards the raw, immature talent, and had no eye for the personality and passion that it takes to make it in the NFL.

Pugh was an outlier for him, a high floor need pick... That was when I started to worry.

There's no doubt a lot of bad luck involved in those injuries. I don't fault Reese for that.

But his evaluation of personalities was extremely lacking. He tended towards the raw, immature talent, and had no eye for the personality and passion that it takes to make it in the NFL.

Pugh was an outlier for him, a high floor need pick... That was when I started to worry.

Have you not heard of Jerry Palmieri who by extension also hired by Jerry Reese? Ask Seph to go in depth, he has theories. :laugh: