SportsWrath

Giants' Eli Manning finishes 12th in ESPN QB rankings, called an 'interception machine'

Nas

A personnel director also drew the Cutler comparison, saying a team asking Manning to carry its offense with a pass-happy approach would get "more Cutler than consistent play" and that, like other players in the second and third tiers, Manning needs a combination of running game and defense to succeed. There is no shame in that, but it's what separates the best from the good enough.

I really don't care about rankings, but this kind of comment is fucking idiotic--no shit that a QB on any team needs a combination of defense and running game to succeed. Peyton can't do it, Fouts couldn't do it, Brees can't do it--certainly not with any consistency. At best, a QB will be able to carry a team to a Lombardi without a defense or running game 1 or 2 times in a career, and only by playing out of his mind. That's what made 2011 so amazing, and why I have so much respect for John Elway for what he accomplished with Reeve's Broncos. Or Marino's Dolphins, for that matter.

Frankly, this team has asked Eli to win without a running game, defense, or offensive line since 2011. As much as I admired MacKenzie for his time here, he was barely an obstacle his last year here--same with Diehl and Snee in their twilights. The only thing this team has had going for it for a few years now is Eli and a few wide receivers--and the wide receivers have had a hellacious time staying on the field together.

Comparing Manning to Cutler is ridiculous--Cutler is a QB with an attitude problem on an average team. The Giants teams that have actually stayed on the field since 2009 have rarely been average. And I've never heard anyone say something about Manning's attitude--his appearance, sure--but not his attitude.

Nas, I don't get the Roethlisberger love either--other than he benefited from a great line/running game/defense early in his career, which let him win. He looked just as bad during Pittsburgh's rebuild.

Yeah there are plenty of opinions on Eli Manning. After the 2007 season it has been more about the strengths and weaknesses of the team than his ability. I understand the ranking of Roethlisberger because he does what his team needs and they come through for him.

Eli had a good season last year in a brand new offense. Roethlisberger had a phenomenal season, though.

I have no issue with Eli being losted as 2nd tier. My issue is with him being ranked behins Rivers, Ryan, Wilson and tied with Stafford.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2015/07/giants_eli_manning_finishes_12th_in_espn_qb_rankin.html

I tend to agree with everything here.. I just don't get the Rothlesburger love...

Well, he can suck my ass, here's some things Eli Manning has done that no other QB in the history of the NFL can claim.

- Won 5 road playoff games
- Completed 100 passes in a postseason (106 in 2011)
- Thrown for 1,200 or more yards in a postseason (1,219 in 2011)
- Led two game winning TD drives in the final 4 minutes of a Super Bowl
- Win a Super Bowl with the 32nd ranked rushing offense
- Lead at least 21 4th quarter comebacks (including playoffs) in his first 8 seasons (Tom Brady is 2nd with 20)
- Beaten Tom Brady and Bill Belichick 2x in the postseason
- Win 2 road playoff games at Lambeau field
- Win at least 6 playoff games against teams who went 13-3 or better
- Win 10 road games in a single season (including playoffs, 2007)
- Win a Super Bowl with a defense that allowed 400 or more points
- Win a Super Bowl while accounting for over 80% of your teams offense (threw for 4,933 of our 6,161 yards of total offense)
- Throw for at least 27,000 yards in his first 8 seasons while winning a SB in that span (he's won 2, and 2 MVPs), only 4 other QB have thrown for 27,000+ in their first 8 seasons, none of them won a SB though.
- Thrown 2 go ahead TD's in the 4th quarter of a Super Bowl
- Driven his team down to score the winning TD in the Super Bowl with less than 2 minutes to play when anything less meant defeat. (i.e. 4 point+ deficit)

I like Eli. He's been spectacular for us and he'll likely go down as the best Giant QB ever when he retires. I can't argue that.

My ONLY issue with Eli, really isn't that much about Eli as it is about Rivers and Roethlisberger.

What we gave up to get Eli when we could've had Ben or Phillip without giving up those picks DEMANDED that Eli be THAT much better than those other two. And folks can throw up all the obscure stats they want, it just doesn't pass the smell test.

I think about Roethlisberger as a Giant. Could he have won with the teams Eli had? I think so. Could Rivers have won with the teams Elli had? I think so, though to a lesser extent than Roethlisberger. All these years later, I think I'd rank these three QBs into two slots. Tied at #1 would be Eli and Ben. Not far back at #2 would be Rivers.

Now, you look at some of the attitudes and off-field stuff and Eli has that nailed down over the other two.

But, then you look at consistency and Eli isn't quite there like the other two.

Again, you can look at this group forever and always find where one did slightly better than the other in this, but flip flop it for some other statistic. And because it's like that, I'll just go back to the price to get Eli...it was just too much given the other options.

Now, with all that being said, with the offense changing last year and Eli's performance improving, he has a huge chance to sway my opinion. Because if he improves over last year and is more consistent under McAdoo - it will look like Gilbride's system was holding Eli back and it wasn't so much Eli underperforming in spots.

I like Eli. He's been spectacular for us and he'll likely go down as the best Giant QB ever when he retires. I can't argue that.

My ONLY issue with Eli, really isn't that much about Eli as it is about Rivers and Roethlisberger.

What we gave up to get Eli when we could've had Ben or Phillip without giving up those picks DEMANDED that Eli be THAT much better than those other two. And folks can throw up all the obscure stats they want, it just doesn't pass the smell test.

I think about Roethlisberger as a Giant. Could he have won with the teams Eli had? I think so. Could Rivers have won with the teams Elli had? I think so, though to a lesser extent than Roethlisberger. All these years later, I think I'd rank these three QBs into two slots. Tied at #1 would be Eli and Ben. Not far back at #2 would be Rivers.

Now, you look at some of the attitudes and off-field stuff and Eli has that nailed down over the other two.

But, then you look at consistency and Eli isn't quite there like the other two.

Again, you can look at this group forever and always find where one did slightly better than the other in this, but flip flop it for some other statistic. And because it's like that, I'll just go back to the price to get Eli...it was just too much given the other options.

Now, with all that being said, with the offense changing last year and Eli's performance improving, he has a huge chance to sway my opinion. Because if he improves over last year and is more consistent under McAdoo - it will look like Gilbride's system was holding Eli back and it wasn't so much Eli underperforming in spots.

Talent wise, the other two may be ahead of Eli, total package, how would Ben handle the NY media pressure in dealing with the bike crash and two rape allegations? How would Rivers handle the NY press when they tore him up over his temper tantrums? I think when you look at how Eli lets shit roll off his back, and there has been a shit ton of criticism from his play to his leadership, he still went out and won two super bowls. I honestly can't say if Ben would have won two super bowls in NY, but I'm confident that Eli would have won two in Pitt.

I think Eli suffered from our team not having a good D especially with those atrociously incompetent coordinators and also Gilly's offense that became just too predictable. In my book, Eli is top 10.

Has he ever missed a game yet?

Id give a few untimely interceptions for a guy who shows up every sunday.

With that said, we could have had Roth for nothing, while we gave up alot to get Eli.

Roth has two rings as well.

Has he ever missed a game yet?

Id give a few untimely interceptions for a guy who shows up every sunday.

With that said, we could have had Roth for nothing, while we gave up alot to get Eli.

Roth has two rings as well.

Correct but how many times has Roth had a D that couldn't stop anyone? or a predictable pass happy offense.. or no running game? I'd take Eli over Roth every time... even with the price we paid for Eli.

Hate to say it, but Eli is nowhere close to Ben. This is also not a career achievement ranking, it's a going into this year ranking. Ben is easily top three with Rodgers and Brady

So Eli is nowhere close to Ben because the Steelers are a better team than the Giants lately?

Talent wise, the other two may be ahead of Eli, total package, how would Ben handle the NY media pressure in dealing with the bike crash and two rape allegations? How would Rivers handle the NY press when they tore him up over his temper tantrums? I think when you look at how Eli lets shit roll off his back, and there has been a shit ton of criticism from his play to his leadership, he still went out and won two super bowls. I honestly can't say if Ben would have won two super bowls in NY, but I'm confident that Eli would have won two in Pitt.

That's what I meant by "attitudes and off the field stuff" and Eli having that nailed down over the other two.

Well, he can suck my ass, here's some things Eli Manning has done that no other QB in the history of the NFL can claim.

- Won 5 road playoff games
- Completed 100 passes in a postseason (106 in 2011)
- Thrown for 1,200 or more yards in a postseason (1,219 in 2011)
- Led two game winning TD drives in the final 4 minutes of a Super Bowl
- Win a Super Bowl with the 32nd ranked rushing offense
- Lead at least 21 4th quarter comebacks (including playoffs) in his first 8 seasons (Tom Brady is 2nd with 20)
- Beaten Tom Brady and Bill Belichick 2x in the postseason
- Win 2 road playoff games at Lambeau field
- Win at least 6 playoff games against teams who went 13-3 or better
- Win 10 road games in a single season (including playoffs, 2007)
- Win a Super Bowl with a defense that allowed 400 or more points
- Win a Super Bowl while accounting for over 80% of your teams offense (threw for 4,933 of our 6,161 yards of total offense)
- Throw for at least 27,000 yards in his first 8 seasons while winning a SB in that span (he's won 2, and 2 MVPs), only 4 other QB have thrown for 27,000+ in their first 8 seasons, none of them won a SB though.
- Thrown 2 go ahead TD's in the 4th quarter of a Super Bowl
- Driven his team down to score the winning TD in the Super Bowl with less than 2 minutes to play when anything less meant defeat. (i.e. 4 point+ deficit)

I think the point is all about the other thing he did. Set a record for interceptions.