SportsWrath

Giants considering a run at defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh: sources

Mr. P

Now that Jason Pierre-Paul is sure to remain a Giant for at least one more season, there’s one more big question the Giants front office is considering:

How great would he look lining up next to Ndamukong Suh?

As improbable as it seems on the surface, several NFL sources believe the Giants are considering a run at the NFL’s top free agent when the start of free agency begins this Saturday. It would be an expensive move and difficult, since the Giants currently project to have only about $13 million of room under the NFL’s $143.28 million salary cap. But the possibility is enticing, since with the addition of the NFL’s best defensive tackle the Giants would immediately have one of the NFL’s best defensive lines.

The problem, of course, will be money. Suh, 28, has said he wants to be the league’s highest-paid defensive player. That puts his contract demands above the six-year, $100 million contract extension that Houston defensive end J.J. Watt signed in September – a deal that included more than $51 million guaranteed.

Suh will have plenty of other suitors, too. The Lions were considering placing their “franchise tag” on him, but balked because the $26.1 million price for one year was way too high. But they’ve made it clear they’ll be trying hard the next four days to keep Suh off the market.

And if he gets to the market he’ll be pursued by plenty of teams, most of whom have more cap space than the Giants. The Jaguars and Raiders – who rank 1-2 in cap space with a projected $68 milion and $54 million, respectively – have been prominently mentioned, along with the Colts ($41 million), Bears ($28 million) and Washington ($27 million), too.

All of them could dramatically out-bid the Giants. But there is one thing that could tip the scales in the Giants’ favor: Back in September, ESPN reported that Suh wanted to play in New York.

How much he wants that – or rather how much money he’s willing to sacrifice to make that happen – remains to be seen. But there is no doubt some in the Giants organization view Suh, who had 8 ½ sacks last season, to be just as much of a game-changer on defense as a top defensive end. With a healthy Pierre-Paul at one end and Suh and an emerging Johnathan Hankins in the middle, new defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo would have three-fourths of a dangerous front line.

That’s more than enough to get his defensive rebuilding project off the ground.

It is a steep price to pay, especially for a player with a history of on-field trouble. Suh has been fined or suspended eight times in the last four seasons for what the NFL calls “player-safety violations.” That included a two-game suspension in 2011 for stomping on the arm of a Packers offensive lineman, a $30,000 fine for kicking Texans quarterback Matt Schaub in the groin in 2012, and a suspension that was later reduced to a $70,000 fine for stomping on Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers’ injured calf last year.

The Giants, though, are likely more concerned about the financial implications of signing Suh. And one team source who conceded that a pursuit of the Suh has been discussed added that it’s unlikely the Giants would win a bidding war.

But that doesn’t mean they won’t be bidders. There’s precedent, too, for the Giants spending – or at least trying to spend – at that position, and even on a somewhat troublesome player. Back in 2009, when Washington made defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth the league’s first $100 million defensive player, the Giants made a stealth attempt to sign him.

Haynesworth said back then that the Giants shocked him that offseason with an $80 million bid.

The Giants still have a few days to decide whether they’ll try to shock Suh, too, or whether their resources will be better spent elsewhere. They still have work to do on their offensive line, and with Antrel Rolle heading for the open market the Giants could try to replace him by directing their cap space to free agent safety Devin McCourty.

And if they decide to pursue Suh, they’ll need to clear more cap space because it would take some incredibly creative structuring to fit a $100 million deal into the space they currently have. Remember, that $13 million will also eventually have to include about $6 million for draft picks. Plus, they need some of that space to fill other holes.

But if they can sign quarterback Eli Manning or cornerback Prince Amukamara to a contract extension, or maybe even reach a long-term agreement with Pierre-Paul, more cap space can be cleared. They also have several high-salaried players whose deals could be restructured, such as tackle Will Beatty and receiver Victor Cruz.

So a big splash in free agency is certainly possible, if they want to make one. And in this market, Suh would create the biggest splash of all.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/giants-run-ndamukong-suh-sources-article-1.2135702?utm_content=buffer4261c&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=AGrautski+Twitter

No way on earth we can afford him nor should we... Having him on the team sounds sexy and it would be great but at what cost? We already have Hankin and next to him we need to see Bromely... we have way too many areas that needs fixing and the DT ain't one.

Wow Giants offered Haynesworth $80 million! yeah I'm glad he passed on that. I'll pass on Suh if he comes here at the expense of the rest of the team for the next six years. All the money the Texans gave Watt pretty much guarantees they won't win a super bowl anytime soon.

Give him 6 years

$105 million

$65 million guaranteed

See if he comes here to ball out

I'd then sign Parker for S, Franklin on the OL and pray our draft is full of great prospects.

If Suh, JPP, and Hankins are all healthy going to war on the D, we will prosper in every aspect of football as a snowball result.

Risky, but so worth it IMO.

It's more a health risk then a motor risk.

I don't see Suh as Haynesworth 2.0, Suh has an incredibl motor and passion. He's also a very healthy player, so as long as that tend continues for 3-4 years into the deal at least then the deal is a Steal.

I dunno about Suh, man.

His on field issues are one thing... but he made a vow to the moon and stars that he'd search the honkey-tonks and bars, and kill the man that gave him that awful name.

That sounds like at least a six-game suspension.

How the hell so they only have 13 million in cap room? That seems significantly less than I expected.

We freed up nearly 9 million by releasing Walton and kiwanuka. Rolles contract is off the books now. Thurmonds contracts up....there's more than 13 million right there without counting any other free agent.

I dunno about Suh, man.

His on field issues are one thing... but he made a vow to the moon and stars that he'd search the honkey-tonks and bars, and kill the man that gave him that awful name.

That sounds like at least a six-game suspension.

Hahaha, that was good Seph. My name is Suh, how do you doooo!?

How the hell so they only have 13 million in cap room? That seems significantly less than I expected.

We freed up nearly 9 million by releasing Walton and kiwanuka. Rolles contract is off the books now. Thurmonds contracts up....there's more than 13 million right there without counting any other free agent.

We had a little over $24m. JPP's tag cost us $14m. The savings from Walton brought us back up to $13. We need to get a contract worked out for JPP and extend/restructure a few others.

We had a little over $24m. JPP's tag cost us $14m. The savings from Walton brought us back up to $13. We need to get a contract worked out for JPP and extend/restructure a few others.

Damn, the franchise tag sucks, I didn't realize all of that money counts against the cap...I admittedly have no clue how salary caps work as I suck with numbers and financial shit, but I always thought a fraction of what they are actually paid in a season goes against the cap for that season....but that's when there's a signing bonus, right?

So if an athlete is set to make, say 24 million in one year, all of that 24 million goes against the cap?

I'm not that good with it either. I believe it's base pay plus guaranteed/signing bonus spread across the length of the contract. So for 2 years $30 mil w/ $8m guaranteed the cap number would be whatever the base pay is plus $4m. At least that's how I understand it. Idk if that's how it actually works.

All contracts are different.

But with the franchise tag it all goes against the cap.

Well damn then...I don't feel like JPP is worth 14 million against the cap...

Well damn then...I don't feel like JPP is worth 14 million against the cap...

Neither do I. I'm hoping they get a long term deal done and soon or someone decides to part with the 2 1st rounds picks to sign him. Too many holes to fill through the draft alone and expect to compete.

I am always wary of signing a 'show me the money' player, regardless of their talent. I'm sure if Prince, Eli, JPP, Cruz all restructure, we could fit Suh in...but we'd still be thin elsewhere. We still absolutely NEED a S and an OG, likely a LB and DE. Those are 4 positions that should outweigh a luxury DT.

I'm shocked we threw $80 million towards Hayenesworth...that is the only thing that gives this story legs.

I am always wary of signing a 'show me the money' player, regardless of their talent. I'm sure if Prince, Eli, JPP, Cruz all restructure, we could fit Suh in...but we'd still be thin elsewhere. We still absolutely NEED a S and an OG, likely a LB and DE. Those are 4 positions that should outweigh a luxury DT.

I'm shocked we threw $80 million towards Hayenesworth...that is the only thing that gives this story legs.

Yep and signing Suh prevents Bromely from seeing the field. I don't see this happening.. besides Hankin is doing great as is.