SportsWrath

Best Giants GM (1980s - Present)

JMFP

Best Giants GM (recent history)  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Who among these GMs did the best job during their tenure?

• George Young
    • Ernie Accorsi
    • Jerry Reese

I guess there was nobody before George Young or there aren't enough members to remember who that was. I'd have to go with Ernie Accorsi because Jerry Reese is still the GM and there is so much more of his career in the NFL in front of him than behind him.

I guess there was nobody before George Young or there aren't enough members to remember who that was. I'd have to go with Ernie Accorsi because Jerry Reese is still the GM and there is so much more of his career in the NFL in front of him than behind him.

15 years of no playoff appearances culminating in Joe Pisarcik's Miracle in the Meadowlands. That's what was before George Young.

Rozelle convinced the Mara's to hire him.

15 years of no playoff appearances culminating in Joe Pisarcik's Miracle in the Meadowlands. That's what was before George Young.

Rozelle convinced the Mara's to hire him.

Yeah, only 2 GMS before Young.....Ray Walsh from the 1940s to the 1970s, and then Andy Robustelli for a few years before Young.....so to keep things relevant, I excluded those two and stuck with the 1980s on. The 1970s were the dark ages of NY Giants football....I remember being a kid, during those years, and me only memories of the Giants was listening to the anguished cries of my dad from the den.

The 1970s is why there are so many Cowboys, Steelers, Dolphin, and Raider fans in NJ.

I honestly think with the Beckham pick and what I think will be a 2015 draft class for the history books, Jerry Reese will ultimately go down as above Accorsi and Young but right now, with the Manning trade and workhorse guys like Chris Snee, Justin Tuck, Brandon Jacobs, and Osi Umenyiora as well as smart and key free agent signings like Antonio Pierce, Kareem McKenzie, and Plaxico, the nod right now has to go to Ernie Accorsi. Granted, George Young was around during my formative years and I don't know all that much about transactions during that period---I was just a kid so I merely WATCHED the Sunday product. But Accorsi, in my opinion, was largely responsible for the two Super Bowl wins that I am old enough to remember.

I'm gonna say EA simply for the Eli trade, without it I don't think the Giants are lifting two more Lombardi trophies.

Sure I feel the Giants would of been able to compete with Big Ben but who knows what happens and if history can repeat itself, maybe with Big Ben the Giant's finish with different records therefore different draft positions and different drafted player. Maybe JR doesnt have the same 2007 draft that was essential to the first SB win.

I just don't think without Eli the Giant's arnt the 'four' time SB champions.

tch...kids...

Look at where the GMs started, and what they accomplished. Neither Accorsi or Reese had to start with such complete incompetence as Young did. When Young took over in 1979, the team hadn't seen a playoff game since 1963, and the team's owners weren't even on speaking terms. The Giants were in the same category as the Saints, the Bucs, and the Lions. Perennial doormats. The coaches were inept. Out of the players, the only ones that saw pro bowls on any consistent basis were Harry Carson and the punter, Dave Jennings. Occasionally Van Pelt and Kelly.

In 15 years, they had 2 winning seasons. The last one was over half a decade before Young was hired. What he had to accomplish was probably more difficult than starting off with an expansion team--he didn't have luxury to start from scratch, he had to tear down an entrenched culture of failure first, then start from scratch. And do it without a ringing endorsement from the owners. Oh, and do it entirely through the draft, since there really wasn't any such thing as free agency.

Within 3 years, we won a playoff game. Within 5 years, we were playoff contenders annually. And say what you will about the 1990's (they were some boring teams with awful offenses), the bottom line is there were only 4 losing seasons in the entire decade, including one under Accorsi's watch.

True, Young never really got the hang of free agency--but at the time, no one really did (San Fran cheated, Dallas got its rings via Hershel Walker and slowly dwindled throughout that decade). But neither Reese or Accorsi comes close to what Young accomplished. I don't have to criticize either one of them to claim that.

I'm gonna say EA simply for the Eli trade, without it I don't think the Giants are lifting two more Lombardi trophies.

Sure I feel the Giants would of been able to compete with Big Ben but who knows what happens and if history can repeat itself, maybe with Big Ben the Giant's finish with different records therefore different draft positions and different drafted player. Maybe JR doesnt have the same 2007 draft that was essential to the first SB win.

I just don't think without Eli the Giant's arnt the 'four' time SB champions.

Compete with Phillip Rivers, you mean? Or are you thinking if they hadn't had Eli in the plans, they would have went with Ben?

Compete with Phillip Rivers, you mean? Or are you thinking if they hadn't had Eli in the plans, they would have went with Ben?

Yeah I don't think the Giant's would of stayed with Rivers personally if they didnt do the whole Eli trade.

Big Ben would of been more of an EA guy in my opinion and Coughlin would of gushed over an QB like him.

Yeah I don't think the Giant's would of stayed with Rivers personally if they didnt do the whole Eli trade.

Big Ben would of been more of an EA guy in my opinion and Coughlin would of gushed over an QB like him.

Yeah, I tend to agree with you. I also think we probably couldn't have gone wrong with Rivers, Ben, or Eli....but would we have won 2 championships? Impossible to say but I like to think that no one else other than Eli could have come through in the clutch like that. Rivers hasn't proven he can. Ben has to some extent but nothing miraculous on Eli scale.

Yeah, I tend to agree with you. I also think we probably couldn't have gone wrong with Rivers, Ben, or Eli....but would we have won 2 championships? Impossible to say but I like to think that no one else other than Eli could have come through in the clutch like that. Rivers hasn't proven he can. Ben has to some extent but nothing miraculous on Eli scale.

Yeah that's what I was trying to say in my post, I mean without the Eli trade who knows how all the futrue drafts would of went and even if we had the team/coaches that we do today with a different QB.

Maybe Big Ben has more success early on and EA keeps his job for a few more years, JR leaves to be the GM of another team and Gilbride is now coaching the team.

Maybe Rivers tanks cause he cant handle the NY media and we are still rebuilding from the debacle, as Coughlin goes to the other NY team instead of Sexy Rexy and the Jets are hosting another Lombardi.

Yeah, only 2 GMS before Young.....Ray Walsh from the 1940s to the 1970s, and then Andy Robustelli for a few years before Young.....so to keep things relevant, I excluded those two and stuck with the 1980s on. The 1970s were the dark ages of NY Giants football....I remember being a kid, during those years, and me only memories of the Giants was listening to the anguished cries of my dad from the den.

The 1970s is why there are so many Cowboys, Steelers, Dolphin, and Raider fans in NJ.

New York too... it used to be such a Late Boomer thing ... I remember at Brooklyn Tech it was only me and my Italian friend DeMeo who were open Giants fans... the horror...the horror...

Nah, I just assume anyone who didn't vote for George Young is too young to know better.

I didn't pick Young because of his latter senility and stubbornness... three reasons... The Ultimate QB - Dave Brown; that coach Ray Handley; and then his understandable hatred of The Prostitute Bill Parcells that he purposely sabotaged his return because of said hatred for leaving the Giants in a lurch. Young burned my soul when he made those decisions... he is my Prodigal Son... but unlike the Biblical rendition...there is no coming home for me with George... :P As an Old Timer like you I get a dispensation for my festering hate... consume me it will... but its mine...

He did save the franchise though... so perhaps one day I will release my hate and become TaylorBanksCarsonvanPelt once again... or at least TBCvP... :o

But Gut...Fringe... you don't understand the POWER of the Dark Side...

I didn't pick Young because of his latter senility and stubbornness... three reasons... The Ultimate QB - Dave Brown; that coach Ray Handley; and then his understandable hatred of The Prostitute Bill Parcells that he purposely sabotaged his return because of said hatred for leaving the Giants in a lurch. Young burned my soul when he made those decisions... he is my Prodigal Son... but unlike the Biblical rendition...there is no coming home for me with George... :P As an Old Timer like you I get a dispensation for my festering hate... consume me it will... but its mine...

He did save the franchise though... so perhaps one day I will release my hate and become TaylorBanksCarsonvanPelt once again... or at least TBCvP... :o

But Gut...Fringe... you don't understand the POWER of the Dark Side...

Oh, I understand the Dark Side--my hatred of the Eagles is like unto the mighty Amazon: murky, filled with deadly creatures. It runs deep and long. I long for the return of Ray Rhodes to the Philly sideline--he is the coach they deserve, not the one they need.

I blame Parcells for the hiring of Handley--an offense that shall never be forgiven, and if Young is responsible for him never being a Giant coach again, then I want to vote for Young a second time for not falling for that raging ego's bullshit again. Yes, Parcells rebuilt teams after the Giants--but when did he ever stick around long enough to finish the job?

Did Young's decisions cause a failure in rebuilding a 3rd time (1979 and 1984--after Parcells fucked the dog)? Sure. It ended a golden age of his creation.

But without him, we might still be reminiscing about guys like Huff and Gifford--and how horrible would that be?

Oh, I understand the Dark Side--my hatred of the Eagles is like unto the mighty Amazon: murky, filled with deadly creatures. It runs deep and long. I long for the return of Ray Rhodes to the Philly sideline--he is the coach they deserve, not the one they need.

I blame Parcells for the hiring of Handley--an offense that shall never be forgiven, and if Young is responsible for him never being a Giant coach again, then I want to vote for Young a second time for not falling for that raging ego's bullshit again. Yes, Parcells rebuilt teams after the Giants--but when did he ever stick around long enough to finish the job?

Did Young's decisions cause a failure in rebuilding a 3rd time (1979 and 1984--after Parcells fucked the dog)? Sure. It ended a golden age of his creation.

But without him, we might still be reminiscing about guys like Huff and Gifford--and how horrible would that be?

Gut... I am torn ya know my abiding Hatred of The Prostitute... a phony yet winning coach... And you are quite right he is a starter and not a finisher. B & H... Brown and Handley have scarred me for life. To take the nucleus of good team and have it desecrated by their ineptness... makes me scream ...no bay at the Moon at night. Yes The Prostitute with his two months before the season starts... my health can't take anymore... no Prostitute it was more like you couldn't share the credit with the guy who didn't fire you after you initial season of horribleness... didn't he go 1 and 15 or was it 3 and 13... both suck beyond all belief. He was the one to say to the owners... give him a chance...he will right the ship. Prostitute is very good about protecting his brand...not by coincidence he has not won it all since severing ties with the Prince of Darkness... the Other Bill... :P