SportsWrath

What's the deal with the Giants working out all these QB's???

BleedinBlue

Six days ago, the Giants worked out Rusty Smith (QB for the Titans), since then, they've worked out 1st round bust QB Josh Freeman (Vikings) and Packers QB, Matt Flynn. Apparently, they also talked with Rex Grossman and talks fell through.

Worked out 3 QBs and talked with another? WTF???

Before we bring in other teams' throw-away QBs that have fallen short of expectations - give Nassib the opportunity.

I think it's just about having some arms to have during all those team activities before training camp and everything.

Eli is going under the knife and will be back in a couple months, and even then I doubt the coaches will let him take full speed snaps for another few weeks to a month. You want the WRs to be able to have someone throwing passes to them who know what they are doing, and the more QBs you have at these things the more reps you can get out of WRs and players.

Not to mention maybe we find someone better then Painter to back up Eli.

It has more to do with Curtis Painter than Ryan Nassib. Bringing these guys in doesn't impact when Nassib is going to develop with the Giants. These are guys I would say McAdoo has a little more familiarity with than Painter. If we can get an upgrade over Painter, wouldn't be horrible. Nassib is probably going to see action this preseason but won't be the primary backup to Eli Manning this season.

Numbers.

You can't go into these workouts with just 2 qb's.

and it Freeman and Flynn both make sense, Flynn experience with Green Bay offense, Freeman experience with our old offense, our new one is probably a merging of the both.

Gotta be bringing the rest of the guys along in the new offense too so it all makes perfect sense.

My wish list would be Eli, Flynn and Nassib ultimately. Dump the rest. I know Flynn gets shit on because he only had 2 good games and absolutely raped the Seahawks (which makes me happy), but I think with the right development he could be a starter. Too bad a few years have been wasted, but you have to figure Eli is not going to be around forever, and Flynn could be a Kurt Warner type transition QB until Nassib come along.

That, or we're going to run Eli into the ground until he wins another SB, suffer a few years with some sucky-ass QB afterward, and draft the next franchise QB in 2018.

Somewhere in the first 11 picks there will be surprises and there will be trade downs... and by the time our pick comes the Giants may see there are as many as 4 or 5 players they thought are fitting at 12 that they may trade down a few spots and get another 2nd rounder in the process. The more I read about this Donald guy the more I think it makes sense... but I'm not sure we should address the DL before the OL... I feel we have enough bodies on the DL to keep it stable (hell a DE is more pressing that DT)... we lost Joseph and we have Hankin ready to step in.. .but the OL remains a question mark... even if we were to assume Beaty is back and strong, and Snee holds up... we have to plan for the near future where Snee will not be here in 2015 and who knows about the center position.

In that respect I totally see the Giants trading out of the 12th spot and still picking a solid OL (Lewan or Martin) and another OL and DL with the 2 2nd rounders.

My wish list would be Eli, Flynn and Nassib ultimately. Dump the rest. I know Flynn gets shit on because he only had 2 good games and absolutely raped the Seahawks (which makes me happy), but I think with the right development he could be a starter. Too bad a few years have been wasted, but you have to figure Eli is not going to be around forever, and Flynn could be a Kurt Warner type transition QB until Nassib come along.

That, or we're going to run Eli into the ground until he wins another SB, suffer a few years with some sucky-ass QB afterward, and draft the next franchise QB in 2018.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Don't say that, but it's most likely what will happen.

Unless the FO thinks Nassib is that guy... and that's why they protected him last year.

I'm afraid we'll never see what Nassib can do until Eli is gone. so there will be a few years of that for sure.

I'm afraid we'll never see what Nassib can do until Eli is gone. so there will be a few years of that for sure.

Eli isn't getting any younger and he's been extremely lucky injury-wise. I'm guessing Nassib won't be coddled as much this year.

I'm guessing when Nassib's rookie contract is up, he will get the hell out of dodge and not continue to waste his career sitting behind Manning. And Painter. And the water boy. For whatever reason.

Seriously, he will not be an Aaron Rodgers story...at least not for the Giants. He could get an opportunity somewhere, but it will not be for the New York Giants.

^This, he won't be here by time Manning retires. We are not going to force Eli out either. He'll be a Giant for has long has he wants too. With that being said, I don't see Eli being Favre and hanging on too long. I think Eli might be more like Boomer and retire at 35.

One of the hardest decisions one ever has to make is whether or not to put an old dog down. He's been loyal, loving, and acted the part of your best friend. But there comes a day when the dog can't function anymore and all the love and coddling won't bring back the days of his youth.

Not saying that Eli is at that point...but there is a love surrounding him by the fans. Heck, he's given us two super-bowls - half of all the super-bowls in Giants' history.

But if he really is "in decline", then that is a bitter pill to swallow. We'll know a lot more at the end of the season. If he throws interceptions like he did last year, even under a rebuilt O-line and new offensive coordinator....we are entering that phase mentioned above. I suppose it is smart of the front office to be looking at QB's and having drafted Nassib last year. They might know a whole lot more about Eli's problems last year than is made public. Personally, I was wondering if Eli had simply lost his love for the game. He has a beautiful wife, two beautiful baby girls, all the money he'll ever need and is set for life. I wondered all last year if Eli had just gotten to the point where football wasn't as important to him as his family. Whatever...it seemed his head just wasn't in the game last year and I questioned whether or not he had lost the fire that drove him early in his career. This coming season will tell us a lot. I don't think the team will sit back and watch him toss the football to the other team's defensive end to run back for a TD (that toss to DeMarcus Ware last year was classic bone-head play). I love Eli and hope last year was an aberration. If not - it's smart to be looking to the future.

Maybe it's the homer in me.. I think Eli's best years are ahead of him... granted not too many left. Last year was in an abberration and I do see a scenario where he leaves the game on a high note not relegated to some back up role. Looking back I can now see the wisdom in drafting Nassib much to the dismay of those of us who wanted that LB from Rutgers... The Giants saw Nassib sitting there in the 4th... so why not draft him in a no-pressure role where he can learn the NFL at a good pace? Eli can be very good with a running game and a good OL... Granted he will throw above average INTs no matter what.

I will never be bitter over Eli. As a NY fan, he has gave me many good games to remember. But it's fair to say he has more behind him than in front of him as a QB.

I love Eli as a Giant, he's been the face of the franchise and to my surprise a funny one at that.

I still think he has a good solid three or four seasons left in the tank, I mean let's give the guy a starting caliber O-line before we start talking about "decline"

However the Giant's do have to keep in mind Eli is 33, with two kids and two Superbowl wins under his belt. Eli could retire right now and still be making millions in the NY market and he's already accomplished everything in his NFL career and will go down as the best QB the Giant's have ever had under center.

I mean I don't know what the team will be like when contract talks start to heat up, maybe we are coming off playoff success, maybe we are a gutter team trying to push .500. I think if the Giant's are winning you will see Eli in blue after 2015, otherwise I think he retires or moves onto another team that might give him a better chance to compete.

Maybe it's the homer in me.. I think Eli's best years are ahead of him... granted not too many left. Last year was in an abberration and I do see a scenario where he leaves the game on a high note not relegated to some back up role. Looking back I can now see the wisdom in drafting Nassib much to the dismay of those of us who wanted that LB from Rutgers... The Giants saw Nassib sitting there in the 4th... so why not draft him in a no-pressure role where he can learn the NFL at a good pace? Eli can be very good with a running game and a good OL... Granted he will throw above average INTs no matter what.

Believe me, I hope they are too, but something just tells me we're getting to that area where things will change.

I love Eli as a Giant, he's been the face of the franchise and to my surprise a funny one at that.

I still think he has a good solid three or four seasons left in the tank, I mean let's give the guy a starting caliber O-line before we start talking about "decline"

However the Giant's do have to keep in mind Eli is 33, with two kids and two Superbowl wins under his belt. Eli could retire right now and still be making millions in the NY market and he's already accomplished everything in his NFL career and will go down as the best QB the Giant's have ever had under center.

I mean I don't know what the team will be like when contract talks start to heat up, maybe we are coming off playoff success, maybe we are a gutter team trying to push .500. I think if the Giant's are winning you will see Eli in blue after 2015, otherwise I think he retires or moves onto another team that might give him a better chance to compete.

I just feel something is going on we don't know about. I hope we don't waste several years bringing in people from the FA to limp along. Like I said, I like the guy, but he can't play for too much longer.

Shit in one hand and wish in the other. See which one fills up first, idiot.

Packers Keep Flynn

I'd love to be the lucky SOB who wins the job as the backup to Eli! Show up to meetings, practice, and on game day look good in a baseball cap carrying a clipboard, and make millions!

The only better job is being a 10 million dollar a year pitcher with a 7.35 ERA and 6-12 for the year, getting resigned for 3 years at 9.75 million per year when you're already 36 years old and have banked an average of 8 million per year for the last 12 years. Pitch about once a week during the summer. That describes about half of all the pitchers in MLB. Never seen an occupation pay so much for mediocrity. Heck - if you're good enough to sport a 15-5 record, you get signed to a 10 year contract worth 12- 14 million per year.

But you're right. Being a backup QB on a team while being paid well for getting a ringside seat every Sunday is a pretty sweet gig.

The only better job is being a 10 million dollar a year pitcher with a 7.35 ERA and 6-12 for the year, getting resigned for 3 years at 9.75 million per year when you're already 36 years old and have banked an average of 8 million per year for the last 12 years. Pitch about once a week during the summer. That describes about half of all the pitchers in MLB. Never seen an occupation pay so much for mediocrity. Heck - if you're good enough to sport a 15-5 record, you get signed to a 10 year contract worth 12- 14 million per year.

But you're right. Being a backup QB on a team while being paid well for getting a ringside seat every Sunday is a pretty sweet gig.

If you're left handed, you've got it made!