SportsWrath

You're the GM - Taylor Lewan or Zach Martin?

BleedinBlue

Martin is the safer pick, but Lewan may offer more upside. Martin's floor is lower.

One measurable that actually can't be measured is "how will it change a player once he's suddenly a millionaire"?

That's really tough. You try to figure it out by character assessments. In that regard, I think Martin is a much safer pick simply because he's like Pugh, and "just wants to play football". Lewan's character has been called into question lately. Questions about his work ethic and his recent arrest (one count aggravated assault and two counts of assault and battery) could be a warning sign. He's smart in that he has delayed his trial until after the draft.

Whether it's a true "Red Flag" or not...it probably hurts his draft stock a little.

One measurable that actually can't be measured is "how will it change a player once he's suddenly a millionaire"?

That's really tough. You try to figure it out by character assessments. In that regard, I think Martin is a much safer pick simply because he's like Pugh, and "just wants to play football". Lewan's character has been called into question lately. Questions about his work ethic and his recent arrest (one count aggravated assault and two counts of assault and battery) could be a warning sign. He's smart in that he has delayed his trial until after the draft.

Whether it's a true "Red Flag" or not...it probably hurts his draft stock a little.

The charges may not be a big deal, but it made teams delve into his character a little deeper and apparently he's an asshole off the field. Teams are reluctant to bring that into their locker room with the Incognito stuff. Funny rumor I hear is the Dolphins are thinking of trading for Lewan.

Funny rumor I hear is the Dolphins are thinking of trading for Lewan.

There's an awful lot of smoke screens out there this time of the year. I wouldn't trust any rumor at this point. Teams keep their real desires close to the chest and send out signals to throw other teams off.

That 15 minutes to make their decision in the first round is because this is when real trades are entertained. When two teams are willing to trade up, you are in the sweet spot. The team on the clock already knows who they want, but a trade in the offering can sweeten the pot so they sit there waiting for the phone to ring.

That's a good point. Nothing worse than the QB trying to pass the ball and banging it off the back of the head of his lineman because he's so tall....LOL

I have a hunch that Martin might go ahead of Lewan and might not be available. Everything I read says a lot of teams are enamored with him.

Personally, I'd be happy with either, but would prefer Martin just because of high character and versatility. Both are sensational prospects that will do well in the NFL. I trust the Giants have done their homework and have one rated higher than the other.

I really, really want the first round pick to address the offensive line. And someone who can come right in a play this season at a high level.

I won't make a big deal out Lewan's incident.

Another reason I like shorter linemen is because their center of gravity gives them the advantage. Our best OL was made up of Ohara Snee and Richie Suebert.

Martin gives you a probowl guard at the very least but considering we already have an OL with short arms I'd take Lewan. He's more of a risk but if he keeps his shit together he's a probowl LT. Neither will contribute right away unless Beatty isn't ready.

Martin gives you a probowl guard at the very least but considering we already have an OL with short arms I'd take Lewan. He's more of a risk but if he keeps his shit together he's a probowl LT. Neither will contribute right away unless Beatty isn't ready.

And that's why Schwartz was signed in case he had to move to LT in a pinch. There's not a OG worth it at 12. I have us drafting Trai Turner from LSU in round three. Young, can play both OG spots, would of been 1st round pick in 2015.

I'd take Martin over Lewan. Much safer pick, and his versatility means he can compete at any spot on the line.

We had 4 spots on the OL that were weak last year and we honestly only addressed one of them (LG). Who knows what we'll get out of Snee, Beatty, and whoever that guy is we signed to play center; Martin can step right in and play admirably for any of those guys. Plus, anyone who thinks we're getting through this year unscathed on the OL is dreaming.

And that's why Schwartz was signed in case he had to move to LT in a pinch. There's not a OG worth it at 12. I have us drafting Trai Turner from LSU in round three. Young, can play both OG spots, would of been 1st round pick in 2015.

If Beatty isn't ready then I gotta believe Pugh will shift over.

Here's the thing. Beatty isn't going anywhere this year (don't know his cap hit in 2016) but in 2015, it's high. If he's healthy, he's gonna play. Beatty can't play either guard spot, and wasn't exactly great at right tackle when he started a few games there in 2009. (it's different footwork though)

You just signed Geoff Schwartz to a 4 year deal to be your starting left guard. Looks like J.D. Walton is gonna be given a shot at center (think the Giants draft someone in the mid rounds to compete there) It's Snee's job to lose at right guard and obviously, Pugh at right tackle. I know Zach Martin can kick inside, same with Lewan.

I say draft Zach Martin. I have a hard time saying a male with the first name of "Taylor" is a tough guy, but that's just me.

Reese can't do anything about Beattys contract at this point, but if he sucks ass this season Coughlin does not have to play him at left tackle

Reese can't do anything about Beattys contract at this point, but if he sucks ass this season Coughlin does not have to play him at left tackle

$4.85 million is a lot too pay someone to sit the bench and like Golfy said he can only really play LT.

$4.85 million is a lot too pay someone to sit the bench and like Golfy said he can only really play LT.

I thought playing guard is a bit easier than tackle... but even then I don't think Beaty is as bad as he was last year.

I thought playing guard is a bit easier than tackle... but even then I don't think Beaty is as bad as he was last year.

It's not that it's that easier, but it's different footwork, assignments, mentality etc. Beatty is not built like a OG, has never played it and doesn't have the power for it.

It's not that it's that easier, but it's different footwork, assignments, mentality etc. Beatty is not built like a OG, has never played it and doesn't have the power for it.

Guards are basically a combination of brick wall and bulldozer. They hold the line, or push it open - depending on the play. A Tackle has to be a technician with great footwork, balance, and the ability to shuffle alongside a faster, quicker defense. A tackle has to be quicker than a guard as they have to be able to hold off pass-rushing DE's and LB's that try to get around the end of the line, but they also have to be able to hold the line or push it open for the RB to get through.

It's a lot easier to find a guard than a quality tackle.

Yea I agree. I think Beatty bounces back.

I have the left tackle spot pencilled in with an enormous question mark right now.

Beatty had an awful 2013 season which concluded with a broken leg. He did nothing to give me any confidence that left tackle has been adequately addressed.

I think if a true franchise left tackle is available, the Giants would be fools not to jump on it, beyond any other supposed draft need they might have (this assumes that the guys rated as top 10 picks are gone by the Giants get to pick).