SportsWrath

High School Student Asks Weatherford To Prom; He's Going

Mr. P

BAYONNE (WABC) -- A New Jersey teenager has become an instant celebrity after landing a celebrity prom date.

New York Giants punter Steve Weatherford is making a dream come true when he heads to Bayonne High School because of a tweet.

An 18-year old took a chance that the football player would respond.

And now, Lauren Delbert will have much more to tweet about when she appears with Weatherford on one arm after he agreed to take her to her senior prom.

Her tweet to him was direct, cute and very clever, an image of a football with the phrase "Wanna tackle prom with me?" How could you pass up the request?

"I thought she was halfway kidding, but when she said 'are you serious?', I'm like Yeah, sure why not," said Weatherford.

Lauren came up with the prom-posal after entering a contest involving the Giants punter.

"I wrote, 'I want to win Steve's fathead because I'm a big fan and I love him. A short time later he wrote back and said, 'Thanks, you're making me blush,'" she said.

"I'm actually going to reach out to her and coordinate my tux with her dress and figure out the rest of the details. I know she is going to bring her boyfriend. I don't want to steal all the spotlight," said Weatherford.

But once it hit the Twitter-sphere that Lauren and her boyfriend Steven Schumann and Steve Weatherford are going to the prom together:

"Everything started coming at me really fast," said Lauren. "Everyone wants to do interviews and talk to me. It's really cool."

Lauren says her boyfriend Steven is cool with Weatherford. And the punter said his wife and kids are OK with the idea.

"It will inspire a lot of people to give back without expecting anything in return, so it should be an exciting time," said Weatherford.

Lauren doesn't expect Weatherford to stay at the prom all evening. But walking in will be worth every minute.

"I think there is going to be a big crowd around us," Lauren said, laughing.

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/sports/pro/football&id=9512489