SportsWrath

Aaron Donald

Sephiroth

I thought there was another thread about him, and if so, I apologize.

This guy has been shooting up draft boards and a lot of draftniks are predicting him to the Giants at 12. What do you all think? On one had, he's got a non-stop motor and is definitely disruptive. Seems to get stronger as the game goes on as well. On the other, he's really undersized (6'1" 285) and it's tough to imagine him dominating 350lb NFL guards.

Also, if we did draft him, he'd keep with the tradition of Lawrence Taylor, Michael Strahan, Carl Banks, etc. of players who get tackled on their way to the QB but mysteriously don't get a flag called.

He doesn't do much for me. I think from what I've read that he relied on his speed and quickness to get through the line. Once a linemen gets hands on him, he's often out of the play. It's a problem that in my opinion, will get worse at the NFL level.

He's got the motor, the tape, the college production, the fantastic combine, the dominant senior bowl... and he's a high character guy as well. I don't know what anyone doesn't like about him. He is one of the few guys that will come out of this draft and make a big impact right away. He's powerful, and he is going to be a dominant force in the NFL. Teams knew they had to double Donald all year and still couldn't stop him. Donald is my favorite realistic candidate at #12. A line with Donald next to JPP would be fantastic.

He gets beat up in that game against a good Oline. Against Notre Dame he had zero sacks and one tackle and Watt had him one on one most of that game. He either got to the QB or did nothing and his huge production games came against bad oline's, even Old Dominion shut him down.

A good (but long) analysis on him at BBV: http://www.bigblueview.com/2014/4/11/5566176/2014-nfl-draft-aaron-donald-film-study-new-york-giants

In summary: good at pass rushing and getting into the backfield to disrupt the game. Because of his smaller size, he will get pushed around by stronger, bigger lineman and needs to learn the NFL's methods of play fakes designed to get him chasing the wrong person. He will probably have to be removed for goal line stands.

Great at disrupting the backfield - not so great in stopping a power run game or recognizing plays as they unfold.

We already drafted a DT last year in the 2nd round... Hankin showed some pretty good flashes in the limited time he saw the field... and with Patterson back in the roation, we're set in that position.

We already drafted a DT last year in the 2nd round... Hankin showed some pretty good flashes in the limited time he saw the field... and with Patterson back in the roation, we're set in that position.

We need depth though. That's what killed us last year. Good starters at most positions, below average backup players. When injuries started piling up, we sucked. You can never have too many good lineman in the trenches on both sides of the ball. I'm old school and still think the quality of football teams are determined in the trenches.

I don't want a guy at 12 for depth and it's the same reason I argue against Oline.

The thing is though, whoever we draft at 12 on the O-line will be starting.

Either the coaches well Beatty has lost his job, or they kick Pugh inside and draft another tackle.

The thing is though, whoever we draft at 12 on the O-line will be starting.

Either the coaches well Beatty has lost his job, or they kick Pugh inside and draft another tackle.

They won't bench Beatty in year two of his contract and I've said before Beatty wasn't has bad has everyone thinks. The bulk of his sacks allowed came in two games against Hardy and Orakpo. Beatty also lacked a decent guard next to him. They signed Schwartz in the offseason. Pugh is staying at tackle and they will give Snee the RG spot. The NFL draft isn't the NBA draft with two rounds, they can get talented Olinemen for depth and to ease in has starters in later rounds, same thing with Dlineman.

Donald would make a great compliment to Hankins - rotating them for plays. Hankins is a monster who holds the line and won't let holes be pushed open for RB's. Donald is just the opposite and sheds linemen to penetrate and will throw the QB off kilter. In that respect, I'd love to have Donald. Just not in round 1. To many gems in round 1 that meet bigger needs for the team. And even though Donald is first round material, he will not be "Best Player Available" at 12. Maybe at 20, but not at 12.

Donald would make a great compliment to Hankins - rotating them for plays. Hankins is a monster who holds the line and won't let holes be pushed open for RB's. Donald is just the opposite and sheds linemen to penetrate and will throw the QB off kilter. In that respect, I'd love to have Donald. Just not in round 1. To many gems in round 1 that meet bigger needs for the team. And even though Donald is first round material, he will not be "Best Player Available" at 12. Maybe at 20, but not at 12.

Agreed

We need depth though. That's what killed us last year. Good starters at most positions, below average backup players. When injuries started piling up, we sucked. You can never have too many good lineman in the trenches on both sides of the ball. I'm old school and still think the quality of football teams are determined in the trenches.

That's what guys like Patterson are for. You want depth with rookies? I don't think so.

I still believe players taken in the first 2 rounds should be seeing a lot of playing time.

That's what guys like Patterson are for. You want depth with rookies? I don't think so.

I still believe players taken in the first 2 rounds should be seeing a lot of playing time.

Actually, that's pretty rare for rookies to get a lot of playing time. Pugh was the first Giant to start as a rookie in all games since Lawrence Taylor was drafted.

The thing with Donald is that he is a rare bird that can get to the QB from inside rather than outside. If we go back to the "Nascar Package" to flatten the QB, he'd be great to have. Hankins will plug the line as will Patterson. But it's rare to have an inside guy that can get to and chase down a QB. The downside to an inside lineman like that, is that they aren't all that good for stopping the run because they can get pushed out of the way to make a hole. Still...he'd be a nice option to throw in the mix now and then.

Playing time is predicated on practice performance. We take players based on what they can do for the team, sooner is better of course but putting a player out there before they are ready puts the team and the player at a disadvantage. The transition from the collegiate to the NFL level of play is substantial.