SportsWrath

Josh Freeman A Giant

Mr. P

I honestly don't know that much about Freeman. So I checked things out.

First off, I didn't know he was 6'6" (240 lbs). He's a big boy.

Secondly, his TD-Int ratio is 80-67 (not great, but a lot better than Eli last year)

Thirdly, he was a first round draft pick in 2009 (17th overall)

Fourthly, he's only 26 and has 5 years NFL experience under his belt. Looks like his best year was his sophomore year in 2010, when he twice won NFC Player of the Week, and twice won FedEx NFL Air Player Of The Week, and had a QB rating of 95.9 for the year. Don't know what happened after that.

Lastly, his QB rating over 5 years is 77.8

--------------------------------------------

I don't see Painter beating him out in camp for the backup position. However, only time will tell. This is a very low risk deal. Throw him in the mix and see if he can make the most of the moment.

A lot (I think anyway) is going to have to do with McAdoo's game plan. See if it works with our QB's.

He's not the future, but he can step in and win you a few games in a pinch. Curtis Painter couldn't win ONE fucking game on a team that was in the playoffs literally every year.

Definite upgrade.

Perfectly put.

I do believe Freeman is Painter's replacement not Nassib's but this article has some really interesting points:

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2014/04/nfl_draft_2014_with_josh_freeman_on_roster_should_giants_look_to_deal_ryan_nassib.html

• (talking about QBs in the draft): Early in the draft process, scouting expert Russell Lande relayed an interesting tidbit: An NFL executive told him that none of these quarterbacks were better than Nassib, a fourth-round pick in the 2013 draft that was considered by many to be a first-round talent. The Giants traded up to get him.
  • Dealing Nassib still leaves the Giants with a capable, 26-year-old backup who was on the verge of becoming a Pro Bowl-caliber player. In Freeman’s second, third and fourth seasons, he tossed just three fewer touchdowns than Manning, and 10 fewer interceptions. He threw for 766 more yards.

We were told last year that Nassib was the best QB and was going in the 1st round. I don't buy he's the best QB this year and what is a much better QB class.

I'm not buying that this is a much better QB class.

Of this class, the only guy I've seen enough of to form an opinion is Bridgewater, and I think he's incredibly overrated. His pocket presence is poor, and I was struck at how badly he folded or panicked when pressured.

So I'm just going off that, take it for what its worth - which is not much - but still, I'm not seeing how this is a better QB class than last year. Because if they're all on par with Bridgewater, then none of these guys are real NFL QB prospects.

I do believe Freeman is Painter's replacement not Nassib's but this article has some really interesting points:

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2014/04/nfl_draft_2014_with_josh_freeman_on_roster_should_giants_look_to_deal_ryan_nassib.html

• (talking about QBs in the draft): Early in the draft process, scouting expert Russell Lande relayed an interesting tidbit: An NFL executive told him that none of these quarterbacks were better than Nassib, a fourth-round pick in the 2013 draft that was considered by many to be a first-round talent. The Giants traded up to get him.
  • Dealing Nassib still leaves the Giants with a capable, 26-year-old backup who was on the verge of becoming a Pro Bowl-caliber player. In Freeman’s second, third and fourth seasons, he tossed just three fewer touchdowns than Manning, and 10 fewer interceptions. He threw for 766 more yards.

I'll bet that "NFL executive" was John Mara.

If Nassib pans out a few years from now to be another Tom Brady, the front office is going to look awfully smart. On the other hand, if he doesn't pan out...we'll never hear the end of it from the eternal pessimists.

I WANT Nassib to be the next Brady, but I can't stand these persistant claims that potential value = real value, and that the Front Office could simply off-load the guy for draft picks despite his complete lack of game time.

I WANT Nassib to be the next Brady, but I can't stand these persistant claims that potential value = real value, and that the Front Office could simply off-load the guy for draft picks despite his complete lack of game time.

Exactly. Teams passed on him three times over last year and some four. Teams aren't all of the sudden go, boy those five preseason snaps we've seen from Nassib really showed us we missed something.

He has already made history as the most talked about fourth round draft pick since Harry Carson. Nassib has simply mesmerized Giants fans with the growing list of other players the Giants could have drafted instead. I'm looking forward to that first preseason game this year when he makes it on the field, throws an incomplete pass and Giants fans around the world exclaim "Motherfuckin Reese Fucked Us Again with another player who won't be in the NFL after his contract expires".

Ryan Nassib, in the minds of Giants fans is the next great QB for the team and the latest and greatest failure of Reese all at the same time.

IF he gets traded, it's infinitely more likely it will be after preseason.

I don't see it though.

Agreed. They are bringing him up to speed and already have a pretty good idea what he can and cannot do. If they think he's the future, they'll keep him and bring him along slowly. If not, they'll trade him to some desperate team later. Maybe not after preseason, but probably just before the mandatory cuts on August 31 when the team has to be down to a 53 man roster.

NO ONE IS GOING TO TRADE FOR HIM. Curtis Painter has more trade value than Nassib.

That's why I said after preseason, he could obtain value by playing well in the preseason.

and why I capitalized IF.

Nassib would have to see real time against real defenses, not 19 snaps against 3-4th stringers, and there won't be much for him sitting behind Eli and Freeman (and maybe Painter). He'd have to play lights-out in a genuine competition for a starting job to attract any trade interest after preseason.

Nassib would have to see real time against real defenses, not 19 snaps against 3-4th stringers, and there won't be much for him sitting behind Eli and Freeman (and maybe Painter). He'd have to play lights-out in a genuine competition for a starting job to attract any trade interest after preseason.

I'm simply thinking that this offseason, he might gain some interest from his college play...but that goes away completely once the season starts.

Teams are not going to go back to his college tape. If they didn't like his college tape last year, they are not going to go back and think they missed something. Teams are scouting a whole new group of QB's and are going to develop their guy from rookie on.