SportsWrath

Giants sign WR James Jones to one-year deal

Mr. P

or Washington could be part of the long list of receivers fans overvalued.

Anthony Mix, Brandon London, Dan DePalma, Michael Jennings, etc.

I'm sure Washington has limitation many fans overlook - but you really can't discredit what he's done in the past two offseasons. All reports say that offensively, he's there. It's his lack of special teams contribution that keeps him from dressing on Sundays. So I think it's less of an overvaluation and having more to do with the guys in front of him on the depth chart already...now with a James Jones.

WRs not seeing playing time because of a foreseen lack of contributing on special teams is such crap. That's what you have your backup defensive backs, linebackers, lineman, etc for. Those players actually play defense and tackle players. Yeah, sure, you have the occasional WR who dominates on special teams as a gunner or something like that. But why in the hell would you keep a red zone target from dressing because a David Tyree plays special teams a bit better? I understand that there are only so many game day roster spots available but using the excuse that he can't contribute on special teams when he's never even been put in a regular season game day situation to give it a try is weak.

I'm not saying that I think Corey Washington should be active I just don't like the theory. I also don't like the theory that keeps playmaking running backs off the field because they are perceived to not be able to pick up blitzes. So design a play that utilizes his abilities and go to him, don't keep him on the bench all game because there's a chance he might give up a sack!

It's not like the Giants special teams are any good, anyway! The excuses the team uses are so god damn lame, sometimes. Hell, probably at least 50% of kickoffs don't even get returned anymore! Steve Weatherford is a decent punter and he's alright at placing the ball. You put Corey Washington out there on special teams for every game last year and it's pretty much assured that no harm would have came from it.

WRs not seeing playing time because of a foreseen lack of contributing on special teams is such crap. That's what you have your backup defensive backs, linebackers, lineman, etc for. Those players actually play defense and tackle players. Yeah, sure, you have the occasional WR who dominates on special teams as a gunner or something like that. But why in the hell would you keep a red zone target from dressing because a David Tyree plays special teams a bit better? I understand that there are only so many game day roster spots available but using the excuse that he can't contribute on special teams when he's never even been put in a regular season game day situation to give it a try is weak.

I'm not saying that I think Corey Washington should be active I just don't like the theory. I also don't like the theory that keeps playmaking running backs off the field because they are perceived to not be able to pick up blitzes. So design a play that utilizes his abilities and go to him, don't keep him on the bench all game because there's a chance he might give up a sack!

It's not like the Giants special teams are any good, anyway! The excuses the team uses are so god damn lame, sometimes. Hell, probably at least 50% of kickoffs don't even get returned anymore! Steve Weatherford is a decent punter and he's alright at placing the ball. You put Corey Washington out there on special teams for every game last year and it's pretty much assured that no harm would have came from it.

CW did get into a game, maybe 2 or 3, last year I think, but certainly not many. I agree, the ST excuse bothers me. If the guy can contribute on offense and score points, then get him in the game in some fashion. Backup WRs do play ST though, along with backup DBs, LBers, linemen, etc. Further, I can't argue against having players fill dual roles...as it frees up roster spots for other positions. I still think having guys like Dave Diehl, or maybe Justin Pugh and Weston Richburg now...who play multiple positons on the offensive line provide an enormous advantage and playing multiple positons on the offensive line is an extremely undervalued attribute of players coming out of college. But, if the Giants want to try to create that same advantage with WR/ST play, I can't say it's the worst decision ever, but I think they could be more prudent in who they do it with and not make it a mandatory thing - for reasons you pointed out - lack of returns, good punter, other players with ST ability.

But what gets me, is when CW is given a small chance, he does pretty well. So you'd expect them to give him a little more of a chance...and what do they do? They put another stumbling block (James Jones) in his way. That's not a knock on Jones, just a shitty thing for CW. I think to suggest that they're hamstringing the offense by not letting CW would be going too far, but you don't want to see a talent wasted just because the player doesn't do this other thing well. I, for one, think CW has shown enough talent that the lack at the other thing, ST, should be overlooked a little bit more.

what stuck out to me last year was that on our very first goal line snap in game 1 CW was out there. then his chances were pretty sparse for most of the season, so im guessing he didn't show something in practice that discourage coughlin

what stuck out to me last year was that on our very first goal line snap in game 1 CW was out there. then his chances were pretty sparse for most of the season, so im guessing he didn't show something in practice that discourage coughlin

All articles I've read point to that "something" being special teams play. I'm guessing here, but maybe there was something CW did on specials that first game that irked the coaching staff enough to revoke that responsibility?